Hollywood Boulevard (1976)
25.00%
3 votes
Gremlins (1984)
16.67%
2 votes
Innerspace (1987)
12 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I really enjoy Joe Dante's movies just wondering what you Guy's and Gals think about the stuff he's done and what's your favorite thanks

Here's the other movies Joe Dante has done if you like one of these more than the ones in the poll tell me please thanks

Small Soldiers (1998)
Matinee (1993)
Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990)
Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) (segment 3)
Howling, The (1980)
Rock 'n' Roll High School (1979) (uncredited)
Piranha (1978)
Movie Orgy, The (1968)

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Damn, I like too many of the ones you listed. Since it's not multiple choice I went with Gremlins.

I loved, and still do, Explorers when I was little. I wanted it on DVD a while back, but I have a feeling it's not released yet. The 'burbs, Explorers, Gremlins, Small Soldiers, thought all of these were hilarious in their own respect. Wouldn't call them the greatest ever made, but each hold that Dante humor you'll find in all of his movies.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

come on Guys & Gals Holden , TWT , Patti , Sades , thmilin everybody tell me what you think of the guy or just tell me what's your favorite out of his movies.

Also can anyone tell me about Small Soldiers (1998) I haven't seen it yet is it good? , Thanks

The 'burbs is my favorite, I voted for it yesterday. I already went on and on about it in another thread, so I'll spare you. Gremlins would be in a strong second place. Matinee was fun, but not as good as it should have been.

Small Soldiers was disappointing (especially in the theater). It's a lamer, tamer version of Gremlins, but without anything new or witty added. I suppose it's OK as a mild rental, but it's not very good, no. Not even the all-star ensemble for the voice work has anything to offer. The outtakes on the DVD with Jay Mohr and David Cross were more entertaining to me than the actual movie. Sadly this was Phil Hartman's last film work, and it's not a great way to go out. I'd give it a generous grade of C-.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I voted for "The 'Burbs" as well. "Gremlins" takes a close second. I really, really dislike "Small Soldiers." I wouldn't even call it average...it had moments that make me think it could end up being quite enjoyable, but in the end, I walked away feeling as if I'd seen nothing at all...which is kind of an odd feeling. I resisted the temptation to vote for "Innerspace." The only reason it was an issue at all is because I saw parts of it, and hard about it as a kid, and I thought the entire concept was remarkably cool.

Thanks guys for the comments, The Gremlins surpirsed me I hadn't seen it for like 14 years. I saw it used for 4 bucks VHS so I picked it up and pop it in and boy was I shocked at the amout of violence.

I didn't remember any of it. I can't imagine the way I felt as a kid of 7 or 8 watch those Gremlins being put into the microwave and all that other stuff.

Oh ! here's the link Holden was talkin about on The 'Burbs

http://www.movieforums.net/showthread.php?threadid=1424

thanks again guys

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I liked Small Soldiers. When I saw it at the theater I really didn't like it, I found it cheap on DVD so I bought it. Not one of the BEST, but still not that bad of a movie.

Not really a fane of Dante, but I like The `burbs.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I'm not old, you're just 12.
GREMLINS!!!

Best movie.

I didn't remember any of it. I can't imagine the way I felt as a kid of 7 or 8 watch those Gremlins being put into the microwave and all that other stuff.
I was frankly terrified of the movie when I was a kid. I was always afraid that there would be gremlins under my bed waiting to bite my feet when I got up to use the bathroom.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Lets put a smile on that block
I love a lot of Dante's movies, but i think Innerspace is my fave. Martin Short is brilliant in it. I like it when those scientists get shrunk and theyre all squeeky, hee hee!

I haven't seen Gremlins since the eighties, probably.

It surprises me that it's so popular. Not because I thought it sucked back then, but I don't remember it being really good. I should watch it again...if I can ever force myself to want to.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I haven't seen Gremlins since the eighties, probably.

It surprises me that it's so popular. Not because I thought it sucked back then, but I don't remember it being really good. I should watch it again...if I can ever force myself to want to.
Gremlins is good. It's dark and funny and twisted and damn fun (and Phoebe Cates is always easy on the eyes). The sequel, which was made about four or five years too late, is not near the same level as the first, but it too is very fun, has some great bits in it, and really deserved a better fate than it got boxoffice wise (I LOVE John Glover in it, as the Trump-ish tycoon).

Since I never rated all his flicks in the first post (years ago now), I'd say...

1. The 'burbs, B+
2. Gremlins, B+
3. Innerspace, B-
4. The Howling, B-
5. Matinee, B-
6. Gremlins 2: The New Batch, C+
7. Explorers, C
8. Small Soldiers, C-
9. Piranah, D+

I loved some of the segments he did for the multiple-directed spoof Amazon Women on the Moon, especially the "In Search Of..." parody "Bullsh!t or Not" with Henry Silva ('Was The Loch Ness Monster in fact Jack the Ripper?') and the funeral that turns into a Friar's-style "Roast Your Loved One" with old time comics Henny Youngman, Jackie Vernon, Slappy White, Charlie Callas, Rip Taylor and roastmaster Steve Allen.

His segment in Twilight Zone: The Movie is a distant second best to George Miller's brilliantly executed "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet", but that being said it is much better than Spielberg or Landis' tales. A re-make of one of the classic TV episoides "It's a Good Life", following a strange boy who holds a whole little hamlet hostage with the ability to make anything he says or imagines come to life. Dante's dark humor and taste for the surreal makes it work pretty well.

One of the things I love to look for in Dante's flicks is character actor Dick Miller. Miller has appeared in all of Joe Dante's features from the Roger Corman entry Hollywood Boulevard in 1976 onward. Sometimes they're only cameos, but he's always there.

ROBERT PICARDO & DICK MILLER as the garbage men of The 'burbs

And I haven't bothered to see Looney Tunes: Back in Action yet. Truthfully, I may never.

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, Gremlins is one of those films I watched to death in the 80s, and have no choice but to like now. I like most of his stuff, I guess, but I don't count them as favorites. HAH! Robert Picardo in that pic....he was on ST: Voyager wasn't he?

Re: Dick Miller...
"Y'know their still shippin them over here. They put em in cars, they put em in yer tv. They put em in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears. They even put em in watches, they have teeny gremlins for our watches! "