A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Watched Next of Kin, which was good and all (great third act, first two are a bit too slow of a burn though), but I regret to report that I spent an undue amount of time looking at the characters' pants after somebody (Tak?) complained that the pants were too tight in some Australian movie they watched.

I must report that the pants here appeared to fit correctly.
For some reason, I was like “the Swayze film?” which I have not seen.

Then realized you were talking about the old folk’s home horror film, which I have seen and watched researching my own old folks home horror script. I was even quite positive about it though my thoughts mirrored yours (sans pants commentary)

But my mind first went to Swayze.

For some reason, I was like “the Swayze film?” which I have not seen.

Then realized you were talking about the old folk’s home horror film, which I have seen and watched researching my own old folks home horror script. I was even quite positive about it though my thoughts mirrored yours (sans pants commentary)

But my mind first went to Swayze.
Now did Swayze's pants fit correctly? Can't say, haven't seen the movie.

Yeah, there's plenty to like about the movie, I just found the shift into the third act a little too abrupt. I think to pull off a slow burn a movie needs to slow turn up the temperate. This one seemed to just simmer for a while and then exploded at the end.

Now did Swayze's pants fit correctly? Can't say, haven't seen the movie.

Yeah, there's plenty to like about the movie, I just found the shift into the third act a little too abrupt. I think to pull off a slow burn a movie needs to slow turn up the temperate. This one seemed to just simmer for a while and then exploded at the end.
No pants fit Swayze. He merely tolerated them to keep us from being blinded by majesty.

I’m inclined to agree but I also wondered if I’d approached the film prepared for a slower burn that ratchets up, would I have liked it even more? (Note: this film is practically nothing like my old folks home horror script)

I think to pull off a slow burn a movie needs to slow turn up the temperate. This one seemed to just simmer for a while and then exploded at the end.
That's what happens when you heat water in a microwave, so . . . .

Guys, Criterion Channel has a Home Invasion collection. Thanks, Criterion, for curating a collection my anxiety cannot resist.

Anyway, one of them slightly blew my mind and I will write it up tomorrow. And I'm not even kidding when I say that tightly fitting pants were twice (TWICE!) plot relevant.

Guys, Criterion Channel has a Home Invasion collection. Thanks, Criterion, for curating a collection my anxiety cannot resist.

Anyway, one of them slightly blew my mind and I will write it up tomorrow. And I'm not even kidding when I say that tightly fitting pants were twice (TWICE!) plot relevant.
You must be talking about the Umberto Lenzi classic, The Killer Wore Tight Pants.

I watched The Forever Purge. These movies love to touch on political issues but not take a stance on them one way or the other. But this one lays it on THICK. It’s also the least horror and most action-y of all of them, and also the least gory.

I really liked Saint Maud, which I watched on Hulu.

Maud is a nurse who turns to religion after an incident with a patient. She makes her next assignment a path to redemption and spiritual fulfillment, which is caring for Amanda, a famous dancer whose difficulty and loose morals test Maud to her core. If anything, this movie is a masterpiece of gradual escalation, whether via the increasingly painful methods Maud punishes herself to how her loss of connection to reality manifests. It would all be for naught, though, if the performer were not convincing, but Morfydd Clark definitely is. The ways she expresses Maud's devotion, introversion and quiet intensity eventually made me worry about the actress as much as the character! Speaking of which, my favorite quality of the movie is how personal it comes across. Whether this is a place writer/director Rose Glass has been or not, I always felt that the movie seemed like one she had to make, if you will. I also really like the look and feel of the movie, especially for touches like flipping the camera upside down or at odd angles to reflect how Maud sees the world or portraying its Scarborough location as the kind of sleazy hellhole Maud believes will test her resolve. It all amounts to a story that proves how difficult it is to fight a battle like Maud's alone. The longer it lasts, the more each molehill seems like a mountain, the larger the demons grow and the more the path that makes the battle more winnable, simply talking to someone else about it, becomes obscured.

Speaking of Hulu, it's worth subscribing to this month. They have a good collection of recent horror releases like this movie, Amulet and Possessor as well as classics like My Bloody Valentine and The Tenant.

If I were to guess without seeing it, The Plumber.

As far as their themed collections go, I feel like I did see some that caused me to scratch my head at it being there. I mean, Night of the Dead, I guess could be loosely described as having a home invasion element. I guess.

Speaking of Hulu, it's worth subscribing to this month. They have a good collection of recent horror releases like this movie, Amulet and Possessor as well as classics like My Bloody Valentine and The Tenant.

