Who is the most overrated director?

Tools    

If you think Orson Welles is overrated, let's here your opinion why.
What I meant was that I was suprised nobody mentioned him. What's your opinion on him?

I'm personally gonna have to disagree with some people on the thread, heres why:

Shyamalan
First 2 films were genius. The sixth sense took the ghost/horror genre and turned it all around, it asked "What if what we are all scared of only wanted our help?" Unbreakable was as realistic as a superhero movie could possibly be it was a slow paced movie where Bruce Willis's character comes to terms with his powers, if any of you can find me a better superhero origin story i would like to see it. Also the twists were great in both. His other films couldnt quite live up to his first two but his talant can't be agued.

Tarintino
This is biased as he's my favourite director but 5/6 of his films have been near-perfect. I will admit that i wasnt a huge fan of Death Proof but Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are modern masterpieces, i refer particularly to the Public Bathroom scene in RD and the samurai sword scene in PF. Even his other fims strand on their own. Jackie Brown boasts an excellent story with great characters, Kill bill has that unbelievable fight scene at the end of vol. 1 and Inglorious Basterds takes two differant stories and intertwines them to create an explosive, memorable fanale.

Overall you are entitle to your opinions. However, the real overrated directors out there are the likes of Rob Zombie and Michael Bay who make cheap cash-in films.

Overall you are entitle to your opinions. However, the real overrated directors out there are the likes of Rob Zombie and Michael Bay who make cheap cash-in films.
But, I believe, most film fans don't rate them at all, let alone overrate them.

However, the real overrated directors out there are the likes of Rob Zombie and Michael Bay who make cheap cash-in films.
Well, there's a difference between being rated as in "critically acclaimed" and box office success. Of course, critical acclaim sometimes equals box office success.

Michael Bay = box office success but sucks
Michael Patrick King = box office success but Sex in the City

PTA = critically acclaimed, very modest box office success

Interesting thread...Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge! was ok but certainly seemed like he got raves for his direction and I wasn't bowled over by it. Some of Robert Altman's films are iffy for me although I think he is a good director, could be his style at times that bothers me a bit. Can't get into Tarantino, preferred the performances and script Tarantino wrote for Pulp Fiction more than his direction of the film.

I think I have to agree regarding Kubrick...loved THE SHINING and I find EYES WIDE SHUT a fascinating enigma, but the rest of his resume doesn't impress me.

I have seen 6 Kubrick films so far, and for me The Shining is his weakest. It's still very good though.

Captain of #yoloswag
Honestly, Tarantino. I don't think his movies are awful, but they're not great. They typically have good acting, but that's about it. You know who else uses obnoxious violence in all his movies? Uwe Bole, just saying. Not too much, or too bloody. Just obnoxious.

Also, Terence Malick. The Thin Red Line is just...not good. Honestly.

Captain of #yoloswag
If you think Orson Welles is overrated, let's here your opinion why.
Citizen Kane is a classic. He didn't make anything else that was particularly amazing. One incredible film doesn't make you one of the greatest directors of all time, even if that one film is one of the best films ever made.

I think most of Welles' other movies are better than CK.

PS - Your avatar would be better if it said Swillbo Swaggins. Alliteration isn't that hard, people. Do it.

[edit]: PPS - Hereby laying claim to Dildo Daggins, Fartmo Faggins and Squidmo Squaggins (The most eldritch little Hobbit of them all).

Hmmm.... Wim Wenders... Hal Hartley...

Guy Maddin is somewhat overrated and underrated.

Tyler Perry just plain sucks.

Have I made anybody mad yet?
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Honestly, Tarantino. I don't think his movies are awful, but they're not great. They typically have good acting, but that's about it. You know who else uses obnoxious violence in all his movies? Uwe Bole, just saying. Not too much, or too bloody. Just obnoxious. .
If you can't tell the difference between a Tarantino movie and a Uwe Boll movie, then you are lost.

Citizen Kane is a classic. He didn't make anything else that was particularly amazing. One incredible film doesn't make you one of the greatest directors of all time, even if that one film is one of the best films ever made.
ONE great film? Seriously?

Are you even aware of his other films? He has made some of the most spectacular and influential films of all time in terms of directing.

On the outside looking in.
The real overrated directors out there are the likes of Rob Zombie and Michael Bay who make cheap cash-in films.

I was not aware they were highly regarded (and Michael Bay may make cash-in films, but they are seldom cheap).

I don't even have Orson Welles that much explored, but with stuff like Chimes at midnight, Touch of evil and even, The stranger, as well as his acting -and probably directing influence- in The third man, I wouldn't say his career was exactly a one-hit wonder. But whatever, to each their own.

I don't even have Orson Welles that much explored, but with stuff like Chimes at midnight, Touch of evil and even, The stranger, as well as his acting -and probably directing influence- in The third man, I wouldn't say his career was exactly a one-hit wonder. But whatever, to each their own.
Don't forget The Magnificent Ambersons, The Lady from Shangai and The Trial! Three VERY respected films among critics and cinephiles.

Citizen Kane is the only film of his I don't like

I had the impression The Trial was underrated.
It totally is

On the outside looking in.
Don't forget The Magnificent Ambersons, The Lady from Shangai and The Trial! Three VERY respected films among critics and cinephiles.

I would second THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI but any support from me would doubtless make you reconsider your position.