Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Devil Wears Prada, 2006

Andy (Anne Hathaway) is an aspiring writer who takes a job at fashion magazine Runway under the ruthless watch of editor Miranda (Meryl Streep). As Andy gets more embroiled in the fashion life, she gets support from co-worker Nigel (Stanley Tucci) but her relationship with her boyfriend Nate (Adrian Grenier) is strained.

This film was a really pleasant surprise, and ended up telling a much more nuanced and complex story than I expected.

There are two really obvious tropes that the film could have leaned into. The first is the "makeover" arc where a woman learns (usually through stripping or dancing or whatever) that she's actually pretty and comes to own her femininity. The other arc is the "don't change who you are!" arc, where someone learns that it's what's inside that counts. Refreshingly, the film doesn't move only in one direction, allowing for some complicated and layered storytelling that wraps in multiple characters and character arcs.

There's something wonderful about a film that can convey "it's complicated!" without feeling muddled. But The Devil Wears Prada shows us multiple variations on complication, not letting us have any easy answers.

At the center of it all, of course, is Andy. Andy begins the film with a derisive attitude toward fashion. There's a famous sequence---that I had seen previously--where Miranda explains to Andy that her off-the-rack sweater is just a long-form derivation of the high fashion decisions from earlier fashion seasons. But I was a fan of a moment where Nigel quietly tells Andy that fashion is important as a form of art because "we live in it." Andy learns to dress and style herself sharply at first to fit in, but soon develops an affinity for it.

At the same time, however, the film explores the negative side of the fashion world and more generally office culture. From the start, Andy (who is a size 6) is referred to as being fat. With a sigh she is told that they don't have any clothing in her size in their extensive closets. When she loses weight and goes from a size 6 to a size 4, she is immediately congratulated. Andy's fellow assistant, Emily (Emily Blunt) is on a diet of . . . not eating anything except for a cube of cheese when she begins to feel faint. The neutral acceptance of this is damning in its silence. There's something really nefarious about the way that Andy is forced into wearing high heels, something that is physically unhealthy for many women.

Beyond the gender-specific pressures on Andy, the film explores the challenges and benefits of working in a high-pressure, ruthless environment. On one hand, Miranda's uncompromising, vicious rebukes and threats drive Andy to accomplish things that are borderline impossible, such as in a standout sequence where Miranda demands that Andy acquire the latest Harry Potter book---by which she means the unpublished manuscript of the latest book. But while this type of work environment can push some people to do things they would not have achieved on their own, it also fosters a culture of fear and negativity. This is an office where the success of your co-workers is a threat, not something to be celebrated. This is seen most in the ongoing rivalry between Andy and Emily, but it impacts almost every character we meet at some point in the story. And most of that impact is negative.

The film also explores the classic "work or romance" quandary, via both Andy's relationship with Nate and Miranda's own relationship with her husband and children. This is one place where I had a bit of a split with what the story presents. Through the film, Andy's work repeatedly gets in the way of her time with friends and family. She gets an "emergency" call from Miranda while hosting her dad who has flown in from out of town. She ends up having to work on her boyfriend's birthday. Whenever there is an important conversation to be had, her phone rings. In one bust-up, Nate tells her that "the person whose calls you answer? That's who you're in a relationship with." Which, okay, fine. But also, from the outset Andy's work at Runway was always meant to be something that would last a year. I understand that Andy's work is putting a big strain on her relationship with Nate, but women are frequently expected to rearrange their lives around their husband's work, and often for more than just a year. The fact that Nate expects Andy to move to a different city with him without even asking if that's what she wants made me think a lot less of him and of their relationship dynamics overall. Andy actually articulates at one point that if Miranda was male, people would focus almost exclusively on how brilliant she is, and I think that this spills over into how Andy is treated by Nate.

The performances are really top notch here, and Blunt and Tucci in their supporting roles really give a lot of humor and dimension to the story. Streep is amazing, and Hathaway is perfect in the lead, balancing the story's demands that she be both hapless and very smart/capable at the same time.

This deserves, in my opinion, far more than the 6.9 average it has on IMDb. I am highly skeptical of the number of 1/10 votes for it.

