Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Frances Ha directed by Noah Baumbach -
I noticeably smiled through the entire movie, and I don't know if that's the cause of its quirky humor or its extreme believability. The characters are all so charming and realistic, and the story is a perfect slice of life premise that excels with its actors and script. Everything comes full circle and I'm left feeling all bubbly inside, mainly due to its unique visual style and music choice, creating this weird little world for you to be a part of for a few fleeting hours. I don't have a lot to say about it other than I'm endlessly captured by everything it has to offer, it can be crass, and harsh, but that's life, and the film does an excellent job at capturing every aspect of what makes us human. I'm not a huge fan of most indie movies, they more often than not have a pretentious attitude about them, but Frances Ha embraces that, and even pokes fun at it. I'm thoroughly pleased and can sleep tonight with a smile on my face.

I would probably give the film a
+.

It's so retro and I loved every part of it, I'm a low key huge horror fan so it was really refreshing for the genre. I am one of the only people who enjoyed the ending, even though it was a tad rushed.
I thought Ti West did a little bit better with The Innkeepers, I haven't seen either in so long though I should probably revisit both.

Master of My Domain
Escape From New York (Carpenter, 1981)

For me, Carpenter is a unique and great director I highly appreciate because he's the only director I know who makes movies so it purely entertain the viewers. Sure, superhero movies have a lot of battle scenes and somewhat dynamic shots of people an objects flying around, but there's always that third-rate philosophical theme that tries to constantly make you think you're watching a 'deep' and 'well-made' flick. Escape From New York's philosophy lies in the action itself.

The Terminator
Kung fu panda 3 quite impressing movie. 8/10

Unregistered User

Straight Time (1978)

Great cast in Hoffman, Busey, Walsh, Stanton and Theresa Russell. Has a real gritty feel to it that could only come from the streets of 1970's America. Hoffman is superb as an ex-con just released from prison and with good intentions, only to be paired up with an outrageously slimy and unscrupulous parole officer , played brilliantly by Emmet Walsh.

I have to return some videotapes...
I thought Ti West did a little bit better with The Innkeepers, I haven't seen either in so long though I should probably revisit both.

I've been meaning to check this out. Probably will soon.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
+ Very entertaining and very enjoyable to see where the characters went after the first movie.
Though not to detract anything from this movie I do believe I like the first somewhat better. How they all got lumped into a whole new life in a new land and the discoveries along the way touched me on a more deeper level.
Together these movies ARE splendid. Thanks for those who let me know there was a second movie after I had posted about seeing the first one

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

An interesting one. Not Linklaters best. But the way he captures reality with the help of his metioculously crafted scripts is something to behold. 6.5/10
Very interesting. I think it's Linklater's most underrated movie. I love how it's in real-time, and the triangle, characters' motivations, etc., were very interesting.

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Magnificent Seven
+

It's fairly entertaining and enjoyable, but lacks the substance or thematic depth of the film that inspired it. Couldn't help but wonder how much better the film would be if it was in the hands of Ford,Mann, or Hawks. Not a knock against John Sturges, who is a darn good filmmaker, but the film just feels too pedestrian.

Stromboli
-

Fairly underwhelming, Stromboli is just Rossellini on auto-pilot. Ingrid Bergman tho.

Street of Shame

Powerful. Sad. Honest.

A great finale to the career of one of the greatest filmmakers in the history of cinema.

Le Plaisir

I could write an essay on just the tracking shots alone.

Care for some gopher?
The cinematography is amazing but i thought the movie was rather boring.

*Rewatches

Kick Ass (2010)

Still one of my favorite "superhero" films, if not my favorite. I think many agree that Big Daddy/Damon Macready is Nicolas Cage's best role in years, such a great origin story for a "superhero" and I keep putting that in quotations because he is more vigilante than actual hero, but damn I consider him one because he is just so badass. Aaron-Taylor Johnson is good as the main character Kick Ass, tbh I haven't really dug him in any other movie outside this one, not even in Age of Ultron as Quicksilver. Chloe Grace Moretz, just damn. She is awesome in this movie, and fun fact she has the same birthday as me! And yes she is gorgeous (I can say this now she is 18 years old) Also the humor and comedy in this movie was used rather well and in a clever way. The main villain of the movie mobster Frank D'amico played brilliantly by Mark Strong was great as well.

