The MoFo Top 100 Film Noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I tried to help this film get more fans:

From the Noirvember 2023 thread
The Set-Up (1949)
Robert Wise

My first and only viewing of this excellent noir was eight years ago in the very first Noir HoF, hosted by me. It was Holden Pike's nomination and I was impressed. So much so that I've never forgotten it. Last night I revisited The Set-Up and if anything was more impressed with the film.

I was utterly impressed at how polished the film was. The direction by Robert Wise is perfect. The performance by Robert Ryan was real, not acting, I believed him, the boxing looked real too. Audrey Totter is good here, I enjoyed her screen time as much as I did Robert Ryans.

Talk about world building! The Set-Up in one long sequence that's set in the locker room, gives us so much insight into the comradery, hopes, dreams and fears of these boxers. We see what they have to go through in a hope to move up the boxing ranks. I appreciated the sequences where Audrey Totter, who's too nervousness about the fight walks around Paradise City and is constantly reminded of the dangers her husband faces in the ring. Loved the realistic look of this dingy little town and the people who inhabited it. The resolve at the end is perfect.

So you noir fans, watch it, consider it for your ballot if you really like it.

I forgot the opening line.
Nothing at all for me during the last 8 reveals...

Latest Review : Mona Lisa (1986)

That original ending was dark as f*ck, even for noir.
I know! I'm still ticked that it ruined any chance for a sequel.

I only got to see The Set-Up after the deadline, but I loved it. Robert Wise is one of my favorite directors who could work in almost any genre with skill, and this was no exception. Robert Ryan was 40 when this film came out but somehow he always seened to carry a "bit older" vibe and look about him, for me at least. Still, I totally bought him as a man in his mid-30s still puching away, trying to make something out of his going-nowhere boxing career. Audrey Totter is aces as his worried wife, just knowing that he's not going to make it out of the ring one night after being beaten so much. Everybody else was fine, especially George Tobias as his manager, who does not have his boxer's best interests in mind. You can't help but get invested after the half-hour stretch in the locker room, where various boxers tell of their hopes and dreams only to came back either a winner or a soon-to-be hospital occupant. One boxer keeps talking about how one boxer got beaten time-after-time only to finally escape the Paradise City venue and become World Champion. But you just know that this is but a dream for almost all these guys. Still, our hero just wants to beat this one guy and make enough to buy an interest in a boxer, not just for him, but for his wife's future also.

When Ryan finally gets in the ring, the fighting is not pretty like a Rocky movie, but messy, sweaty, and close-up business, with no slow-motion stuff going on. I love Rocky films but this is pretty much the real deal. I liked the set of Paradise City, where everything seemed to be about playing a game or getting entertained, like a mini-Reno or something. And Totter's nervous walk around the town helps offset her husband's fight, where she's constantly reminded of what he does to try to make money. The final minutes of the movie are great, with Ryan facing bad odds and Totter trying to make something good out of it. This is almost a perfect movie for me and again, another one I wish I'd seen before the Countdown because this would surely have been in my Top Ten.

I've heard of Ride the Pink Horse but didn't even know it was a Noir. I like Robert Montgomery both as actor and director so I'll definitely give this one a shot.

#4 The Big Combo List Proper List Proper #52
#6 Kansas City Confidential List Proper #53
#14 Kiss of Death List Proper List Proper #59
#15 He Walked By Night List Proper #88
#16 The Naked City List Proper #60
#22 This Gun For Hire List Proper #78
#25 Crossfire List Proper #51

The Set-Up was my #23. Powerful classic boxing tale film noir and probably my favorite noir starring Robert Ryan.

SEEN 24/56
BALLOT 5/25

John-Connor's Film-Noir Top 50:  

I had The Set-Up at #23. I first saw it for a noir hall of fame several years ago. This is what I wrote about it then:

The story is very simple and the movie barely cracks 70 minutes, but it's all atmosphere and mood, dark alleys and flashing lights, criminals and losers. Ringside is where the darkness of people's souls are exposed, the one-eyed man screaming for the boxer to take out the other boxer's eye, the large man stuffing his face round after round, the housewife screaming for blood, where chants of "Kill him!" wash over the fighters in the ring.

At the center of the movie is a boxer who's over the hill, but still dreaming, still telling himself he's only one punch away from being on top again, and his loyal wife, who can't stand to watch him get beaten up again. There's poignancy in these scenes, and the actors are terrific. Robert Ryan is the perfect lead, a former boxer in college, and much of the movie is focused on his fight and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. I can see why Martin Scorsese was a fan of the movie.
My List:
11. Where the Sidewalk Ends (#66)
20. This Gun for Hire (#78)
23. The Set-Up (#46)

#44 Criss Cross (1949)

Director: Robert Siodmak
Production: Universal Pictures
Cast: Burt Lancaster, Yvonne De Carlo, Dan Duryea
106 Points, 8 Lists

'An armored truck driver and his ex-wife conspire with a gang to have his own truck robbed on the route.'

#43 The Narrow Margin (1952)

Director: Richard Fleischer
Production: RKO
Cast: Charles McGraw, Marie Windsor, Jacqueline White
109 Points, 10 Lists

'A woman planning to testify against the mob must be protected against potential assassins on the train trip from Chicago to Los Angeles.'