I agree about the try-hard vibe, especially in acts two and three. That's sort of what I meant by "screenwriting 101" because a lot of the writing in them comes across as contrived and amateurish. The performances and comedy made up for it for me though, especially Michael Smiley's line about Michael Heseltine. I'd probably give it a 6/6.5 overall, which isn't much higher than your rating.
Around the time that he
WARNING: spoilers below
was in the hotel and the movie took this long lingering shot to be like "Look! A penis!" I was just done with it.

All of the benefit of the doubt I was giving it just evaporated and it all just kept feeling more and more juvenile.

Glad to know another McHattie fan. I haven't seen him in much (this movie, Pontypool and guest spots on TV shows like Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and The Strain), but he's always great.
He's one of those actors who brings an immediate sense of depth to his characters. He was actually what made me check out the movie and part of my annoyance was feeling like he was wasted. Same with Wood, who can be so good in those socially-anxious roles (like his part in I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore.)

Autumn Sonata -

My third Bergman, after Persona & The Seventh Seal, and still quite good, despite being quite heavy and hard to watch.

The Godfather: Part II -
, maybe
?

Arguably a better movie than the 1st Godfather movie, just way more dense. I'll definitely need to re-watch this to get a better opinion on it.

World on a Wire -
, maybe
?

My first Fassbinder, and this was absolutely right up my alley. It runs for a total of three and a half hours over two parts, but I enjoyed it so much it didn't feel so long to me.

I also re-watched...

Polyester -

Out of only two John Waters films I have seen, this is the one I could have an easier time recommending. (The other film I've seen is Female Trouble, uh, so...)

Oldboy (2003) -
, maybe
?

Not an easy watch, but definitely a good movie, still.

Glad to know another McHattie fan. I haven't seen him in much (this movie, Pontypool and guest spots on TV shows like Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and The Strain), but he's always great.
Loved Pontypool and since I've liked McHattie's work throughout the years I was happy to see him in that starring role. I thought he did a fine job in Watchmen. I agree about I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore but other than that, A History of Violence and Immortals, the role I most associate him with is Jake Pasquinel in the late 70's miniseries Centennial.

Loved Pontypool and since I've liked McHattie's work throughout the years I was happy to see him in that starring role. I thought he did a fine job in Watchmen. I agree about I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore but other than that, A History of Violence and Immortals, the role I most associate him with is Jake Pasquinel in the late 70's miniseries Centennial.
Ooh, good call about A History of Violence. It's a small part, but he's terrifying in it. I've been meaning to see Immortals, which I hear is better than the reviews say.
I'll look for Centennial, which I haven't heard of.

Ooh, good call about A History of Violence. It's a small part, but he's terrifying in it. I've been meaning to see Immortals, which I hear is better than the reviews say.
I'll look for Centennial, which I haven't heard of.
The director of Immortals Tarsem Singh knows how to put a gorgeous product on display, although admittedly it's not always in service to a strong story. But it's still well worth watching for a young Henry Cavill. I found it visually impressive. And Centennial is very much a product of it's time. Back when miniseries held sway and there was seemingly one on television every week. A lot of them starring the reigning king (or queen) of the miniseries, Richard Chamberlain.

The Contractor (2022)

Starts out OK then we have one big scene (lab) and it gets colouring by numbers after that. Chris Pine is paired up with Ben Fister, as in Hell or High Water (this being a far inferior film) as ex-special forces now working for a private contracting film run by the shady Kiefer Sutherland. Incredibly, unbelievable and pretty dull at the same time.

Cross of Iron (1978)

+

A very good but not quite great WW II film from director Sam Peckinpah. The way it started I thought it was going to be more of a cool type of movie, but it ended up pretty harrowing. A lot of violence with James Coburn and Maximilian Schell being the standouts in the cast.

