The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Mad Max Fury Road! I wasn't a huge fan of the Mel Gibson films from back in the day but Fury Road changed that. Can't believe an hour long car chase could keep me engaged and those special effects, gorgeous! Liked it a lot more than Jurassic World which hurts for me to say but hey what are you gonna do JW was never gonna be JP1.

My List: 12/63

2. Independence Day (40)
3. Looper (100)
4. Starship Troopers (54)
6. The Prestige (72)
8. Signs (76)
13. Avatar (80)
14. 28 Days Later (85)
18. The Martian (60)
20. District 9 (65)
21. Edge of Tomorrow (66)
22. Mad Max: Fury Road (37)
24. Source Code (92)
25. Cloverfield (Unranked)

I saw Jurassic Park in 1993. It didn't leave a lasting impression at all. I saw it, I came home, I skipped every sequel it had, I'm kinda sick of it but I'll let its fans have their fun.

But Independence Day.... I thought that was the greatest movie of all time when I came home from that film. Last time I watched it, which was last year, I was still blown away.
This might be the age gap between us.

I was 11 when JP came out... you were about 11 when ID4 came out.

For me, Jurassic Park was my 11 year old world.
I was born 2 years after JP came out. That film and the Lost World (yes I like JP2 as well sue me) fueled my love for dinosaurs at an early age. 6 year old me liked JP3 as well when it came out but as I got older that love quickly waned.

I had Forbidden Planet on my list. It's the best pure science fiction movie I've seen from the '50s.

My List:

6. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (#46)
9. World on a Wire (#73)
11. Forbidden Planet (#38)
22. Logan’s Run (#71)
25. Ghost in the Shell (#64)

Nice couple of films there. Mad Max: Fury Road I loved but didn't include in this list like another, ahem, certain film that strangely reminds me of...never mind!

Yes! Forbidden Planet is my #4 on the list. I wish it had been higher, but I'm glad it made it. At the rate my picks are falling, I'm really curious what films are going to fill the Top 25.

List so far:
#3 The Day the Earth Stood Still .39
#4 Forbidden Planet .38
#8 Invasion of the Body Snatchers .46
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Mad Max: Fury Road did not make my list on the account that it is too 'new'. I knew it would make the list though, so I figured it did not need my help.

And I'm in love with the film.

I've probably seen it a dozen times and recently purchased the Black & Chrome edition. I can't decide which version I love more.

Such a great flick from beginning to end.

Suspect's Reviews

That's a good marketing ploy... release a movie in B&W, as well as normal... makes people buy it twice and never think about the fact they can simply press a few buttons on the TV remote... for free...

Oh man, you guys.

I have an idea now.
I'm gonna take a DVD, turn the colour down on the telly, and flick the DVD to French.

It'll be like watching an art-house movie.

OH MY GOD IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!!!

Currently watching 2009's Star Trek... flicked the colour off, put it in French, English subtitles...

IT WORKS!!!
I now have a new thang.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
That's a good marketing ploy... release a movie in B&W, as well as normal... makes people buy it twice and never think about the fact they can simply press a few buttons on the TV remote... for free...
It's not the same man. Miller specifically went back into the studio to personally change the colour of the film. Having the director in the room and specifically changing certain aspects vs a generic 'wash' of the colour is superior. If you can't tell the difference, sure, but I sure can.

It'll be like watching an art-house movie.
Close but I think the actual term for what you are doing is "Phart-house"

Seriously, this is hilarious.

It's like watching some European sci-fi that had a budget thrown at it.
I've not laughed out loud like this for a long time.

Phart-House... I like that...

Gotta make a thread on this at some point.

I must be one of the few people who hasn't watched Independent Day yet.

I had fun watching Mad Max: Fury Road but didn't have a great impression after watching. Maybe because of Tom Hardy: I'm not warm to any of his roles in any movies, can never understand the star status of him. Or maybe because I don't like Thunderdome either. Haven't seen others in the series.

Forbidden Planet was my #17. It's a great old-fashioned sci-fi adventure with a strong and truthful message that gets transferred in a very effective manner. I wrote a review of it about two years ago. I'm on my phone right now so I can't quote it, but you can find it in the reviews section. I highly recommend watching this film!
Here below is that review I was talking about. I still think it's one of my better ones from that time:

Forbidden Planet (1956)

This is a really engaging and brilliantly smart classic sci-fi film that inventively exposes what could possibly be human's greatest ultimate intrinsic tragedy.

WARNING: "Forbidden Planet" spoilers below
Our animalistic, irrational subconscious side, "Id".

The film's Freudian theme is very cleverly metaphorized through thoughtful, seemingly unimportant details (the cook's lust for drinking, the men's lust for the daughter, etc.) and more obvious representations (the tiger jumping at the commander and the daughter, the robot being the most likable and flawless character in the whole movie, the invisible monster, etc.) during the whole film. It's really amazing how well thought out this film is. Every single aspect of it can be given meaning in the context of the film's main theme.

Even though the story very much (almost exclusively) focuses on the specific observation that's being made about human nature, the film still feels very rich, because of the high ambition that was obviously at the basis of the film's sci-fi context.
- First of all, the technical aspect of the film perfectly works, the locations look really good (especially by the standards of that time) and it's just a joy to watch it.
- Secondly, the ideas in this story are BIG and the film cleverly takes its time to explicate the film's story and environment. We really get to know and explore this film's sci-fi universe. I love that!

The film kind of made me think of Stalker in a certain (far-fetched) way. Stylistically, the films couldn't be further apart, but both movies touch on very similar topical issues, in my opinion. So, don't expect this picture to be a high level philosophical film or anything like that. It just tells an exciting sci-fi adventure that happens to have very interesting substantial aspects to it when studied more intensively. It's said to be loosely inspired by Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'.

Back to the small comparison I wanted to make between both films.
In Forbidden Planet, we witness why extremely developed technology in the hands of mankind can be dangerous (it's told in a very symbolic manner, but the argument the film's making is very clear) and in Stalker, we basically get a meditation on why the existence of the "supernatural" (a sort of "wishing room" in this case) could be more dangerous than positive, when it can be manipulated by men.
In other words, two of mankind's biggest wishes are fulfilled, but ultimately seem to have unforeseen negative side effects, because there seems to be something wrong with us.

Both films basically talk about the tragic unreliability of humanity. We can't trust other people and we can't even trust ourselves, because we never fully have control over either of the two. There's a potential monster in all of us, even if there aren't any bad intentions... The point is not to be scared, but to be aware of the 'Id'-aspect of your nature. Don't deny its existence and don't be blind for its possible consequences.

"It will remind us that we are, after all, not God."

+

OH MY GOD IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!!!

Currently watching 2009's Star Trek... flicked the colour off, put it in French, English subtitles...

IT WORKS!!!
I now have a new thang.
GOD, even I think you're white trash for doing this.

Do it with Young Guns. I'm sure you'll become fluent with the new language by a week.