Kick Ass 2 (2013)

"We're the Good Guys, and i'm the only good part of this sequel."

*Sigh*. I'm about to go into a big rant about this movie. There was a big hole in this movie, and you guessed it, it was a Big Daddy sized hole. Jim Carrey's colonel stars and stripes (One of my favorite Jim Carrey roles in recent memory) almost fills that hole up completely, but they made a huge mistake,
WARNING: "Kick Ass 2 major spoilers" spoilers below
which was promoting the **** out of Colonel Stars And Stripes then killing him off like 30 minutes into the film. Or it may have been a little after that, but that is just it, we never got the amount of Stars and Stripes we should or could of.

The movie's 2 1/2 stars are almost all to do with the story actually not being that terrible. The Colonel and Hit Girl are another reason it got as high of a rating as it did from me. The way they mess up almost everything they set up in the first film just rubbed me the wrong way. They destroy his relationship with Katie not even 30 mintues into the film, probably so that him and Hit Girl could have this weird awkward kiss at the end of the film. The character of Dave/Kick Ass just never felt that likable in this one like in the first one. I never found myself truly rooting for him like some of the other characters.

I did like the superhero group being formed and I really liked some of the characters in that group. Like the parents who lost their son, and joined to try and find him but never could. Dr. Gravity I also really liked, played by Donald Faison. Night Bitch, that was just too much imo. That is not a superhero name. I mean Kick Ass, The Mother****er and Battle Guy (Or whatever Marty's stupid ass hero name is in the movie) isn't any better but still.

Also another big thing I didn't like about this movie was Chris D'amcio. The way he was used in the first movie was good. In this movie he is more annoying and just a waste of screen time imo. The Mother****er, is easily one of the stupidest super villain names since Jubilee (Guessing that was the point? If it was suppose to be comical it wasn't). The character was also lame as villains go (That was probably intentional as well, but he wasn't funny so it doesn't work). Yes he had money and a good motive for why he was doing what he was doing. And sometimes that works, but he is just an annoying little brat so he doesn't seem freighting and the comedy they tried to give him just fell flat for me. You go from a freighting mobster in the first film played by Mark Strong (a fantastic actor), who also had very good comical moments but they weren't over the top where you couldn't take him seriously, but then you go to his young ********, bratty son who is not scary or comical in the slightest. One of his henchmen Mother Russia was a scarier villain then him and she was just on his pay roll. It is sad that the actor playing the one character in this movie that I enjoyed (Jim Carrey) refused to promote this movie because of the amount of gun violence.

The Martian -
+

Man this was a lot of fun, i thought it would have gotten a bit boring due to its length but the time flew in. Great tale of survival against the most impossible circumstances imaginable. I liked Matt Damon a lot here not that it was a performance that blew me away or something, i just found his character very likeable, i loved how he was constantly cracking jokes even to himself in his log just to keep his sanity. Some powerful scenes here, his letter to his parents, when he breaks down at the start of the rescue attempt and
WARNING: "end spoiler" spoilers below
the announcement that he is ok
got to me in particular. It was also surprisingly hilarious at times. "All good points but consider this; i get to fly around like Iron Man. Commander lets go Iron Man!"

The Martian -
+

Man this was a lot of fun, i thought it would have gotten a bit boring due to its length but the time flew in. Great tale of survival against the most impossible circumstances imaginable. I liked Matt Damon a lot here not that it was a performance that blew me away or something, i just found his character very likeable, i loved how he was constantly cracking jokes even to himself in his log just to keep his sanity. Some powerful scenes here, his letter to his parents, when he breaks down at the start of the rescue attempt and
WARNING: "end spoiler" spoilers below
the announcement that he is ok
got to me in particular. It was also surprisingly hilarious at times. "All good points but consider this; i get to fly around like Iron Man. Commander lets go Iron Man!"
Glad you enjoy it Camo! The Martian is awesome