5th Shorts Hall of Fame

Seven (2018) -

Even though this short left me asking for more, I enjoyed what it had to offer. My favorite aspect is how it explores two points of view. The first point of view is on the villagers who want to kill the oil worker. This is to set an example for the oil industry about interfering with their land. The second viewpoint comes from the perspective of Yohana, who's somewhat reluctant to follow through with the plan. Though you understand why the villagers are upset, it's also apparent that the oil worker they captured isn't solely responsible for the impact the oil industry has on their village, nor will killing the man put a stop to the oil industry. The short also comes with some lovely cinematography, with the standout being the bird's eye shot of the funeral pyre. Lastly, the ending makes for a nice slice of suspense. As stated above though, I was ultimately left asking for more. For instance, I would've liked to know more about why the villagers and the oil workers were hostile towards each other. If the reason is because of pollutants released from the oil rigs, I would've liked to see how this was affecting the villagers as the pristine landscape shots we saw in the film didn't convey any such thing. It also would've been nice to see conversations with some other villagers and the oil worker himself to provide more viewpoints to Yohana's moral dilemma. As it stood, it's a fine short, but I imagine I'll forget about it pretty soon.

Strike Me Pink, 1936

Eddie Pink (Eddie Cantor) is a nebbish clothing repair shop worker who gets a jolt of confidence from a self-help book. Unfortunately, this newfound confidence results in Eddie being hired to manage an amusement park called Dreamland where his crush, Joyce (Ethel Merman) performs. The amusement park has long been besieged by a gang that wants to install rigged slot machines, and the past managers have all had unfortunate endings.

I picked Norman Taurog as the director to watch 10 films from as part of the 2022 Film Challenge. Did I pick him because some of his titles are hilarious (like The Bride Goes Wild or Who Needs Husbands?? Maybe. But the last few films I've tried to watch from him have been, well, borderline unwatchable. At this point I've bailed on two of them.

Enter Strike Me Pink and the run of bad films is finally at an end!

I'm not saying that this film is totally brilliant, but it was much funnier than I expected with a range of gags and some really neat stunt setpieces.

If you've seen In & Out, there's a scene where Kline's character takes lessons from a book on tape that seems to talk to Kline as if he's in the room with him. Was this a common gag and I've just never seen it anywhere else? It's done here in Strike Me Pink and to pretty funny effect.

I also really liked a sequence where a nervous Eddie is attempting to stand proud against the wicked crew of gangsters who have cornered him in his office. His secretary, Claribel (Sally Eilers) constantly interrupts their conversation to hand Eddie notes that read things like "Keep it up! PS Watch the skinny guy he has a gun!" or "You're doing great! PS I just slipped a gun into your pocket!". Both the physical staging of her interruptions and the quickly typed notes make for a fun running gag.

The film's climax, which involves a chase along a roller coaster track is totally bonkers, and in a good way. It ventures well into cartoon territory, with events like a person opening an umbrella and flying away. In a wonderfully choreographed sequence, a man is passed continuously between two trapeze artists, losing an article of clothing with each hand-off.

There are several music sequences, none of which are amazing but none of which are terrible. One of them makes really cool use of a reflective floor that made me sit up and pay attention.

The performances are all very fun. There's an enjoyable character called Butch (Gordon Jones), a loveable lug who looks out for Eddie. There's a good bit where Eddie attempts to feed Butch the answers to his history exam via an elaborate headset and microphone system. I found myself really charmed by a lot of the jokes and comedy sequences.

I'm surprised at how high my rating is for this film, but I had a great time watching it.

I forgot the opening line.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5866395

The Phantom of Liberty - (1974)

Watching Luis Buñuel movies yesterday made me realise how many talented actors from overseas get vacuumed up for one film by Eon's James Bond productions. In this we have Thunderball's Adolfo Celi and Moonraker's Michael Lonsdale - and in That Obscure Object of Desire we have Carole Bouquet from For Your Eyes Only. I started with an aside didn't I? Never mind. The Phantom of Liberty is extremely enjoyable, and although it doesn't give you a narrative to follow, the surreal aspects that I came for are in full force. Different segments are joined by a character that carries over. For example, at the start we see a strange scene from the Napoleonic Wars, but it turns out to be something a nanny is reading. The nanny works for a man who visits a doctor about a dream he's had, where a postman delivers a letter he still has - that letter gets mixed up with the doctor's nurse, who is heading for a retreat and a hotel etc. Many societal conventions are turned around - in this film people join together with friends and family to go to the toilet, but eating is a private experience people think disgusting, and is done in a room, alone, with a locked door. While the most fragmented of the Buñuel films I've seen, I do appreciate one where he seems to work exclusively on the strange and bizarre.

