Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I think that, overall, his 40s and 50s stuff is what I have at the top of my queue, with his early 30s stuff at the bottom. I think the latter is mostly agreed on as his "weakest" era.
Yes, especially the 1950s was Hitchcock's finest era, although in the '60s we got Psycho, The Birds, Topaz, and Frenzy.

IMO his weakest era was the '20s. Hitchcock described himself during that era as "a talented amateur". By the '30s he did The Man Who Knew Too Much, The 39 Steps, Sabotage, and The Lady Vanishes. He sure had a very high percentage of great films to mediocre films-- probably better than any other director with a large output.

Yes, especially the 1950s was Hitchcock's finest era, although in the '60s we got Psycho, The Birds, Topaz, and Frenzy.

IMO his weakest era was the '20s. Hitchcock described himself during that era as "a talented amateur". By the '30s he did The Man Who Knew Too Much, The 39 Steps, Sabotage, and The Lady Vanishes. He sure had a very high percentage of great films to mediocre films-- probably better than any other director with a large output.
Yeah, but it figures. Those were his first years so its expected that his skills and talents would still be unpolished. If you ask me the two weakest Hitchcock films I've seen, they would probably be from that period (Champagne and The Farmer's Wife), but I also have a lot of fondness for stuff like The Lodger and Easy Virtue, which is a personal favorite.

For what it's worth, here's something I wrote years ago about his silent films...

The Apprentice of Suspense: Alfred Hitchcock's early silent films

Jerry and Marge Go Large 2022

Starring wonderful actors, Bryan Cranston, Annette Benning and Rainn Wilson. It's a movie about a retired man who figures out how to win the lottery. He and his wife create a company that collects money from there neighbors and bets on said lottery. The greater the bet the greater the odds of winning and they are slowly helping out their neighbors and the town itself.

Some kid at Harvard figures it out as well and puts his fellow students to work. Of course every film needs a heavy so these kids try to put the kibosh on Jerry and Marge's play. I would like to see the article this is based on to see what the truth is there. Douchey kids are kind of a cheap out. But I'll let you know what I find out.
A Spotlight reporter uncovers the lottery winners and their method of winning; and puts an end to the whole thing.
Very entertaining and fun.
I give it three stars out of five.

The Guilty (1947)

This movie runs under 80 minutes but when you finish it you are going to want to watch it again. It's a low budget noir about a pair of war buddies who end up hooking up with a pair of twins. One twin dies and then insanity ensues. Densely plotted and incredibly well shot for his budget this almost feels like a prototwilight zone episode.

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

The Song of Bernadette, 1943

In this film based on the life of Bernadette Soubirous (played here by Jennifer Jones), a young woman in a small town in France begins to see visions of the Virgin Mary. Against the aggressive questioning of the local priest (Charles Bickford), a highly skeptical nun (Gladys Cooper), and a local magistrate (Vincent Price) who is sure that Bernadette is lying. But as miracles seem to happen surrounding the location where Bernadette sees her visions, the attention and notoriety put pressure on the town and Bernadette herself.

First and foremost, this is a really gorgeous film. It's the kind of movie that someone might pull out to assert that black-and-white can't be beat for a certain kind of movie magic. Where the film really hits the mark, as you might expect, is in the sequences of Bernadette experiencing her vision. I loved these scenes, and they display a visual creativity that keeps them from feeling redundant. In some of the sequences, we never see the vision, only Bernadette's reaction to them. In other scenes the woman in the vision appears only as a foot, or a glow.

Jennifer Jones inhabits the character of Bernadette in a splendid way. Her Bernadette is guileless and enraptured with her visions. She gives an initial impression of meekness, but she is steadfast in her beliefs and determination to tell her version of events.

As the film goes on, it becomes a story of powerful people--mostly grown men--who try to either bully Bernadette into recanting her story, trap her in games of semantics, or exploit her visions. In one scene, Bernadette is interrogated by a man who constantly strives to put words in her mouth. Bernadette respectfully but firmly corrects him, and Bickford's priest character--a man who also does not believe Bernadette--cannot hide his amusement when Bernadette runs polite circles around him.

