What are you listening to while you're MoFoin' it?

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Hybrid - Wider Angle

love peace and chicken grease
im listining to the new fall out boy cd
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon.

FSOL - Dead Cities

Pure, nightmare genius. It's funny, when I picked this up in, oh, '97 I think, I absolutely hated it. I think I grabbed it after I heard the track We are Explosive while playing Wipeout XL on the Playstation. I remember scanning through the cd, giving each track a few seconds, and tossing it aside in utter disgust that 1) two jack ass producers would have the gaul to create such horrible sonic displeasure for poor Mikey, and 2) I frippin paid for it.

In the Boston rave scene, while I was still in it, I was that weird guy that didn't like FSOL. Everyone held this allbum and it's precursor, Lifeforms, in the highest regard, and treated them with almost sacred reverence. I would rip them apart whenever anyone was foolish enough to mention FSOL. They would give me the evil eye and tell me I was a noob, and that I needed to listen to them again. Thanks to my iPod, I did. Last night I went to bed, shut out the lights and spun the iPod wheel to a random album, which happened to be Lifeforms. it didn't blow me away, but it did turn my head enough to inspire me to re-examine the FSOL works I had aquired over time.

Since I am now an insomniac, I decided to pop Dead Cities in at about 1:30 am.... Sure, it's almost TOO aggressive in places, and yes, it takes a LOT of getting used to, but it's really quite the masterwork of dystopic tech-ambient. Actually, the one-two punch of Lifeforms + Dead Cites, apparently FSOL's commentaries on Life and Death, is quite an experience. Quite unlike anything I had heard before... A twisted, psychedelic, haunting, beautiful, hideous, mesmerizing sonic adventure...

Best when ingested directly after:

Hybrid - Wider Angle (live)

EDIT: Listening to this again... so why make a new post?