No Country For Old Men

Tools    

Ohhh yeah! ^^

The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Stuck in the middle with you.
For movie of the year the ending certainly sucked awfully in my opinion. the entire first half of the movie were great but the last 30-45 min. completely killed it IMO.

SPOILERS
I agree big time man. Why the hell would they just off him like that? It's like the directors just said "I'm bored with this sh*t, ok lets just kill the guy!".

The ending was definitely not the strong point of this movie but overall its an alright movie. I bought the dvd when it came out..which by the way...i saw this movie in theaters like 1.5 months ago and its already on dvd? wow.

Finally, did anyone notice that there isn't a single soundtrack in the movie...the entire movie had no background music or score whatsoever

The criminal with the weird hair was very strange.
That air tank weapon was interesting.

I was a bit annoyed:
WARNING: "no country for old men" spoilers below
moss' death

And the ending was.. well.. not spectacular.
The rest of the movie gets a solid
but the ending was lower down.. somewhere near the knees.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
UGH!! I can't stand it. All these posts about the ending being bad, and god forbid, that the Coens were bored?! OMG.

*calms down*

Think about the title of the film (same as the book it was based on.) The film opens with the Sheriff's narration -- the movie is framed from his point of view. He lives in a world he no longer understands. He sees an evil that he didn't see before. The world is changing before his eyes.

The Coens tell the story, then shift perspectives back to Tommy Lee Jones' character. I thought that was daring and makes the film unique. The film could have been an ordinary, linear story where we see the payoff death. Yawn. We've seen that before. Instead, the Coens shifted gears to offer us a reflection on the society -- what does it matter that he dies? We knew he would. Furthermore, his fate isn't exactly what we thought it would be. The film explores the twists of fate. If he hadn't died, evil would not have won, and we know the story explores this evil and it has to survive.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get why people don't like it. They like their traditional payoffs. But to say the Coens were bored? I believe that is far from the truth -- they dared to tell the story the way it was written. It becomes a reflection on evil and the desire to combat it. But can man really combat it? What is left to chance and what is left to fate? Bell believes he should be able to change things. But he can't. The last image is the lined, withered face of Tommy Lee Jones (perfect casting!) and how he doesn't understand the world around him anymore. There is no place for him anymore. He feels the rules have changed -- evil is random, heartless, greedy. To me, there would be nothing special about this film if it followed the traditional story telling. Instead, we're treated to an ending where Bell tells us he wakes up before he reaches his father; that explores the impotence and helplessness of an old man and of a society not able to combat this evil. In the end, is an old man's nightmare.

You have valid points but It's just that you'd at least expect moss to go down swinging.

Originally Posted by ReservoirPup
You have valid points but It's just that you'd at least expect moss to go down swinging.
He did. He killed some of them there Mexicans at the hotel. We just didn't see it on screen.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

There was also more exposition of the character of Moss told through scenes with the teenage hitch hiker represented in the film by the girl by the pool at the hotel, but you just don't see those on screen either

Yeah, 2 things, i think they should've shown the last stand on screen and they should of gone more in depth to moss' death, not just a close-up on his body.

Yeah, 2 things, i think they should've shown the last stand on screen and they should of gone more in depth to moss' death, not just a close-up on his body.
You see what Tramp is saying? the focus of the film isn't Moss or Chigurh, or the actions of either of them, it's the Sheriff and his search for the meaning of what's happening in his world. The violence is a representation of evil, so not showing the end of Moss (as in the book) is neither here not there. It shows that the Coens wanted to track exactly what happened in the book, and agreed with McCarthy that there was no need to have Moss die onscreen.
You don't see his demise, so it leaves you unsettled and unfulfilled? a bit like some of the characters feel huh?