Music in Film: Favorite scores, songs, soundtracks, and scenes

Tools    

I am surprised no one mentioned this yet. Or at least the search function did not return anything!

I love the music in films!

Here are a few of my favorites:

When I heard this piece in Moonrise Kingdom I thought to myself, if I ever get married- I might want to walk down the aisle to this:

Recently watched Beasts of the Southern Wild and I loved the music:

My favorite scene from Edward Scissorhands:

In Indian films there is no separate genre called "Musical" because all Indian films have songs in it (Bollywood or Non Bollywood)...there were films in the 30's that even had as many as 40/50 songs in them...the reasons of which lay deeper in the history, tradition and culture...things we are not going into right now...with time the number of songs decreased but never evaporated and probably never will (specially if we are talking about mainstream)...sometimes they help to move the story forward, sometimes they successfully create a mood and most of the times they only delay the proceedings...whatever they may do, there is no denying the importance of songs in Indian cinema. I mean films become hits because of the songs that are there in them...Film songs in India had their golden period in the 50's and 60's, from mid 70's steadily declined...had it's worst times during the 80's and early 90's...

would like to post some of my favorite Indian Film Songs in this Thread in due time...let's see

A Clockwork Orange, Donnie Darko, V For Vendetta, and Django Unchained all have great soundtracks.

Here are some (only few) of my favorite film songs:

1. Song: Ajeeb Dastan Hai Yea / Singer: Lata Mangeshkar / Music Director: Shankar-Jaikishen / Film: Dil Apna Aur Preet Parai (1960)

2. Song: Waqt Ne Kiya / Singer: Geeta Dutt / Music Director: S. D. Burman / FIlm: Kagaz Ke Phool (1959)

3. Song: Suhani Raat Dhal Chuki / Singer: Geeta Dutt / Music Director: Naushad Ali / Film: Dulari (1949)

4. Song: Wahan Kaun Hai Tera / Singer: S. D. Burman / Music Director: S. D. Burman / Film: Guide (1965)

5. Song: Kahan Ho Kahan / Singer: Talat Mahmood / Music Director: Sajjad Hussain / Film: Sangdil (1952)

6. Song: Gazab Kiya Teri Wade / Singer: Noor Jahan / Music Director: Khursheed Anwar / Film: Intezar (1956)

7. Song: Raat Akeli Hai / Singer: Asha Bhosle / Music Director: S. D. Burman / Film: Jewel Thief (1967)

Wonderful rendition of Raag Miya Malhar! You know, I didn't go to Indian Classicals while posting, thinking that it might be a bit difficult for the first timers...

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
The soundtrack for Drive is one of the main reasons I love this movie so much. The opening credits with Nightcall, the Tick of the Clock during the first drive, Real Human Being driving through the LA river and all the rest.

There is not a movie I know of where all forms of the arts blend so seamlessly.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Battle of Algiers - Ali's Theme and Sorrow In The Casbah (Pontecorvo, Morricone)

Touch Of Evil - Tara's Theme (Mancini) - in specific, the ascending and descending baroque.

A Woman Under The Influence (piano by Bo Harwood) that sounds exactly like John Lennon's "Mind Games" and is fitting (before Mabel walks into the bar)

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
In Indian films there is no separate genre called "Musical" because all Indian films have songs in it (Bollywood or Non Bollywood)...there were films in the 30's that even had as many as 40/50 songs in them...the reasons of which lay deeper in the history, tradition and culture...things we are not going into right now...with time the number of songs decreased but never evaporated and probably never will (specially if we are talking about mainstream)...sometimes they help to move the story forward, sometimes they successfully create a mood and most of the times they only delay the proceedings...whatever they may do, there is no denying the importance of songs in Indian cinema. I mean films become hits because of the songs that are there in them...Film songs in India had their golden period in the 50's and 60's, from mid 70's steadily declined...had it's worst times during the 80's and early 90's...

would like to post some of my favorite Indian Film Songs in this Thread in due time...let's see
If I didn't know that you were talking about Indian movies I would think you were refering to Hollywood!

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

I know I will probably be banished for eternity for bringing up a T.V. show but I just have to. Cowboy Bebop has one of the best soundtracks ever. That is all.

I know I will probably be banished for eternity for bringing up a T.V. show but I just have to. Cowboy Bebop has one of the best soundtracks ever. That is all.
It's simply true.

You sir are a gentlemen and a scholar for posting that link.

I also have to add Clint Mansell to the conversation. I love most of his music and if you are in the mood for it, the soundtrack for Requiem for a Dream is awesome.

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
Kurtz's death scene in Apocalpyse Now to the tune of The Doors' The End:

Probably my favorite Western scene ever in terms of musical score:

Another Western fave or mine:

I'm probably a little biased towards The Lord of the Rings, but Howard Shore's soundtrack was the best I've ever heard. I felt as though I was living in Middle-earth, taking a walk through The Shire and Rivendell. Being a massive Middle-earth junkie, I will never forget the way Shore's music is able to take me on a journey through Middle-earth with the Fellowship.

I need someone to confirm if this series is as badass as this theme, so that I can proceed to watch it