If You Could Have Prevented The Death Of Someone

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
who was an entertainer (movies, music, comedy, literature) - who would it be?

You can name as many as you want... I'll go with

John Lennon
Bill Hicks
Jim Morrison

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Chris Cornell.
His recent death was devastating to me. I supposed I'm a child of the 90s. I grew up in a poor county school before the internet. My only outlet was music, and at that time it was Nirvana, Pearljam, STP, Alice in Chains, and of course Soundgarden. Emotion, angst, addictive personalities, and depression were common themes in their lyrics and while it may have been a bit trendy, those thoughts were very familiar to me. In time, it seemed that death would claim one artist after another. For the longest time I looked up to Chris Cornell for his lyrics, for surviving his own demons, and for overcoming those darker depressions that appeared to be claiming so many talented individuals of his generation through addictions and suicide. I've always been weak to my own bouts with depression. It comes and goes, but when it does come, it is strong. I looked to Cornell as someone who carried his burden, finding ways to channel it through his music and writing, effectively diffusing its power over him. That was incredibly inspiring to me. I mean to say that he found a way through the darkness that so many others failed to do. He was able to succeed in spite of his demons. In part because of this, I have found a great outlet through my own writing and music as well, and I hope to keep my head above water when life overwhelms.

Then I learned he had passed through suicide, and all that inspiration was drawn to a halt. In the end, he did not succeed. He did not escape.

I remember reading many comments at the time expressing similar confusion and loss of hope in his death. I believe many people commonly lost in depression looked to him as a role model of how to stay above it all.

So, yeah. I would like to have stopped that. Barring that, I am hoping Eddie Vedder passes quietly in old age one morning, sitting on his porch with a ukulele in hand and a final thumbnail of a song next to him on his phone.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Theo Angelopoulos

The world needed the third part of the trilogy.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

River Phoenix came to mind. Only seen him in a few movies and he's not a favourite, but he was very good in Running on Empty think he had a promising career ahead of him and i wonder what would have came of him.

Franz Kafka, he died at 40, would have loved more stuff from him. Although preventing his death would be a dangerous game of risk. Maybe he creates more stuff or maybe he burns it all like he wanted done after his death.

If a sportsman counts as an entertainer then Len Bias and Duncan Edwards. Bias was drafted for the team i support Boston Celtics and he was supposed to be great. Only seen a few clips of him and they are from college/high school, he looked good but i can't really tell how that would transfer into the NBA. Maybe his reputation has escalated after his shocking death but it's just one of the great unanswered sports questions and if he was as good as some say the Celtics 90's could have been alot better. Edwards is similar, died at 21 since he's gained a reputation as one of the greatest ever players. Hard to tell how much of that is related to his death, again it's just something i think about.

Tom Petty is, of course, the name that leaps to mind.

I've been a fan since I was a child and I can't really recall a time when his music wasn't part of my life. I'm still kind of in denial about his passing.

Kuljeet Randhawa of the Indian TV serial 'Special Squad' committed suicide in 2006 . Was my favourite TV serial at that time . Liked her feisty acting as detective of police . The serial wound up soon after her death . Regretted her death greatly .

You can't win an argument just by being right!
whsat a cheerful thread for the weekend.

whsat a cheerful thread for the weekend.
LOL. Well I have to drag myself out now (in the pouring rain) for the Stations of the Cross for Lent. Great way to start the weekend.

Chris Reeve... (look left!)

I wouldn't have prevented his death, I would have liked to have prevented him from ever getting on the horse (because his life after that point was just so heartbreaking).
Who knows... he might have been playing Pa Kent these days.

Does the OP know that we are all going to die? John Hurt, for example, died when he was 77. It’s not like he died early.

I wish Elvis hadn’t died so young. A lovely man who, despite all the trappings of wealth & fame, was self-destructive.

Ronnie van Zandt
Stevie Gaines
Brian Jones
Keith Moon
Hendrix
Joplin
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Glenn Frey
John Bonham

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Katherine Walsh
Marilyn Monroe
Janis Joplin
George Harrison
Farrah Fawcett
Dorothy Stratten
Nicole Brown Simpson
Marilyn Chambers
Karen Carpenter
Bob Ross

Franz Kafka, he died at 40, would have loved more stuff from him. Although preventing his death would be a dangerous game of risk. Maybe he creates more stuff or maybe he burns it all like he wanted done after his death.
yeah that's tricky one. Maybe more of his left unpublished but a finished version of the trial sound tempting

Probably cobain. I really want to see he cure his depression by delve into japanese pop cukture, more

Lol