To a certain extent, the character arcs that best define the film are not so much about Bernadette, but the way that the people around her react to things that they cannot understand. Anger, jealousy, and even vindictiveness meet Bernadette's claims. Each character has a different take on Bernadette---that she's lying for attention, that she's mentally ill---and we watch as they struggle to reconcile their own worldview with the undeniable something that is happening to Bernadette.

If I had one complaint about this film, it's the almost entirely unnuanced portrayal of the miraculous events surrounding the grotto where Bernadette sees her visions and the spring that bubbles up in that spot. There are a few gestures that people might be slipping into confirmation bias, such as when later in the film a child is "cured" by the water and a doctor notes that the disease was merely a fever two degrees above normal. But we are shown many extreme miracles, like blindness or paralysis being cured. From what the film shows us, you'd think that everyone who drank or touched the water was saved, and the film never forces us or Bernadette to reckon with people whose prayers and hopes aren't answered.

This was a really beautiful film anchored by an excellent performance from Jennifer Jones and equally strong supporting performances from the rest of the cast.

The House of Secrets, 1936

Barry (Leslie Fenton) meets a lovely woman, Julie (Muriel Evans) on a boat on his way to England. Arriving there, he discovers that he's inherited a property called "The Hawk's Nest". But when Barry goes to claim the property, he discovers that a group--including Julie--has taken over the house.

Stupid slightly-interesting movie poster.

Part of the problem with this viewing is that the print I watched (on Amazon) was absolutely wretched. It made telling the difference between characters really challenging, something that isn't helped by the fact that literally everyone except Julie is a man wearing a brown or gray suit.

As for the mystery aspect of the film, it's just very mediocre. The kind of film where someone finally drop the big explanation, and all I could say was, "oh."

Master of the World - 1961 adaptation of a Jules Verne novel. Vincent Price stars as engineering wizard and inventor Robur. He's designed and built a heavily armed airship dubbed the Albatross. He hopes to coerce the nations of earth into ridding themselves of their warmaking capabilities, thus bringing peace to the planet.

While making repairs to his craft inside a crater on the outskirts of the town of Morgantown, Pennsylvania he inadvertently frightens the citizens into thinking an eruption of biblical proportions is occurring. This prompts the government to send an agent named Strock (Charles Bronson) to investigate. He engages the services of munitions tycoon Prudent (Henry Hull) and his hot air balloon to reconnoiter the crater from the air. Along with them go Prudent's daughter Dorothy (Mary Webster) and her fiance Philip Evans (David Frankham). Robur promptly shoots down their balloon and takes the four survivors prisoner.

This is an American International picture so the budget isn't astronomical by any means. There's liberal use of stock footage but the action sequences are staged competently. Tune in for the outlandish Jules Verne steampunk aspects and for Vincent Price. He turns in his usual fine performance in service to yet another lackluster production. Bronson isn't given much to do but he's certainly game.

75/100

Captain Nemo and the Underwater City - Also watched this second Jules Verne adaptation from 1969 with Robert Ryan in the title role and costarring Chuck Connors as Senator Robert Fraser. This somewhat mirrors the plot of MotW but this time Nemo rescues four men, a woman and a child from a sinking ship and brings them to Templemir, his city beneath the sea.

I'll admit I didn't pay much attention to the plot. It was sort of forgettable and one of the few things that stuck with me were the blinged out diving suits that Nemo and his crew employed. But I was also semi-impressed by the fact that the story didn't take the easy way out by assigning a specific character or characters the role of villain. Outside of one panicky idiot who explains he suffers from claustrophobia there are no easy targets to root against. There are two rapacious brothers but they're there mostly for comic relief. Even the resentful and jealous romantic rival angle is downplayed with that character's motivations acknowledged as well meaning and rational.

Like I said, there's not much to recommend this. The special effects are passable so I guess there's that. And Robert Ryan is a consummate professional even when he's dressed like he should be on tour with Earth, Wind and Fire. Still though, I think his Nemo is surpassed by numerous other performances I've seen. I'd have to say I prefer James Mason in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea or Herbert Lom in Mysterious Island or Naseeruddin Shah in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen when it comes to memorable Captain Nemos.

