The Tarantino Depreciation Club

Tools    

I don't like to turn my thoughts tO Tarantino's pre-eminence in cinema these days too often, not because the subject genuinely makes me steam up (although the inclination of such a dumb sensory overload is really what Tarantino would be aiming to provoke in his audience) and not because it is for such intrinsically simple reasons that it's not worth saying. I could say that there is almost defiantly no sense of morality - which is half true, but then if Lawrence Bender is to be believed, Pulp Fictions is about "justice" (all that biblical slant about the taking the "righteous path"), and Kill Bill Vol 2, in its thinness of plot a quintesssentially purgatorial film, is perhaps his weakest film. Th reason Ron Howard is more distinctly remebered for his stint in "HAPPY dAYS" than for his 17 hardly unproductive Hollywood projects is that his palpable "morality" is of an only semi-conscious, homely kind, rather than the more nuanced logistical canvas for individualism and existentialism that Tarantino's outings may have pretentions of being.
The simple fact is this:the effusive self-indulgence and manipulative sensationalism, and the fundamentalism of the ordinating tools of our modern day existence completely miss the point about scope, and for this reason Tatantino's films, however resourceful and eclectic they may be (why don't I ever here plagiaristic?), they are all singularly introspective, flashy, substanceless tripe from the School of Elite MTV Videos. Stanley Kubrick said of 2001 (which by the way I also think is over-rated) that it "seeks to ask more questions than it is answered", which if it wasn't for his misanthropic snobbishness, he would have said was the code of action for all dramatic works. Tarantino may be sharp, sassy, the thing of the moment,but his imagination is not plastic enough to founder crystallise the human condition and its psyche through anything but the indolent pop culture that strangles the after-hours of the Capitalist "happy medium". It seems that the creative energy of youth has waned and replaced by the hedonistic self-fulfilment of Marilyn Glastonbury, Retro Rock, booze, and the polarisation - not of political beliefs, which at least was polemical, if perhaps often dangerous - of taste. Taste, the exploring facet which we humans alone have, has in some ways collapsed. And Tarantino, the servant of all this, has strung the precipitates of materialism and self-glory in a human sympathy concordant with the audience, and has bulked it out refreshingly, in a way old films used to as a formality.
But Tarantino makes good films. Not brilliant films. Not evenntially brilliant films. He tricks us only a crudely as Hitchcock did, but will never manage the breadth of idolic moments or searing clarity. Because he is not original. He moves from Brian De Palama split-screen to Sergio Leone close up to John Ford long shot to Kurosawa lucid-composition to a Robert Altman sustain-shot, and stamps it with his whizzy contemporary fervour; but only a moment of gut-wrenching violence or limerick-style frivolous verbal jousting will he fashion a memorable moment. There is a name for this kind
of stuff... it's.. oh, that's it... Pulp Ficition, its called.
Many I'm wrong - maybe my cant is out. But my conviciton is that if Kill Bill and Jacky Brown are nothing but the most obscure of "cult classics" in twenty years, and Tarantino nothing more than a beleagured and washed up serenely as John Carpenter presently seems to be, then the film industry is sliding further than I had mentioned.
One last thing, before I prompt some responses: Tarantino said, before the April release of Kill Bill Vol 2, that he wanted the audience to be more like a rock concert than that of a theatre, as some of us hopefully still call them. He also expressed the desire to "make the audience's emotions spin on a ****in' dime!" So: "Oscar Wilde once sais "in poetry, no reaction was sometimes the best reaction". Now, if I've read right, during the premiere appearance of Mozart's "Dry Your Tears Africa", the audience met it with only the humble submissive awe befitting of a powerful creation of original genius. Cut to 1984, Mozart presents "Dry Tears Africa".. to a riotous applause. You might even say he was "spinning the audience's emotions on a ****in' dime", that it was like a "rock concert". Its not that opular culture has perverted the medium... its just that the '90s culture was a direct product of TV and film.
PS: I respect Tarantino for his talent. For his visual languidity, he has a strong grasp of narrative techniques, and gives each film an "edge", I could simplistucally say.
PSS: If you get actually get through this mammoeth thread... can we take the argument further? Or just a simple case of cordial agreement wouldn't go amiss.

Kill Bill is a so-called "homage" to a genre that consists generally of one simple idea, revenge. If you don't get it, then there is no use trying to explain it. It's one of those things that you either like or you don't. If you went to see Kill Bill expecting a deep, thoughtful plot then it was you who made the mistake.

PS: It looks like people might be hitting you with bad rep for this thread. Is it this one or another one that you've gotten bad rep for?

