Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Chinatown - 8/10

A movie you should watch twice, but after that, it's pointless. I have it on VHS, would sell it if I could get more than 25 cents

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Felon

(Ric Roman Waugh)

Val Kilmer's direct to video flicks haven't been the greatest. I might be the biggest Kilmer fan here and even I have trouble sitting through some of that garbage. So I was a little resistant to watch Felon, but the positive reviews, subject matter and that is also stars underrated actor, Stephen Dorff, I decided to give it a shot.

Family man Wade Porter has the perfect life; a beautiful home, loving wife and a son. All that is shattered in seconds when he accidentally kills an intruder who tried to burglarize his home. He is sentenced to 3 years in prison and now must cope with his new life and change his ways in order to survive his harsh new reality.

Kilmer is in a supporting role here, letting Dorff show his chops. I knew Dorff had it in him to be good, he just needed the right script. Many people are too quick to write him off but he has enough talent to hold a film. In Felon, he delivers one of his best performances, delivering a gritty survival take on a man forced to become what he doesn't want to. It reflects the realistic and sometimes terrifying view on prison and the people who inhabit it.

Ric Roman Waugh did a lot of research for this film and it shows. Most of the film comes off as authentic and not once did I ever question the acts of the people and their choices. In prison, there are no rules. The three act structure the film gives you is satisfying, even if the final act makes you bend the realms of realism a little bit. Waugh can be proud of this film and his follow-up Snitch, does a decent job of avoiding the sophomore slump.

Kilmer leans on intimidating here, someone I wouldn't want to encounter while in prison. He beefed up for the role and shows that the guy still has it, he just needs to make better script choices. Marisol Nichols plays Dorff's wife, she has to cope with him being gone and how to tell their son. In the end, Felon is a film that deserves your attention. It's not well known, which makes this seem like a hidden gem.

Suspect's Reviews

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Amazing Spiderman (2012)

Not so amazing. Perhaps did this a disservice watching it so soon after Homecoming, which was superior. There are good bits in this (Emma Stone and Martin Sheen are very good), but it's not only an unnecessary retread of the Spider-man origin story, it lacks a certain logic and purpose in the storytelling.

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV (2016)

Sometimes the animation in this is really spectacular, sometimes it suffers from being a little uncanny. I like the Final Fantasy aesthetic (all the crazy hair and unsuitable fighting outfits), and the general mishmash of futuristic cities, magic, princesses and tentacle monsters. The trouble with this film is that it is too limited by being a prequel to the game. I can excuse a little incoherence in a final fantasy game due to its epic scope, but while there are hints of an epic worldwide war, monsters and quests, those are not the destiny of the characters featured here so we are left with action confined to one city without a firm grasp on everyone's loyalties and motivations so that the various twists and betrayals lack impact. Plus a lot of people look kind of similar.

Locke (2013)

What if I told you that Tom Hardy is the best actor alive right now

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

The Palm Beach Story (1942)

The Amazing Spiderman (2012)

Not so amazing. Perhaps did this a disservice watching it so soon after Homecoming, which was superior. There are good bits in this (Emma Stone and Martin Sheen are very good), but it's not only an unnecessary retread of the Spider-man origin story, it lacks a certain logic and purpose in the storytelling.

I disagree! Much better than Raimi's Spide-Man. Haven't seen the new one

Welcome to the human race...
Serenity -

Pretty evenly split between thinking it holds up and thinking that it's a mid-2000s relic. Dock at least half a box if I lean towards the latter.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)

Locke (2013)

He has great charisma, that raw energy and natural toughness but I reckon Mathew McConaughey tops him at the moment but Hardy is prob getting the better roles now.

Locke (2013)

One of the worst films I've ever seen. His accent in this movie is so outstandingly bad it turned the film into a comedy. He sounds Russian. He's supposed to be Welsh.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974, Sam Peckinpah)

I loved the visual style of the film and its gritty, raw atmosphere, driven largely by Warren Oates' incredibly badass and yet subtle performance. Even the soft, lyrical moments exude bleakness and doom, eradicating any hope of a happy ending. A flawed but passionate, deranged masterpiece.

Alien: Covenant

This is the direction we're going? Ugh. What a way to s#!+ on Prometheus. The typical Ridley Scott set-pron isn't even that great, because it's cgi instead of models. Suicide Squad was more enjoyable.

Hmm, I didn't even like Prometheus all that much - and judging by your review, this is even worse. Yikes.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974, Sam Peckinpah)

I loved the visual style of the film and its gritty, raw atmosphere, driven largely by Warren Oates' incredibly badass and yet subtle performance. Even the soft, lyrical moments exude bleakness and doom, eradicating any hope of a happy ending. A flawed but passionate, deranged masterpiece.
Every time I see this movie somewhere, I beat myself up for not watching it. You definitely got me into seeing it asap now though.

..and as for my rating:

Amanda Knox (A Netflix Original)

I did not finish watching Amanda Knox, a documentary on the events surrounding the murder of Meredith Kercher, in spite of its decent production values. I guess there is something to be said about a movie which has no/little likable characters, regardless of the genre. While it might have been a movie that simply didn't appeal to me, I have this feeling that some of my problems with it stem more from its curated qualities.