What is your movie speciality?

Tools    

Well, I have a mix favorite tipes of movies definitions, but absolutley I rather children as comedy movies, and action movies.

yara

Superhero movies.

Which includes genrebender's like Sin City and The Passion of the Christ

I cruise Netflix often and I am so into the independent so to speak movies, the darker the better. I love topics that mainstream won't touch because of its "controversial" nature or taboo subject. I think nothing is taboo or controversial anymore. I love movies that take a chance and put subjects out there even if you wanna sweep it under the rug.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I cruise Netflix often and I am so into the independent so to speak movies, the darker the better. I love topics that mainstream won't touch because of its "controversial" nature or taboo subject. I think nothing is taboo or controversial anymore. I love movies that take a chance and put subjects out there even if you wanna sweep it under the rug.
I find it sad that even a mainstream film that tackles a controversial subject gets shot down. Brokeback Mountain had great cred, top critical acclaim, a top director and A-list actors, but still got snuffed out of an Oscar for Best Picture because it was about a subject that, in some circles, is still taboo (sadly.) I still know of many people that refuse to watch it and/or snicker when the name is mentioned. (Sadly, many of my students, they are in their early teens, snicker when they hear the title.)

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Although I definately try to keep myself well rounded, horror is probably my most watched genre. I've sort of unknowlingly become an expert on the Splat Pack(Aja, Bousman, Marshall, McLean, Roth, Wan, Whannell, Zombie), I didn't even know all those directors were grouped together, I just happen to really like all of them and their common mentors(Tarantino, Rodriguez, del Toro, Miike, Hooper). Specifically I absolutely loooove Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez, Eli Roth and Guillermo del Toro, but I know and thoroughly enjoy all of thir works.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Off beat, based on speculative fiction, often relating to death, films are my specialty.

(I think.)

I will continue to ponder this question.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Although I definately try to keep myself well rounded, horror is probably my most watched genre. I've sort of unknowlingly become an expert on the Splat Pack(Aja, Bousman, Marshall, McLean, Roth, Wan, Whannell, Zombie), I didn't even know all those directors were grouped together, I just happen to really like all of them and their common mentors(Tarantino, Rodriguez, del Toro, Miike, Hooper). Specifically I absolutely loooove Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez, Eli Roth and Guillermo del Toro, but I know and thoroughly enjoy all of thir works.
So what do you know about Mario Bava and Dario Argento? George Romero and John Carpenter? Terence Fisher and Freddie Francis? Alfred Hitchcock and Val Lewton? James Whale and Tod Browning? Horror is a time-honored genre which has been with us for over 100 years. There are plenty of riches to appreciate.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
geeze people keep testing each other in this thread \

I think i watch a lot of, and get maximum enjoyment out of war movies and i'm not gonna list off any because then somebody will throw other titles at me and ask if i've seen that I also enjoy the mobsters of course. And the 'journey' adventure and possibly epic? epic is stretching it but movies like LotR and Apocalypto and Lawrence of Arabia, that kind of genre sort of faded a bit with my childhood though =\

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
So what do you know about Mario Bava and Dario Argento? George Romero and John Carpenter? Terence Fisher and Freddie Francis? Alfred Hitchcock and Val Lewton? James Whale and Tod Browning? Horror is a time-honored genre which has been with us for over 100 years. There are plenty of riches to appreciate.
I've checked and my movie store doesn't have any Mario Bava, I was just debating if I should put Suspiria in my top 10, love that movie but my movie store again has failed me for his other stuff, Romero is amazing, I think Carpenter's a touch overrated, but he did Halloween so I guess I can't really say anything against him, Fisher of course gets credit cause he's a pioneer(The Mummy's my fave of his), gonna be honest, I don't know Freddie Francis, I've only seen The Curse of the Cat people of Lewton which was...interesting...And of course Hitchcock's a genius, but I consider him more suspense than horror, Whale's Frankenstein is beautiful, a great example of the deepness within the horror genre, and Browning's Dracula was alright(my least favorite of the classic horror movies) but actually i just imdbed him and his other stuff looks interesting(any recommendations?). So that's what I know about those..and out of all of those, I generally still enjoy Tarantino, Rodriguez, and del Torro more.

geeze people keep testing each other in this thread \

I think i watch a lot of, and get maximum enjoyment out of war movies and i'm not gonna list off any because then somebody will throw other titles at me and ask if i've seen that I also enjoy the mobsters of course. And the 'journey' adventure and possibly epic? epic is stretching it but movies like LotR and Apocalypto and Lawrence of Arabia, that kind of genre sort of faded a bit with my childhood though =\
I love war movies.

Since I've listed my alltime favorite movie(s) here on a number of different occasions, and because my top ten favorites are on my profile here, I've decided to just to tell what kind of movies are my specialty.

I've always been one that likes movies with a great deal of action in them. Movies that're too slow are not movies that I care for much. Nor do I care for movies that're overly gory, violent or graphic. However, I'm more than willing to tolerate a certain amount of the above-mentioned, however, if a movie's not absolutely and totally saturated with them. Once in awhile, I enjoy seeing a documentary film or whatever about any kind of world events or historical events that catch my interest. Although I've seen occasional movies from Asia that've been interesting, movies from the third world, especially places such as Africa and the Muslim middle east are not films that are of interest to me, especially after the horrific 9/11 attacks on NYC's WTC Towers.

However, back to the subject at hand: Movies that have a whole combination of action, violence, gentleness, romance, humour, exuberance, tensions, sadness and wit are movies that appeal to me the most. Movies where people are always doing something are movies that're cool too. Given today's political climate, however, I've come to mainly prefer movies that I consider somewhat more distant from today's political climate, because I figure I can always read the papers, get the news on other internet forums, or occasionally watch the news on TV (this last latter I haven't done much of since 9/11). Movies that're fiction but closer to reality (West Side Story and some other films come to mind here) are also movies that're appealing to me.

A system of cells interlinked
My two favorite genres are Noir/Tech-Noir and Surrealist.

I need lots of style, low-key lighting, and wild characters in my favorite films. Blade Runner is clearly the top dog in Tech-Noir for me, with Mulholland Drive coming in a close second. It should be first, I guess, because it is a surrealist noir... I can never seem to move BR out of my top slot, though...

I can never seem to move BR out of my top slot, though...
The above quote from your post is one that I strongly identify with, Sedai, because West Side Story is in my top slot, and, as far as
I can see, it always will be. I love it!

anything seventies, eighties, early nineties espesh if its cheesy, comedy or teenage related. ie anything john waters.