Censor is slated to come to Hulu at the middle of the month.

And if you really crave more Nic Cage, Willie's Wonderland is there (it's a movie that does one thing well, and everything thing else isn't so great. That one thing might barely be enough).

The trick is not minding
I really liked Saint Maud, which I watched on Hulu.

Maud is a nurse who turns to religion after an incident with a patient. She makes her next assignment a path to redemption and spiritual fulfillment, which is caring for Amanda, a famous dancer whose difficulty and loose morals test Maud to her core. If anything, this movie is a masterpiece of gradual escalation, whether via the increasingly painful methods Maud punishes herself to how her loss of connection to reality manifests. It would all be for naught, though, if the performer were not convincing, but Morfydd Clark definitely is. The ways she expresses Maud's devotion, introversion and quiet intensity eventually made me worry about the actress as much as the character! Speaking of which, my favorite quality of the movie is how personal it comes across. Whether this is a place writer/director Rose Glass has been or not, I always felt that the movie seemed like one she had to make, if you will. I also really like the look and feel of the movie, especially for touches like flipping the camera upside down or at odd angles to reflect how Maud sees the world or portraying its Scarborough location as the kind of sleazy hellhole Maud believes will test her resolve. It all amounts to a story that proves how difficult it is to fight a battle like Maud's alone. The longer it lasts, the more each molehill seems like a mountain, the larger the demons grow and the more the path that makes the battle more winnable, simply talking to someone else about it, becomes obscured.

I enjoyed Saint Maud as well. Very decent film. Didn’t care for Possessor, although I’m willing to give it a second chance some time down the line. I can finally watch The Tenant!

I enjoyed Saint Maud as well. Very decent film. Didn’t care for Possessor, although I’m willing to give it a second chance some time down the line. I can finally watch The Tenant!
Possessor does seem like a marmite movie in that people either love it or dislike it so much they don't even finish it.

I still want to see it, but I'm in the mood for a good old fashioned haunted house tale next. I have it narrowed down to The Changeling and The Legend of Hell House (1973). Which would you all watch first?

I still want to see it, but I'm in the mood for a good old fashioned haunted house tale next. I have it narrowed down to The Changeling and The Legend of Hell House (1973). Which would you all watch first?
The Changeling was our go-to scary movie when I was a kid (thanks mom), so I can't give an objective opinion at this point. I own an original poster, and my BFF claims that when we met I had no interest in her until she mentioned that she liked this film. I don't think that's true but maybe it is. The point is that I'm long past the point where I know if it's even good anymore.

Hell House is one that I've loved in the past but then decided was terribly silly. I owned the DVD and sold it, in fact. Still, it's written by my man Richard Matheson so I don't want to dismiss it outright. Worth watching to judge for yourself, I'd say.

The Changeling is more high-minded, serious, dramatic horror.

The Legend of Hellhouse ('73) is... somewhere between schlocky and campy. Something that's probably good for Saturday or Sunday afternoon watching?

So, depending on your mood of what you want, but The Changeling is the better movie.

Hell House jumped to my attention when J. Michael Straczynski tweeted about how good Roddy Piper is in it, but still, Changeling it is. Can't go wrong with George C. Scott.

EDIT: McDowall, not Piper.

You clowns! Hell House is great.

I haven't seen Changeling yet though (intend to get to it later this month), so for all I know I'll be eating my hat in a few weeks.

Also, Malignant...

WARNING: "Here be" spoilers below
They should have scooped out the brain at the end. You can't open up the skull and not follow through. Extremely disappointing in that regard.

Anyway, fun movie. Has an action scene that's way more visceral than anything in Furious 7 and Aquaman. It seems blockbuster money makes James Wan a sloppier filmmaker.

In most ways Changeling is the better movie, in regards to offering its audience a classic ghost story, mixed with tragedy and mystery. It's really great, and for many years, was in my top 5 horror movies of all time (it's fallen off simply from over exposure and my ever devolving tastes). I think it's pretty close to ghost perfection though.

There is absolutely an element of dopiness involved with Hell House, and it might not quite veer close enough to camp for some to excuse some of its histrionics and goofy paranormal vs science babble, but I think its also a top notch haunted house film because of these eccentricites. I also know that there was one plot element that really put people off at Rotten Tomatoes years ago, which just had me shaking my head, because is is what makes the movie the original that it is.

10/10 and 9/10 respectively.