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Originally Posted by Duck Aisez
I don't like to turn my thoughts tO Tarantino's pre-eminence in cinema these days too often, not because the subject genuinely makes me steam up (although the inclination of such a dumb sensory overload is really what Tarantino would be aiming to provoke in his audience) and not because it is for such intrinsically simple reasons that it's not worth saying. I could say that there is almost defiantly no sense of morality - which is half true, but then if Lawrence Bender is to be believed, Pulp Fictions is about "justice" (all that biblical slant about the taking the "righteous path"), and Kill Bill Vol 2, in its thinness of plot a quintesssentially purgatorial film, is perhaps his weakest film. Th reason Ron Howard is more distinctly remebered for his stint in "HAPPY dAYS" than for his 17 hardly unproductive Hollywood projects is that his palpable "morality" is of an only semi-conscious, homely kind, rather than the more nuanced logistical canvas for individualism and existentialism that Tarantino's outings may have pretentions of being.
The simple fact is this:the effusive self-indulgence and manipulative sensationalism, and the fundamentalism of the ordinating tools of our modern day existence completely miss the point about scope, and for this reason Tatantino's films, however resourceful and eclectic they may be (why don't I ever here plagiaristic?), they are all singularly introspective, flashy, substanceless tripe from the School of Elite MTV Videos. Stanley Kubrick said of 2001 (which by the way I also think is over-rated) that it "seeks to ask more questions than it is answered", which if it wasn't for his misanthropic snobbishness, he would have said was the code of action for all dramatic works. Tarantino may be sharp, sassy, the thing of the moment,but his imagination is not plastic enough to founder crystallise the human condition and its psyche through anything but the indolent pop culture that strangles the after-hours of the Capitalist "happy medium". It seems that the creative energy of youth has waned and replaced by the hedonistic self-fulfilment of Marilyn Glastonbury, Retro Rock, booze, and the polarisation - not of political beliefs, which at least was polemical, if perhaps often dangerous - of taste. Taste, the exploring facet which we humans alone have, has in some ways collapsed. And Tarantino, the servant of all this, has strung the precipitates of materialism and self-glory in a human sympathy concordant with the audience, and has bulked it out refreshingly, in a way old films used to as a formality.
But Tarantino makes good films. Not brilliant films. Not evenntially brilliant films. He tricks us only a crudely as Hitchcock did, but will never manage the breadth of idolic moments or searing clarity. Because he is not original. He moves from Brian De Palama split-screen to Sergio Leone close up to John Ford long shot to Kurosawa lucid-composition to a Robert Altman sustain-shot, and stamps it with his whizzy contemporary fervour; but only a moment of gut-wrenching violence or limerick-style frivolous verbal jousting will he fashion a memorable moment. There is a name for this kind
Many I'm wrong - maybe my cant is out. But my conviciton is that if Kill Bill and Jacky Brown are nothing but the most obscure of "cult classics" in twenty years, and Tarantino nothing more than a beleagured and washed up serenely as John Carpenter presently seems to be, then the film industry is sliding further than I had mentioned.
One last thing, before I prompt some responses: Tarantino said, before the April release of Kill Bill Vol 2, that he wanted the audience to be more like a rock concert than that of a theatre, as some of us hopefully still call them. He also expressed the desire to "make the audience's emotions spin on a ****in' dime!" So: "Oscar Wilde once sais "in poetry, no reaction was sometimes the best reaction". Now, if I've read right, during the premiere appearance of Mozart's "Dry Your Tears Africa", the audience met it with only the humble submissive awe befitting of a powerful creation of original genius. Cut to 1984, Mozart presents "Dry Tears Africa".. to a riotous applause. You might even say he was "spinning the audience's emotions on a ****in' dime", that it was like a "rock concert". Its not that opular culture has perverted the medium... its just that the '90s culture was a direct product of TV and film.
PS: I respect Tarantino for his talent. For his visual languidity, he has a strong grasp of narrative techniques, and gives each film an "edge", I could simplistucally say.
PSS: If you get actually get through this mammoeth thread... can we take the argument further? Or just a simple case of cordial agreement wouldn't go amiss.
Wow, is it me or did the ignorance level around here go up by a few(thousand) points.And just wondering, have you ever heard of a little thing called paragraphs?But seriously all it seems you can do, is criticize people.And the truth is people will keep hitting you with bad rep for making posts such as this, this is a place to discuss films and have discussions, not to slander others.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Garrett~ Duck's introductory thread appeared intentionally splashy. I believe he got rep'd for that.

