Lets discuss Magnolia

→ in
Tools    

Do you know my poetry?
I saw Puch-Drunk Love a couple of months ago and I loved the way Paul Thomas Anderson directs his movies, Punch-Drunk Love wasn't a chessy love story movie like every other movie on earth, this was so much different and so much better.Then I heard of Magnolia, also written and directed by P.T.A.I saw this movie, like 10 storylines going on at the same time, I got one thing to say : This movie is a masterpiece! Again I see that directing style that P.T.A uses and I totally loved this movie.I loved every storyline, my only problem with the film, they never said anything else about that storyline in the beggining of the movie.What are your thoughts on this movie?

didnt see punch drunk love, didnt really care for magnolia though. found it at times interesting and even touching but lots of little things that just annoyed me about this messy and obnoxious [i was banging my fist into my head when everyone started to sing along with the popsong on the radio] movie. i could see what people liked about it, but for me much of it was grating.

Lets discuss Magnolia
Oh, let's not.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It was beauty killed the beast.
Possibly the best film of the '90s.

there's a frog in my snake oil
me liked

(but is that opening bit true about the suiciding guy shot [by his parents was it??] before being caught by the safety net?? - the rain of frogs can happen etc, so i'm imagining it was true :shrugging-smilie: )

I know what you mean about the cheese-factor linespalsy, but i still kind of thought that the song fitted with some of the themes they seemed to be putting forward (and with the occasional pretentious feel, but there you go. You can't explore big broad "life" themes without being a bit pretentious)

Overall, me liked a lot.

EDIT: And now i'm just pondering.... I'm remembering the obvious intent to take on quite a few life-themes (from death, regret, denial, lives lived in a mould, in fear, in hate, etc ..to lives destroyed by fame/greed, and people's need for life gurus these days etc etc)....and again their solutions/suggestions are broad/understated/multiple etc.

I can understand those who didn't like the faux-ness of things like the stereo-type-breaking pretty-young-wife-loves-old-bastard-husband scenario etc etc...

But i think, despite things like this (i.e. apparent "wouldn't-it-be-nice" wishful thinking), maybe they were trying to preach a "don't run away" line. i.e. a recognise/accept who you are etc and you can give and receive comfort from others too, if you (and they) go through these regular confrontations with the unpalatable.

I think that's their "wise up" thing they're suggesting. Whether it be accepting the highly improbable, or accepting the the very probable fact that you have a problem that needs fixing.

Is it, overall, a film about acceptance?

Dunno

A novel adaptation.
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Oh, let's not.
No kidding.

I've owned Magnolia on DVD for ages but never watched it until a few days ago.

The film definately stays with you after you watch it. I couldn't stop thinking about it. The only thing that confused me was when it rained frogs. Can that really happen? How?

After the three "matter of chance" stories at the begining, I thought the film was just going to be about chance. But it really went deep into these people's lives. Overall, great film.

Originally Posted by Parky

The film definately stays with you after you watch it. I couldn't stop thinking about it. The only thing that confused me was when it rained frogs. Can that really happen? How?
my freind and i were discussing it the other day and i was tryin to tell him how this movie was garbage, whilst he was disagreeing with me anyways what the deal with the frogs was that somewhere a plane dumped a shipment of frogs and it appeared to be raining frogs or something. anyways ill watch it again soon but i still think ill hold the same oppinion of it as before.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I think Magnolia is a beautiful film. The characters are archetypes for a reason: this is a film about abstracts and about life, and character development is not the point. I think the point of it is to see the beauty in all the details of life - the good and the bad - to accept that "these things happen" and live with that understanding. The photography is beautiful. The metaphorical aspect of it is apropriate for the themes. The music is awesome (love that Aimee Mann). And the nod to Salinger in the middle of all of it charmed my socks off.

Originally Posted by Parky
Just found this. It really can happen.
What do you know. Thanks for the article, Parky.

That movie was bangin'. Off da' chain like a motorcycle gang.

But, what was with the blue and red lighting that seemed to get more fierce throughout the movie? Was it a metaphor/symbolic for something?

Anyways, the part I liked most was when they all started to dance in the subway and then got into the knife fight wearing the leather pants and jackets while snapping their fingers and holding arms. Awesome song too.

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle
Anyways, the part I liked most was when they all started to dance in the subway and then got into the knife fight wearing the leather pants and jackets while snapping their fingers and holding arms. Awesome song too.
We're talking about Magnolia, not Michael Jackson's Beat It video.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I saw this for the first time the other night after manfully avoiding it for years.

Couldn't stand it.

Short Cuts without a script, and some of the most horrendous overwrought performances from respected actors (and Tom Cruise) that I've seen.

I'm talkin' to you Bill Macy, Julianne Moore (especially you), John Reilly, Philip S Hoffman....

For me this was a pity. Magnolia is very well shot and the style of story can work, as Altman and Carver proved. Shame nobody told the cast to stop emoting for 5 minutes and act a little.

Lets put a smile on that block
Oh Tacytuss! I thought better of you!

I absoloutly adore Magnolia, it just makes my heart ache! But i am a mug for sentimentality. it's easily in my top ten favourite movies ever ever to infinity, no full stops. I agree with what you say you LIKED about the film, but your biggest dislike for the film is what i think makes it have such an impact. Each character and their story we see in the film are searching for some kind of redemption. In cases like Frank (Cruise), he is not aware of this search, but for other characters like Julian Moore's, it is her main focus. They are all so so unhappy, and have these awful incidents and worries in their lives that are just eatin away at them, and as the film progresses and we slowly see how all their fears and doubts and sadness are linked, and just after they are all at their lowest, and they sing 'Its not going to stop.' (Which is my favourite part), their redemption is delivered in the form of a spectacular shower of raining frogs, that changes everything for them. Its wonderful.

If i have ever seen a chance for Cruise to get his best actor oscar, it was with the role of Frank. shame he didnt though. Superb stuff.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one blib.

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
If i have ever seen a chance for Cruise to get his best actor oscar, it was with the role of Frank. shame he didnt though. Superb stuff.
I think Cruise was the best thing in Magnolia. It suited his 'stare-at-the-ground-furrow-your-brow-and-shout' style of acting perfectly.

Ignore me, I'm an auld cynic.

If you want a film about sadness, try this one: Link

It takes a lot for me to squeeze a tear out and Dolls comes pretty close.

Lets put a smile on that block
i'll check that out ma man. I am a sucker for sentimental crap...i mean i even own Bicentennial Man on dvd...i know i know

But come on, you must have at least liked the music? Aimee Mann is supoib!

I honestly couldn't tell you whether the music was good or bad, and the last experience I had of Aimee mann was when someone threw one of her CDs at my head.

Sorry.