What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Blasphemy! Dogma, greatest movie ever.
No, it's your favourite movie ever. Learn the difference, guy.

Anyway, the last movie I saw in cinemas...

Quantum of Solace.

I'm going to be generous and give it a
, a second viewing may knock it down though. Hell, I liked Crank better than this, if that tells you anything.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
My Name Is Bruce
I had a few problems with it, but at the end of the day this movie did exactly what it was supposed to. It's no Citizen Kane, but then Citizen Kane well nigh put me to sleep once. But the best part about the movie for me was the personal presence of Bruce Campbell at the screening. He introduced the movie and took questions from the audience afterward. He is a man of much charm and wit- his personal presence is warm and powerful. You can see that this is a fellow who loves what he does and that comes across in even the worst films that he has been in. I have never seen Bruce 'phone it in.'

Should you see this movie? Only if you are a Bruce Campbell fan and fun self-conscious and self-parodying/celebrating B-movie cheese is your cup of tea. And most especially if Bruce himself is coming to your neck of the woods with it. If Campbell is personally on hand for the showing, then I can almost certainly guarantee that you will have a good time- even if you hate the movie itself.
I'm a huge Bruce Campbell fan, but was so disappointed with Man With The Screaming Brain. I didn't laugh much and was bored to death with it. Please tell me this one is better. I've been looking forward to it for awhile and don't want to be let down again.

Suspect's Reviews

Kisses

Directed by Lance Daly

Irish movie based in Dublin City centered around two neighborhood children (Kylie and Dylan (12-13)) who, following continuous abuse (both physical and sexual) decide to leave there homes and embark upon Dublin inner city in search of Dylan's brother. On their journey to find Dylan's brother they are giving a harrowing view of Dublin City's homelessness problem. They are forced to beg and steal to survive and following advice by Bob Dylan (not really him, unbeknown to the kids though) they both save each other from imminent danger and thus blooms their relationship.

Valkyrie 2008, Bryan Singer

Saw this one tonight. It's a good, involving flick. Not a great one, no masterpiece, but still a damn good ride.

There are not many historic national heroes Germany can point to from the Second World War. The names of infamous Nazi evil are well known, as they should be, but not every soul in Germany was either dark or complicit in their silence. Some tried to stand up against the wrongs of the Third Reich. One such brave man was Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg.

There have been other retellings of this story, on both the big and small screens, many of them made in Germany, and the best-known in the United States probably being the 1990 CBS TV movie "The Plot to Kill Hitler" starring the late Brad Davis as Colonel von Stauffenberg. But with Valkyrie and Tom Cruise in the lead role there is the best potential yet for this amazing chapter of history to reach a worldwide mass audience. Even if it comes wrapped primarily as an entertainment.

Cruise is very good in the lead, playing a Nazi Colonel who is wounded in the African campaign and returns home to find himself recruited into a conspiracy to assassinate Adolph Hitler. While von Stauffenberg is amenable to the idea, he disagrees with the strategy, which has produced many failed attempts on the Fürer. He wants in, but sees it has to be more than just the death of Hitler. If he is to participate it must have a chance of truly turning over the entire government and the negotiating a surrender to the Allies. He has a rather ingenious plan. Operation Valkyrie is a wartime contingency plan to protect Berlin and the seat of power in a crisis, an order that would give the Reserve Army and the Generals at the command center the power to supercede all other authority. The plan is to kill Hitler (and hopefully Himler), then quickly enact Valkyrie and seize control in a coup that, if done properly, could be relatively bloodless and find the SS and all ranking officials and officers not with them in custody before the dust has settled.

You need not be an honors student in history to know that the plot, enacted on the 20th of July 1944, did not succeed. But exactly how and why it didn't work and how close they came to ending the War is fascinating and well realized as a dramatic narrative. Like All the President's Men and the best recreations of historical events, it's amazing how much suspense can be generated when you already basically know the ending before it even starts. Bryan Singer's Valkyrie is a tight two hours with about one half the set-up and the second half the fateful day. Once the assassination is attempted there are some very nice suspense scenes. Not Hitchcock level of mastery, but very well done without relying on a lot of fancy filmmaking bells and whistles. Other than the battlefield sequence in Tunisia that introduces Cruise as the Colonel there is very little "action". Thank goodness nobody took any of the Studio notes that surely came down the chain of command and suggested a lot of elaborate gun battles and CGI explosions might be required to make it a blockbuster. It's quite old fashioned in that way, and refreshingly so. Even minus slick action spectacle (or maybe because of its absence) Valkyrie will keep you on the edge of your seat. There are lots of characters moving about in this conspiracy, and though we don't get a heck of a lot of time to know each one the film does do a fine job of keeping all of the pertinent facts and characters straight and moving the plot along to its inevitable conclusion, helped by a strong supporting cast including Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson and Terence Stamp, among others.

While the streamlined narrative is very effective for pace and building to nearly an hour's worth of suspense as a conclusion, it's also the film's main weakness. While at this point I think it's a given that we as modern audiences, even the undereducated, all understand why Hitler and the Nazi's were wrong and that this conspiracy, had it worked, would have been a wonderful thing, the film never lets us know what the specific motivations for any of the key players are. Even von Stauffenberg, other than a sense of 'Hitler bad, end war now', you don't get any revelation of what made him willing to risk everything to unseat Hitler and the Nazis. Without even his reasons, much less a few of the other key conspirators, I think a big piece of the history and of the drama of these characters is missing. For example Cruise's Colonel does make one brief mention of the Concentration Camps in a list of things that have to be shut down should they take power, but even in that scene it's not clear if he or anybody else in that room really know what the Camps are, or if so how they found out or what they think of Jews or anything else. We just know they have decided this assassination and coup are necessary. Obviously removing Hitler is good for Germany and humanity, but how did this group of military men and politicians arrive at this conclusion in 1943 and 1944?