Duck~ first of all, dude... those are some really long sentences.

That said, you're making some pretty odd connections.
1. You acknowledge that Ron Howard is a filmmaker of a different color - a more subtle morality - and that his career is less touted. That's just today, though. He has been lauded in the past and will be again. He's certainly no less successful than Tarantino as an artist, so if some remember him as Opie, do you think he cares?

2. You attempt to skewer Tarantino's morality, but fail to note that he's created a world apart from our own...
WARNING: "Kill Bill" spoilers below
(unless YOUR mom hides a gun in her fruit loops)
and his characters are operating in the morality of that world. Also, as Garrett rightly pointed out, this is a revenge genre story, and those have done pretty well for the last few hundred years. Just because you missed the boat doesn't mean there wasn't one.

3. You close with a comparison to Mozart, but you point is a little askew. Tarantino isn't Mozart. He's not even the Mozart of today. He is, in this case, the Thomas Kyd of his day. With Kill Bill, he spins a compelling tale of revenge. He establishes an increasingly sympathetic central character, defines her world - thereby showing us the rules by which she plays, raises the stakes by detailing the nastiness of her adversaries, and ultimately provides a satisfying denoument. In Pulp Fiction, we are again in a world similar to our own, but clearly with it's own morality. Tarentino's circular use of time in the interweaving of these stories is genius, and one can easily cite later films by other writers with a Tarantino-inspired arrangement of scenes. Clearly, there are those in the industry who consider him a filmmaker of merit.

You seem to decry the immorality of the modern audience. Or is it that we clap too loud? That part was confusing.

One last thing: humans aren't the only creatures with taste. Clearly, you have never owned a cat.

coke kills drink pepsi

Whoa that some huge F****ing sentences.

coke kills drink pepsi

Personally, I also believe that Tarantino's a little overrated. Which is funny, of course, because I also happen think that his first three films are all very good [the first two, in particular, are excellent].

I don't believe that it's time to move towards a depreciation of Tarantino just yet, mind you, but with the promise of his upcoming Inglorious Bastards being little more than a "re-imagining" of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, I might soon be forced to change my mind.

first of all i want to say i couldnt disagree with you more. i think QT is a genius and i love all of his films. When you said his films are unoriginal i both agree and disagree. Quentin said himself that Pulp Fiction is a mix of originality and storys that have been used a million times.
WARNING: spoilers below
The first story is one that has been seen befor alot. A guy has to take out a friend's (or in this case Boss') out and has to choose wiether to be loyal to him or let his sexual attraction take over. but then QT adds originalty because you think the storys going to end with vincent making a huge choice but then QT makes OD scene and that changes this whole story. suddenly it went from being loyal to trying to save her life. The next story is another classic story. Boxer is paid to throw a fight then he doesnt and hitmen are looking for him. But usually in that story a crime boss and the boxer dont get tied up by gay rapists. Then the last story that starts in the beginning shows what the two hitmen do after they kill the people. And This shows them as regular people while alot of movies just show hitmen as cold blooded killers.

Reservoir dogs isnt really too original of a story but the film is still great and well made. Jackie Brown had a great story but it was based on a book. but the main attraction to that movie is not only the story but QT well written dialogue. Kill bill starts off as a simple story. Revenge but in vol. 2 it expands and you learn alot about the brides past and why Bill did these things to her.
I just think Quentin is one of the best directors in a long time. His story was like the only thing that made four rooms watchable.
By the way what do you have against Hitchcock. He made great horror movies. i loved psycho and birds the most.

Well done, Delila.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
Personally, I also believe that Tarantino's a little overrated. Which is funny, of course, because I also happen think that his first three films are all very good [the first two, in particular, are excellent].

I don't believe that it's time to move towards a depreciation of Tarantino just yet, mind you, but with the promise of his upcoming Inglorious Bastards being little more than a "re-imagining" of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, I might soon be forced to change my mind.
I agree with you entirely. I love Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, but from there on, I have gradually appreciated/enjoyed his films less and less. But the promise of Inglorious Bastards is looking good.

Originally Posted by Philmster
But the promise of Inglorious Bastards is looking good.
Um, I think that you may have actually misunderstood me, Philmster.

The thing is, I'm really NOT looking forward to Inglorious Bastards at all. The film, or so I've heard, is really just going to be a kind of WW-II "remake" of Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, and the idea, quite frankly, sickens me. I think that it's yet another step in the wrong direction for Tarantino and that it's completely and utterly without merit.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
Um, I think that you may have actually misunderstood me, Philmster.

