One Movie A Day Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I saw The Cube and I liked it well enough to give it a modest rating (
), but now I'm feeling like I missed something. A cube only has SIX sides. Does that mean that two characters walked through the same wall (door) or did something else happen I can't remember?

The Cube just bought it for $5.00 I saw it when it came out found it an interesting concept you can see where the guys who wrote Saw got their ideas from

Welcome to the human race...
I still have to see Cube. Your recommendation is pushing it up my to-do list.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i would probably give Cube a 3 out of 5. i'd still recommend it to anyone. it's just a fun movie with campy dialouge and the weirdest ending imaginable.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
WARNING: "Cube alternate Ending" spoilers below
Well, basically, it shows the guy walking outside the cube and instead of a white bright light it shows him outside. In a forest or something.

That's just from what I've heard though.

I can see a why a lot of people give the film a 3. I just really love the concept and how everything was so well done when they had so little.

Suspect's Reviews

WARNING: "Cube alternate Ending" spoilers below
Well, basically, it shows the guy walking outside the cube and instead of a white bright light it shows him outside. In a forest or something.

That's just from what I've heard though.

I can see a why a lot of people give the film a 3. I just really love the concept and how everything was so well done when they had so little.
Interesting...

I like Cube too but the sequel is kinda stupid . I felt I was just wasting my time and should have just watched the original again .

DAY 48: October 18th, 2008.

SCREAM

Here is a film that redefined the horror genre. It has been credited with the 'decline' of horror films, even though this film is particularly good. The evil spawn it created although, isn't. I still to this day, like I Know What You Did Last Summer, call it a guilty pleasure, but ever since I saw it as a kid, I dug it. Scream, on the other hand, is a film that I have seen way too many times. It's not a film that is good enough to warrant so many viewings, thus my explanation as to why I've seen this film more then a dozen times is unknown to me.

The opening scene here is infamous and do this day, I would say, still stands as a genuine horror iconic moment. It introduced us to one of, if not the, most successful horror movie Halloween costume. The Ghost Face Killer. It's so simple. It's not scary, yet terrifying at the same time. It's not until the sequels where the 'terrifying' aspect quickly becomes uncontrollable laughter.

People I think may still fail to see the comedic aspect to this film. Every time I talk about Scream to people, I throw in a comment about how funny it is, then I get weird looks. "No it's not, it's not a comedy, it's a scary movie".

I enjoyed the who's the killer aspect, it kept me interested, unlike the sequels here I called the killer within minutes of seeing their character. Scream plays up the horror homages pretty well and it knows not to take itself seriously. One just has to look to the ending to know this.

DAY 49: October 19th, 2008.

JOY RIDE

I don't care what anyone says, this is an underrated gem. This great film is about two brothers, Fuller (Zahn) and Lewis (Walker) who pretend to be a young female on the CB radio who's handle is "Candy Cane". They get this trucker and play with them. They later check into the motel and the trucker comes back on the CB. They tell the trucker to meet 'her' in room 17, of course they have no intention of being there. They are in room 18. The next day they find out the guy staying in room 17 had his JAW ripped off and later dies. The crazy trucker then stalks them. That is the film in a nutshell, but the reason why I like it so much is because it sets itself apart from most "Teen/Horror/Thriller" films, because it has a competent director behind the lens. Yes, a Paul Walker film is good and guess what, HELL has not frozen over.

This is an on the edge of your seat thrill ride that has some brains. Walker, plays his usual self (does this guy ever have any range?) Zahn plays his usual comedy buddy guy (does this guy have any range?) Leelee Sobieski plays the usual girl in distress role here (does she have any range?) Yet for me, I never got bored with them. Even though their characters and their acting are so routine, I surprisingly enjoyed them. Call it the writing, call it chemistry, call it whatever you want, they worked well together in this film. Zahn needs to stick to what he knows (comedic relief in supporting buddy role) NOT, COMEDY LEAD (National Security, Strange Wilderness)

Dahl did a great job with this film. I enjoyed his other film Rounder as well, which leaves me to wonder why this guy isn't directing more films. J.J. Abrams is one of the writers, maybe that is a reason why this film feels different. It doesn't have that cookie cutter routine genre feel to it. J.J. Abrams is the type of guy who would bring something fresh a new to the table full of tired and old.

Great use of colours in this film, the ominous red from the trunk and the eerie green at the motel.

Of course, it's all about Ted Levine as the voice of Rusty Nails, the trucker. Just the right amount of eeriness that is disturbing. He sent chills down my spine. He was a great choice for this part. The choice to never see his face was great, but eventually lead to the DVD released sequel (yawn).

Joy Ride gets a thumbs up from me.

(Use to be one my top 100, but has sadly, been bumped off)

I could tell you right now if I watched it or not....but then where would the fun be in that?
At this rate, I'll be 80 . . . or dead . . . before I know!

I could stop repping you, until you tell me if you watched it or not.

p.s. Those last two movies are fun to watch. I own them both.

DAY 50: October 20th, 2008.

End Of Days

Satan visits New York in search of some sex, oops, I mean a bride to be. The only logical person who can stop him is Arnold.

Action Horror doesn't really work and this is where End of Days sits. I thought it was an interesting idea, having Arnold battle Satan, but the end formula just didn't deliver. I enjoyed it for what it was, but wanted more out of it.

There is a sub-plot involving Arnold being a drunk because of the death of his family. It required some dramatic acting, that of which was failed to be delivered by Arnold, but by the end of the film, he's back to shooting possessed people and everything is right in the world.

Byrne played a decent Satan, not too over the top like Pacino in The Devil's Advocate. He had just the right amount of evil in his stares and the right amount of class in his swagger. Pollak is the 'sidekick' and is underused, while Tunney is somewhat of an annoyance in her role.

I liked End of Days just enough to give it a positive rating, it needed a lot of work and seemed to be thrown together for the millennium tag and for the sake to have Arnie fight the big bad evil. I dug the ending though, made it seem more real the way they ended it, cause let's face it. As bad ass as Arnold is, he ain't walking away from this fight. Oops, did I just spoil a mediocre movie from 1999 to someone? Sorry.

DAY 51: October 21st, 2008.

Night of the Living Dead

The dead rise from the grave an attack the living...for their brains. The only way to kill them? Shoot the head.

Here it is the one that started it all, not the very first zombie flick, but without a doubt the most influential. I can see that, I can respect that and I can tell where the genius is in this film. My problem? Well, let's have a show of hands of how many people have watched a remake of a film before the original? I did this with Psycho and I did this with this film. Was it a mistake? Possibly, I do enjoy the remake a tad more (waits to be shot) but I respect this one more.

NOTLD is a film that a 'required' viewing for a horror fan. It has not only influenced other zombie films, but the horror genre in general. It might take more then one viewing to appreciate this one, I for one was not a fan of the ending the first time around. Now, I seem to like it more and more. Bleak, dark and depressing, with a hint of hope and joy.

Really well filmed, for the budget and 'experience' of the people, NOTLD is a marvel to watch, too bad it's not a marvel to listen to. Horrible sound recording and mixing, at least in the version I watched. (Waits to be shot again) yup, I watched the so called 're-vamp' with added footage that makes no sense what so ever. I did not care for that footage and that just added to the disliking of it at first.

It's safe to say that the sequel is superior, in both quality and quantity. DIE HARDS, with still stick with NIGHT and the weird ones will actually say DAY, but if you wanna see where it all began. Look right here baby.