Criss cross just barely missed my list. An excellent noir only held back by the unbelievable naivety of its protagonist. I also have some issues with the final 15 minutes, but it's still excellent. Our femme fatale's speech at the beginning, in the parking lot, is classic.

Seen 5 of 58

2 and 2 seen AND 2 and 2 from my list!

I saw Criss Cross last year for one of the MoFo HoF and I loved it. You can read my full review here, but here's an excerpt from it:

"This film is one of those perfect encapsulations of what film noir is. From the flashback narrative to the dim-lit cinematography, from the romance to the heist, from the lead man thrust into a situation he feels he can't control to the femme fatale you're never really sure where she stands on. It's all in there, in prime form."
I had it at #11, but it could probably be a bit higher. It has certainly stuck with me.

The Narrow Margin is one I saw a couple of years ago and I really liked it. It is a very lean and stripped down thriller. Feel free to check out my full review here, but here's an excerpt from it as well:

"The performances are not necessarily flashy, but they're all effective in doing what they're supposed to do; rough cop, feisty woman, tough bad guys, and it all works extremely well with the snappy dialogue that allows them to shoot one liners as fast as they do punches or bullets. In addition, the narrow and cramped corridors of the train help to amp up the claustrophobia of our characters, and how trapped and with no escape they are."
I had it at #17. At 70 minutes, it's a very breezy and fun watch.

SEEN: 11/58
MY BALLOT: 6/25

My ballot  

Some list facts!
  • The 6 point gap between yesterday's Ride the Pink Horse and today's Criss Cross is the second largest of the countdown; obviously after yesterday's 18 point gap.
  • With Criss Cross, Robert Siodmak joins the group of directors with multiple entries. He had Phantom Lady at #69.
  • With a 100% RT score and a 7.6 IMDb rating, The Narrow Margin is tied at the top of the countdown on both. Others with the same scores/ratings are Odd Man Out (#47), and Where the Sidewalk Ends (#66).
  • The Narrow Margin is only the second entry whose ballot count (10) hits the double-digits. The other one was Crossfire (#51) who also had 10. Obviously, from now on, most entries will fall on that category.

Another day, another choice from my Top Ten.

As I said when Phantom Lady (#69) was revealed, to me and many Noir enthusiasts Robert Siodmak is THE director of the genre’s classic age. Criss Cross is arguably his best, along with another title that is more famous and will likely be top ten on the collective list. Lesser known or not, Criss Cross is fantastic. Burt Lancaster stars as a lovelorn man who returns to L.A. He thinks the last thing in the world he wants is to reunite with his ex-wife (Yvonne De Carlo), but once he sees her he can’t deny that he is still drawn to her. Unfortunately for him she has remarried, to a violent gangster (Dan Duryea). Don’t you hate it when that happens? Rather than give up on the idea Lancaster gets embroiled in heist with the gangster. He works driving armored cars and has a plan to knock one over when it is most full of cash. Double crosses upon double crosses are on deck from there.

This may be the best use of Los Angeles locations in a Noir, or any film of that era. The Bunker Hill neighborhood and the famous Angels Flight are the perfect den for this tale of mistrust and betrayal. I had Criss Cross ninth on my ballot, seventeen of its hundred and six points. On another day it could have been even higher on my list. It is a magnificent Noir. Like The Set-Up it is ridiculous where it falls on the collective, but so be it. Hopefully more of you MoFos see it, now.

HOLDEN'S BALLOT
3. Too Late for Tears (#81)
4. The Set-Up (#46)
8. Odd Man Out (#47)
9. Criss Cross (#44)
12. The Big Combo (#52)
13. Phantom Lady (#69)
14. Born to Kill (#84)
18. He Walked By Night (#88)
19. Fallen Angel (#80)
22. Panic in the Streets (#98)
24. Crossfire (#51)
25. The Crimson Kimono (DNP)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240402_115134_Google.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	98307  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Finally a couple more from my list!

I had The Big Combo at #16 and D.O.A. at #21.

The Big Combo is a fantastic noir, and thinking back, I probably should have put it in my Top 10. It is a quintessential noir, one that ticks all the boxes and is a great example of what noir can be.

D.O.A. is also great, with the fun mechanic of the poisoned man trying to track down his killer as the last hours of his life tick away.

Both films are must-sees in the genre, IMO.

The Narrow Margin and Criss Cross both have Neo Noir remakes from the 1990s. The 1990 version of Narrow Margin was directed by Peter Hyams (Capricorn One, Outland, Running Scared) and is worth a watch if only because Gene Hackman is Gene Hackman and James B. Sikking enjoys his best non-"Hill Street Blues" role. As much as I love Criss Cross I kinda like its remake, too. Retitled The Underneath (1995) it was directed by Steven Soderbergh. Soderbergh has pretty much publicly disowned it, but I think it works very well, especially being the first time I really noticed the wonderful character actor William Fichtner, playing the Dan Duryea part.

Criss Cross is another classic film noir by Siodmak that I like but not the one I chose for my list. I haven't seen Narrow Margin but I'm adding to my watchlist every noir that ranks this high up seeing as enough Mofos are voting and telling me I should.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."