The thing is, I'm really NOT looking forward to Inglorious Bastards at all. The film, or so I've heard, is really just going to be a kind of WW-II "remake" of Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. The idea, quite frankly, sickens me. I think it's completely and utterly without merit.
From what I had read it was going to be different, but, putting it like that, that really isn't a good idea. Jesus Christ when will the guy do something completely his own work?

So many good movies, so little time.
I love Tarantino because he is willing to take chances. Don't forget Kill Bill 1 and 2 are really just one movie. And even if he is copying and paying homage to a genre, he is creating something really different as far as mainstream American movies are concerned. As I watched the Kill Bills for the first time I couldn't wait to see what was going to come next. Bizarre, twisted, exciting... anything but not boring.
I am looking forward to Inglorious Bastards.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

A few points, briefly. I suppose that it was a mistake to make the entry. Perhaps I'm not well acclimatised to the message board etiquette(I suppose "you have some long paragraphs is the internet way of saying 2tuck your shirt in, huh?"), but exactly how thinly veiled, and how thickly set, does the irony have to be? The fact that the phrase was "you appear to be saying" is as heavy as the reactionary call to arms for a criticised demagogue indicates that yes, the ignorance level did go up a few thousand points (although correct me if I'm wrong, you judge that by the lack of obscurity laden within your referential names, dont you?).
Okay: I'll stick to my word and be brief. To avoid actually having to palpably take on a whole culture (to be frank, I'm just not up to it today), I didn't go right and say I was criticising the audience itself, but as far as indiscriminately chewing up the rank crap that the Americans have spitting out regulalrly for the last ten years, yes I am. Only an idiot would describe Mozart to Tarantino, of course, (apart from the, you know, patent inferiority and all): the similarity of course, is that both were pretty much the zenith of fame an "artist" could reach at the time (though, incredibly, Mozart was slightly less revered whilst he was alive) and am merely, in an admittedly petulant style, trying to highlight how far art has degenerated. I'm not expecting it to have a social use even... I know I shouldn't expect too much from Tarantino. SamsonDelila's rather vain attempt to justify the "genius" of Kill Bill by by mentioning rather tired if competent arguments about a "circular use of time" (er, you mean... it's "chronologically ****ed?" to quote another Quentin Qlassic. Yeah... it's a literary technique, its been done loads of times mate) and how the nastiness of the characters shed light on the plot (good point that, by the way; its probably the film's main virtue) suggest otherwise, but I think you'll find all this is mere aggrandisement. Because the film, as QT splurts in his numerous interviews, is: "Exploitative". Its an "homage", yes, but, barring Once Upon a Time in the West, its an "homage" to crap! A "B movie" - a damned classy one in the mould of Assault on Precinct 13, but hardly "intelligent and ambitious film making". And this is why this debate'll go on forever!
Admittedly, somebody seemingly so vitriolically critical and old-fashioned in his views, who can never keep to his promise about brevity, and who still has only the lowest grasp of paragraphs can never win many allies, but let me end with this: I am NOT simply criticising: I like Tarantino! But I like Star Wars, Planes Trains and Automobiles and Ghostbusters too, but only the first do I feel any ambivalence towards because it is hailed as something it's not (uh-oh, I've just caused more trouble for myself, haven't I?)
Look: I'm only calling for a bit of perspective. Tarantino might have plenty of creative energy, but frankly he lacks a Muse I would say if I didn't have scruples about sounding somewhat puritanncial. And as far that "DO WE CLAP TOO LOUD?" comment, well erm... is it me or are you confuding the Multiplex with a Fire Work display? Lets see ho many people who reply affirmatively on that. It just goes to prove my point about the dumbassed pyrotechnical showiness prominent in cinema today, and implies inadvertently the deep need you sad tossers need for some kind of mythical hero to add kudos to yieldless, self-congratulatory lives.
I know that a degree of mythology is often importnat in film (eg John Ford's many seminals) - but believe me, if you'd only turn your eyes left and behold the pantheon of clasiccal artistic masterpieces, why, you'll all be A) more obscure, b) more self assured in you pomp because you mythologise with better and wider materials and c) find your imaginations are no longer defunct grave yeards.
PS: MikeMyers epitomises your infernal lack of understanding. Did I criticise Hitchcock?Did I...? (sigh)... There's no helping fools.

My top ten films of all time (it would be rude of me not to).
1 Seven Samurai
2 Vertigo
3 The Godfather
4 Stray Dog
5 Raging Bull
6 Battleship Potemkin
7 On the Waterfront
8 The Deer Hunter
9 Ikuru
10 Barry Lyndon