9/10

By It is believed that the cover art can or could be obtained from the publisher or studio., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=17945231

Simon - (1980)

Simon isn't quite as funny as it thinks it is, but Alan Arkin works really hard to try and remedy the situation. Along with that, I was really excited to see William Finley in something - he's an actor who really didn't get enough work for my liking, and his appearance is rare. Along with that you have the great Wallace Shawn and Max Wright. I don't know if it was quite worth watching for all of those points alone, but all the same, I don't regret watching it for those reasons. If all of that makes sense. It's about a man who's fooled into thinking he's an alien for the amusement of some intellectuals.

6/10

By siamusic.net and @musicthefilm, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=66614978

Music - (2021)

I wanted to see this because it's a rare one pilloried by near unanimous consent :

Was it really that bad? If you like Sia's music videos, there's a lot of Maddie Ziegler dancing in that fun kind of style. I quite enjoyed that. As for the rest, I just don't want to add weight to what's probably been a traumatizing experience for the artist, who obviously needed someone to tell her that what she was doing - making this movie - was a bad idea. Bizarrely, this was nominated for both a Golden Globe for Best Musical and a Razzie for Worst Picture. It lost to Absolute Proof.

2/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=17817538

That Obscure Object of Desire - (1977)

Wow. I was not expecting something with a conventional narrative in a Luis Buñuel film. Along with defying all expectations, I thought the film brilliant, even though I was troubled by a scene which depicts domestic violence (kind of.) Mathieu (Fernando Rey) monied and pampered falls in love with his new maid Conchita (the film's main story is relayed to us as he tells the tale to fellow train passengers) and this begins an epic quest to bed her, which he tries to facilitate through gifts, money, charm and force. Conchita is played by two actresses, Carole Bouquet and Ángela Molina, and she continually dangles hope, which creates in Mathieu a never-ending desire for her which would have left him if he'd have succeeded earlier. Instead the two play this game, one which both benefits and complicates her life - but only leads to Mathieu's suffering. Sprinkled throughout the film are terrorists who kill people - and it's done in such a way that you know the two themes are linked. Somehow. Or perhaps Buñuel has done this to just get me to keep thinking about the film, on and on. An obscure object of desire?

10/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

That Obscure Object of Desire - (1977)

Wow. I was not expecting something with a conventional narrative in a Luis Buñuel film. Along with defying all expectations, I thought the film brilliant, even though I was troubled by a scene which depicts domestic violence (kind of.) Mathieu (Fernando Rey) monied and pampered falls in love with his new maid Conchita (the film's main story is relayed to us as he tells the tale to fellow train passengers) and this begins an epic quest to bed her, which he tries to facilitate through gifts, money, charm and force. Conchita is played by two actresses, Carole Bouquet and Ángela Molina, and she continually dangles hope, which creates in Mathieu a never-ending desire for her which would have left him if he'd have succeeded earlier. Instead the two play this game, one which both benefits and complicates her life - but only leads to Mathieu's suffering. Sprinkled throughout the film are terrorists who kill people - and it's done in such a way that you know the two themes are linked. Somehow. Or perhaps Buñuel has done this to just get me to keep thinking about the film, on and on. An obscure object of desire?

10/10
It's a very good film which ranks amongst my favorite Bunuels, even though I'm not sure how to interpret the terrorist subplot.

Crimes of the Future (2022)

Crimes of the Future moves us into a world where pain and infection are gone. Because of this people commit surgery on themselves in public as a replacement for sex. It's a weird dystopian future where the B plot and C plots are actually the important ones and the A plot (Viggo Mortensen's character who can grow things in him) is much less important.