65/100

I forgot the opening line.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8362642

Victor/Victoria - (1982)

This long-time-coming viewing didn't result in my falling in love with Victor/Victoria - it really wasn't my kind of thing. Movies like this, where dialogue between characters all feels very thought-out and dripping with wit, feel lacking in real emotion - and instead there's the glitz and glamour of show business. Unfortunately even the song and dance numbers didn't rouse my interest and enthusiasm. The only thing that did was a really brave and outgoing (for 1982) defense of gay rights, pride and equality. I've never seen this done so early, and so well - and I'm glad to be able to support the film in some kind of way. The last number was a hoot as well, and had me smiling and laughing. But overall, I did find this kind of boring - especially as it goes over 2 hours. A Julie Andrews fan I am not, and there weren't many other actors that had enough shine to them to help carry the load.

6/10

By IMP Awards / 2017 Movie Poster Gallery / The Shape of Water Poster (#3 of 5), Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=54631984

The Shape of Water - (2017)

Saw this for the first time when it came out, and this was the second chance I gave it. Visually, the film is quite remarkable - but where it loses me is when Sally Hawkins has sex with the fish creature. The person I was with when I watched it the first time actually liked that aspect of the film, but to me it felt a little too close to bestiality - I thought she could have loved it and saved it and everything just the way it goes without ripping her clothes off and humping the damned thing. I guess because it's humanoid it's meant to be acceptable? If it were me, and I did that with some creature in a lab, I'd be so ashamed of myself. There'd be no playful banter with my workmates over it's anatomy and how it's actually possible. I'd just be keeping it under wraps.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

By IMP Awards / 2017 Movie Poster Gallery / The Shape of Water Poster (#3 of 5), Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=54631984

Saw this for the first time when it came out, and this was the second chance I gave it. Visually, the film is quite remarkable - but where it loses me is when Sally Hawkins has sex with the fish creature. The person I was with when I watched it the first time actually liked that aspect of the film, but to me it felt a little too close to bestiality - I thought she could have loved it and saved it and everything just the way it goes without ripping her clothes off and humping the damned thing. I guess because it's humanoid it's meant to be acceptable? If it were me, and I did that with some creature in a lab, I'd be so ashamed of myself. There'd be no playful banter with my workmates over it's anatomy and how it's actually possible. I'd just be keeping it under wraps.

7/10
Pssst...

WARNING: spoilers below
She's not a human either.

7/10

What if it was a hot & sexy mermaid that could communicate, seemed interested in you, and seemed very unlikely to want to eat you?

/Still haven't seen The Shape of Water

Could the fishman provide active consent? That's the most important question.

Pssst...

She's not a human either.
I thought that the fish creature (who had just proven magical) turned her into a fish creature - but that before that she was 100% human.

I stand by my dislike of her decision. Of course...

...after she's been turned into a fish creature she can go to town for all I care.

I'll be thinking of this conversation next time I eat a tuna fish sandwich.

What if it was a hot & sexy mermaid that could communicate, seemed interested in you, and seemed very unlikely to want to eat you?

/Still haven't seen The Shape of Water
Every physiological consideration included in being a mermaid puts me way, waaaay off and I would politely decline the offer of intercourse, making up some kind of excuse on the fly. I really don't understand what is enticing about mermaids. Even if a mermaid has morphed into completely human form. Just the fact that this lady was once part fish. I don't need that in my life. Constantly on my mind. "Not human" and "lovemaking" don't go well together for me.

I'll be thinking of this conversation next time I eat a tuna fish sandwich.

For all we know, maybe that tuna fish was into that type of stuff.

Every physiological consideration included in being a mermaid puts me way, waaaay off and I would politely decline the offer of intercourse, making up some kind of excuse on the fly. I really don't understand what is enticing about mermaids. Even if a mermaid has morphed into completely human form. Just the fact that this lady was once part fish. I don't need that in my life. Constantly on my mind. "Not human" and "lovemaking" don't go well together for me.

crosses Phoenix off of the The Lure group watch party