But given those limitations, as a wartime thriller, Valkyrie is a success. As for this being an almost entirely English-speaking cast, be they American, English, Irish what have you, it's an age-old conceit in the movie business and frankly I found them speaking in their natural voices far less distracting than if they had all adopted German accents for the English dialogue. I think in the best of situations either it is made in the country of origin or, as with Clint Eastwood's Letters from Iwo Jima for example, made with actors all speaking the original language even in an "American" production. Singer uses the same device director John McTiernan employed for The Hunt for Red October and then The 13th Warrior where the first four or five lines Cruise speaks are in German, in voice-over as he is writing in his journal, but then mid-sentence switches to English and we the audience are to understand that the actors won't be speaking German but obviously the characters and historical figures would have been. It works fine for the movie, especially a movie that is more purely a thriller than a history.

GRADE: B
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hmm... Quarantine was the last film I saw in theaters, a review for which can be found in my review thread. I don't get to the theater as often as I'd like; I spend all of my "extra" money on DVDs instead.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Recently, after my family and I visited some friends in Boston for Thanksgiving dinner, I decided to make a big night of it and drove to the Coolidge Corner Theatre to see the new movie, Milk, with Sean Penn, who did a wonderful job playing the part of the late Harvey Milk. A movie well worth seeing, imho.

Punisher: War Zone. Nothing amazing but it personified the Punisher Max comic series (one of my favourite series) so well that i couldn't help but love it.

Ballast
2008, Lance Hammer

Very quiet and deceptively involving story about a few people in the cold Delta of Mississippi. It begins with about the only real "action" in the movie, with the discovery of a dead man who killed himself days before and almost immediately after the discovery the attempted suicide of another man. We also meet a young pre-teen and his working mother, who barely have enough money to pay the rent and not much else. The boy is getting drawn into the world of some local drug dealers, who have given him all the free samples they are going to and now he owes them money. It's not clear during the first section of the film how these two stories are intertwined, if at all, or even how the dead and wounded men from the first scene are related. The backstory is very slowly revealed - probably maddeningly slow for some viewers, and by the end not only do you understand the relationships but you care very much about their outcome. At least I did. Mostly it's a story about place and a few lost souls who are trying to survive and find their way in it.

JimMyron Ross is good as the young man as is Tarra Riggs as his mother, but it is Micheal J. Smith, Sr. who gives the most effecting performance despite the fact that he can't have more than fifty lines of dialogue in the whole movie, including not speaking a word for I believe the first forty-five minutes or so of screentime. It's shot in color but with such a limited palate that it almost seems like black and white, or at least gray and brown. In terms of tone and style the closest thing I can compare it to are the films of Los Angeles indie filmmaker Charles Burnett (The Killer of Sheep), who was actually born in Mississippi.

four Christmases was boring, vince definitely could have done better...role models was hilarious, rather enjoyed this one greatly...still haven't seen new bond film, although i'm hearing mixed things, not looking good...
"Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets." - Dante Hicks

Ballast
2008, Lance Hammer

Sounds like they captured the Mississippi Delta... it's one of the most dismal places I've ever been in my life... Thanks Holden... I'm adding this one to my "to see" list...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Sounds like they captured the Mississippi Delta... it's one of the most dismal places I've ever been in my life... Thanks Holden... I'm adding this one to my "to see" list...
I've never spent much time in Mississippi, except to drive through it on the way to somewhere else, but having visited my relatives in rural Louisiana many times over the years Ballast definitely captures that sad sense of hopelessness and a wet, muddy, rusty landscape that isn't going to get better anytime soon.

Quantum of Solace
2008, Marc Forster

Finally got around to the latest Bond picture. Certainly wasn't the most intricate of the franchise, but as a slick, straight-ahead action flick I thought it worked perfectly, and as a true sequel to the first Daniel Craig vehicle I found it quite satisfying. I hope the next installment will have a little more meat to it, but I can't say I didn't enjoy this ride for what it was. Craig still kicks much booty as the most physical 007 ever, I like the relationship that is developing between his Bond and Dame Judi's M, Olga Kurylenko is very appealing both as her character and a scantily-clad Bondgirl, Mathieu Amalric can do a shady bad guy in his sleep and Jeffrey Wright is such a calm, cool Felix Leiter that I'd love to see more of his interactions with the less righteous members of the CIA.

Whether or not they all work perfectly, I like that director Marc Forster takes such different material project to project: Monsters Ball to Finding Neverland to Stranger Than Fiction to The Kite Runner to a James Bond movie and next announced as the helmer of Max Brooks' Zombie opus World War Z makes him damn near impossible to pin down.

As a stand-alone Bond flick, maybe Quantum's not one of the best (certainly one of the most awkwardly titled), but as a bridge between the first and third Danny Craig 007 adventures I suspect it'll fit very well.

Role Models and now it is one of my favorite movies. I didnt think it would be as funny as it was.

I'm going to watch Annie Hall in a local theater down the street. They play older movies at midnight.