Deadite's 50 Cool Movies for Cool People

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
glad to see ya back and continuing onward! Lovin the list and YES Time Bandits IS underrated. Great call on Blade Runner and while Tombstone IS great to watch, for myself, I alway go with Wyatt Earp.

"You all can kiss my rebel d*ck."

20. Mimic

I consider Del Toro's somber creature feature to be an underrated sci-fi horror gem. That may be partly due to lovely Mira Sorvino, but overall I find the atmosphere compelling, the monster designs are very cool, and the characters are intriguing albeit a bit thin (but c'mon, compared to most horror cardboard cut-outs they're pretty well-drawn). I especially liked Charles Dutton in his small but memorable irritable blues-singing supporting role.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I didn't get on with Mimic at all. I was looking forward to it, too, much more than The Relic, which looked pretty poor. After seeing both, I wished I'd just watched The Relic twice... and a lot earlier.

18. Evil Dead Trap

This 80's japanese slasher is as bonkers as it is grotesque. Starting with its lurid intro which shows talk show host Nami receiving a hideous snuff video, she and her team's investigation then leads to an abandoned military base where the film settles into being a fairly inventive slasher before finally morphing into an insane sci-fi nightmare in its last act. EDT achieves a sort of sleazy B-movie epicness thanks to some looney twists and turns, a vibe of general nastiness, the memorable monster Hideki, and a sudden flurry of false endings, all adding up to a unique horror experience well-deserving of its cult status.

17. Lord of Illusions

Atmospheric horror noir, underdeveloped but entertaining and intriguing. The Puritan is a memorably icky baddy.

16. Clay Pigeons

Fun black comedy and the best use of Vince Vaugn ever.

15. The Happiness of the Katakuris

Words... fail me. Zombie musical?

Great list and write ups Deadite ! I feel like i'm missing something when i skip by one of the films on your list because i haven't seen it . Also personally along with Mark F and Holden, i love your writing, i mean anyone who has seen Persona tell me this isn't GOLD - It's a film that seems to simultaneously demand and defy analysis. Visually stunning and casually shocking, its deceptively simple plot seems tapped into a kind of Jungian collective unconscious more than any film

could write pages on what Persona means to me, how it seems to use film as a metaphor for existence, both deconstructing itself as it goes and sublimely interweaving its identities, both reflecting and negating viewer expectations