The best car scenes ever... add yours.

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
1. The mini chase in the original Italian Job.

2. The chase sequence in The Matrix Reloaded.

3. The whole of Christine.

tokyo drifts???

tokyo drift too.,

Save the drama for your Mama
I also love the silly excessiveness of The Blues Brothers ~ "This is Car 55 - We're in a Truck!",
but for it's sheer intensity I have to agree with those who mentioned The French Connection. There was nothing that topped it for a long time.

the collection are great

There's a car scene in The Naked Gun that always cracks me up. I can never seem to get the Youtube tags to work, so....

The Fast and The Furious the first one really rocks when it comes to car scenes...

Movie Forums Critic
Italian Job

Fast and the Furious

Gone in 60 secs.

Terminator:Judgment Day

The Blue Brothers

The Bourne Supremacy

also i remember in bad boys 2, nasty car wreck in the bridge

How about you guys.... any favorite scenes?
The best car movie/car scene of all time is Robert Mitchum tearing up Thunder Road. And for those who have looked at the other discussion in this forum about seeing films with no preconceptions or expectations, this is also a good example of how reading up on a movie can enhance the fun. Long before the movie came to my small West Texas hometown, there was an article in Hot Rod magazine about how they beefed up a '57 Ford for a scene where Mitchum at the wheel of a bootleg runner crashes through two police cars trying to block his route. The special effects crew put in all the usual safegards for such a scene, but then the stunt driver on his own walked the roadway placing markers along both shoulders of the road so that he would have some information on how to steer his car if his forward vision was blocked. Sure enough, when the souped-up Ford hit the two stripped down vehicles with its beefed up bumper, it knocked them aside and punched on down the road just as planned. But the impact also sprung the Ford's locked-down hood, folding it up in the middle to block the driver's view of the road before him. Fortunately, he was able to guide the vehicle to a safe stop along the winding road by using the markers he had put in place.

When you see the movie, there's just a brief moment when the camera inside the stunt car shows it punching past the police cars, and you can see the hood fold back to block the driver's view, and you can also see one or more of the markers that he put by the side of the road.

Another good car scene -- the chicken run in "Rebel Without A Cause."

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
1. Ronin
2. The French Connection
3. Bullit
4. Grindhouse (Death Proof)
5. The Matrix Reloaded.

Suspect's Reviews

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
The best car movie/car scene of all time is Robert Mitchum tearing up Thunder Road. And for those who have looked at the other discussion in this forum about seeing films with no preconceptions or expectations, this is also a good example of how reading up on a movie can enhance the fun. Long before the movie came to my small West Texas hometown, there was an article in Hot Rod magazine about how they beefed up a '57 Ford for a scene where Mitchum at the wheel of a bootleg runner crashes through two police cars trying to block his route. The special effects crew put in all the usual safegards for such a scene, but then the stunt driver on his own walked the roadway placing markers along both shoulders of the road so that he would have some information on how to steer his car if his forward vision was blocked. Sure enough, when the souped-up Ford hit the two stripped down vehicles with its beefed up bumper, it knocked them aside and punched on down the road just as planned. But the impact also sprung the Ford's locked-down hood, folding it up in the middle to block the driver's view of the road before him. Fortunately, he was able to guide the vehicle to a safe stop along the winding road by using the markers he had put in place.

When you see the movie, there's just a brief moment when the camera inside the stunt car shows it punching past the police cars, and you can see the hood fold back to block the driver's view, and you can also see one or more of the markers that he put by the side of the road.

Another good car scene -- the chicken run in "Rebel Without A Cause."

i love these especailly since my dad used to sing that song to me as a lullabye when i was little..maybe thats what is wrong with me? as for rebel, my older sister drilled that into my head when she was a teenager and in love with james dean!!! i cannot believe i forgot these two!!

My favourite will probably always be Ferris Bueller's Herculean effort to get home before his parents.

Death Proof's final chase was pretty emotion-inducing alright, I watched it yesterday!

#1, obviously goes to Steve McQueen in his 67 Mustang battling the 68 Charger R/T
IMHO, McQueen's best car chase scene didn't involve a car--it was his Great Escape attempt on a motorcycle. Bike racing was McQueen's first love long before he could afford sportier cars and formula racers. He was so good on the bike in those shots that he also put on a German uniform and "chased" himself in some scenes.

Another of my McQueen favorities was the drag race in reverse in his first film, The Blob.

#6 And who can forget ANY of the Smokey and the Bandit chase scenes and the 1977 Firebird Trans Am...
Don't recall which Smokey film it was in (they all started to blur together after awhile) but the one standout car stunt I recall was one where the Trans Am had to dash past a falling factory chimney several stories tall. Again, what interested me most was reading about what went into filming that one-take-only, near-miss scene: If the car hit the mark too soon, it would flash by out of danger well before the falling brick chimney hit the ground; if it were too slow, the stunt driver would end up flatter and messier than a cow patty. Hitting it just right with only one chance to shoot the scene was a thing of beauty.

Some of the James bond films have been fantastic for car racing. That said fast and furious although poor film- had some great scenes.

www.movieideas.co.uk

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Don't recall which Smokey film it was in (they all started to blur together after awhile) but the one standout car stunt I recall was one where the Trans Am had to dash past a falling factory chimney several stories tall. Again, what interested me most was reading about what went into filming that one-take-only, near-miss scene: If the car hit the mark too soon, it would flash by out of danger well before the falling brick chimney hit the ground; if it were too slow, the stunt driver would end up flatter and messier than a cow patty. Hitting it just right with only one chance to shoot the scene was a thing of beauty.
I think that was actually in Reynolds' stuntman flick, Hooper.

I think that was actually in Reynolds' stuntman flick, Hooper.
Probably was! Like I said, they all blur together after a point but that one impressed me after reading what they went through to get it.