This is a film that has three different genres fighting for supremacy. As a science fiction film I'd give it an A. This future world is completely realized it doesn't hit you with the big stuff but rather it nails all the little things. When it's world building it's unbelievable is what a world with generations of polution has done to society. As a horror film the set pieces work but the narrative fails...it's trying to be Eraserhead put Cronenberg doesn't have Lynch's horror touches. This isn't his best body horror work and a lot of stuff feels unresolved. As a drama it's likely it's weakest point. The characters always seem to behave like they are in the first act of the story and when they need to go somewhere the film just ends. I guess it's saying a lot about life but this almost felt like half of a TV season/series. It's almost 4 stars but I'll give it 3.

Victim of The Night

The Devil Wears Prada, 2006

Andy (Anne Hathaway) is an aspiring writer who takes a job at fashion magazine Runway under the ruthless watch of editor Miranda (Meryl Streep). As Andy gets more embroiled in the fashion life, she gets support from co-worker Nigel (Stanley Tucci) but her relationship with her boyfriend Nate (Adrian Grenier) is strained.

This film was a really pleasant surprise, and ended up telling a much more nuanced and complex story than I expected.

There are two really obvious tropes that the film could have leaned into. The first is the "makeover" arc where a woman learns (usually through stripping or dancing or whatever) that she's actually pretty and comes to own her femininity. The other arc is the "don't change who you are!" arc, where someone learns that it's what's inside that counts. Refreshingly, the film doesn't move only in one direction, allowing for some complicated and layered storytelling that wraps in multiple characters and character arcs.

There's something wonderful about a film that can convey "it's complicated!" without feeling muddled. But The Devil Wears Prada shows us multiple variations on complication, not letting us have any easy answers.

At the center of it all, of course, is Andy. Andy begins the film with a derisive attitude toward fashion. There's a famous sequence---that I had seen previously--where Miranda explains to Andy that her off-the-rack sweater is just a long-form derivation of the high fashion decisions from earlier fashion seasons. But I was a fan of a moment where Nigel quietly tells Andy that fashion is important as a form of art because "we live in it." Andy learns to dress and style herself sharply at first to fit in, but soon develops an affinity for it.

At the same time, however, the film explores the negative side of the fashion world and more generally office culture. From the start, Andy (who is a size 6) is referred to as being fat. With a sigh she is told that they don't have any clothing in her size in their extensive closets. When she loses weight and goes from a size 6 to a size 4, she is immediately congratulated. Andy's fellow assistant, Emily (Emily Blunt) is on a diet of . . . not eating anything except for a cube of cheese when she begins to feel faint. The neutral acceptance of this is damning in its silence. There's something really nefarious about the way that Andy is forced into wearing high heels, something that is physically unhealthy for many women.

Beyond the gender-specific pressures on Andy, the film explores the challenges and benefits of working in a high-pressure, ruthless environment. On one hand, Miranda's uncompromising, vicious rebukes and threats drive Andy to accomplish things that are borderline impossible, such as in a standout sequence where Miranda demands that Andy acquire the latest Harry Potter book---by which she means the unpublished manuscript of the latest book. But while this type of work environment can push some people to do things they would not have achieved on their own, it also fosters a culture of fear and negativity. This is an office where the success of your co-workers is a threat, not something to be celebrated. This is seen most in the ongoing rivalry between Andy and Emily, but it impacts almost every character we meet at some point in the story. And most of that impact is negative.

The film also explores the classic "work or romance" quandary, via both Andy's relationship with Nate and Miranda's own relationship with her husband and children. This is one place where I had a bit of a split with what the story presents. Through the film, Andy's work repeatedly gets in the way of her time with friends and family. She gets an "emergency" call from Miranda while hosting her dad who has flown in from out of town. She ends up having to work on her boyfriend's birthday. Whenever there is an important conversation to be had, her phone rings. In one bust-up, Nate tells her that "the person whose calls you answer? That's who you're in a relationship with." Which, okay, fine. But also, from the outset Andy's work at Runway was always meant to be something that would last a year. I understand that Andy's work is putting a big strain on her relationship with Nate, but women are frequently expected to rearrange their lives around their husband's work, and often for more than just a year. The fact that Nate expects Andy to move to a different city with him without even asking if that's what she wants made me think a lot less of him and of their relationship dynamics overall. Andy actually articulates at one point that if Miranda was male, people would focus almost exclusively on how brilliant she is, and I think that this spills over into how Andy is treated by Nate.

The performances are really top notch here, and Blunt and Tucci in their supporting roles really give a lot of humor and dimension to the story. Streep is amazing, and Hathaway is perfect in the lead, balancing the story's demands that she be both hapless and very smart/capable at the same time.

This deserves, in my opinion, far more than the 6.9 average it has on IMDb. I am highly skeptical of the number of 1/10 votes for it.

I think this movie is really carried by the performances of its four biggest, Streep, Hathaway, Blunt, and Tucci, but the relationship angle really carried the film down for me. Almost like a hastily jotted studio note that it needed to be there. I found it really distracting, the guy just sucked in such a generically selfish way that it took me out of the movie every time the film went to that sideplot. But Streep is masterful as usual and the other three really elevate what felt to me like a generic NYT Bestseller that maybe had a little more depth than one might expect. I get what you mean by "It's complicated" but it felt like "It's Complicated For Dummies" to me. I like it more than this may sound but really just for the moments between the four main characters and not so much for the overall story and certainly not for the lame relationship plot. She shoulda left that guy in the beginning anyway, he sucks.
Expectations may have something to do with it, when I see Streep in something, plus Tucci, I expect a movie that's more than just slightly smarter NYT Bestseller.

Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine, 1965

Dr. Goldfoot (Vincent Price) has a dastardly plan: using bikini-clad robots home-brewed in the basement of his funeral parlor, he will entrap and steal the assets from the wealthy men of the city. But while targeting the wealthy Todd Armstrong (Dwayne Hickman), one of the robots, Diane (Susan Hart) mistakenly flirts with Craig Gamble (Frankie Avalon). Realizing something is not right, Craig becomes determined to get to the bottom of the conspiracy.

It took two writers to write this movie. The Supremes sang the theme song.

I just wanted to put those two facts out there.

This is a very silly movie and it knows that it's very silly. It is, as they say, exactly what's on the tin. A mad doctor. Bikinis.

The worst crime that a silly movie can commit is being boring, and for the most part Dr Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine avoids this particular trap, in large part due to the energy of all of the lead performers, and some absurd set-pieces. There are a few conversations that drag a bit, a few times where the film tries to stretch out a gag several seconds too long. But overall it moves along at a fairly fun clip.

Price--who apparently didn't think too much of the film--is really the saving grace. Even when he's slumming he's fun to watch. And in this case the movie makes the most of him, even going as far as to restage the climax of The Pit and the Pendulum. There's also the intriguing lack of a love interest, with the Todd/Craig bromance taking the place of what would normally be a love subplot.

One slightly odd/sour note in the film is the treatment of the robots, and specifically Diane. When Diane fails to procure Todd's power of attorney she is punished with electrocution and later hard labor. Where this could have been played as really goofy, it's instead kind of . . . upsetting? Removing the cheesy gold bikini aspect, when she's being punished she wears a formless brown robe thing. It feels kind of, for lack of a better word, mean. The movie never seems to decide how we should feel about the robots---they aren't portrayed with empathy as thinking/feeling beings, and yet they can be tortured and punished. It's just a bit strange and I wish the film had committed one way or the other.

but the relationship angle really carried the film down for me. . . She shoulda left that guy in the beginning anyway, he sucks.
Yeah, I think that the story needed that plot point of something that is shorthand for the way that her personal life is being majorly disrupted by her work.

I agree that she should have dumped him. His moody exasperation made him hard to take.

Honestly, though, all of her romantic prospects were bad. At one point she's choosing between the boyfriend or the man who uses professional leverage to make moves on Andy, which is more gross.

I think that the trap of any movie with a woman making relationship decisions is the idea that she needs either of them. Especially considering that a big theme of the film is loyalty and he's constantly celebrating the idea of her quitting (or losing!) her job.

I wish at the end she'd been like "Good luck in Boston!" and just struck out on her own in New York.