Hello Members

Tools    

Yeah, new users can't post links until they hit 25 posts (it stops a lot of spam bots).
I was wondering the other day is the reason you don't do the same with threads so new users can make an introduction thread right away? Would that not cut down on those spam attacks or do you think it'd be the same result with posts? Just wondering if the bots would maybe spam the same thread or what.

That's a decent idea tbh.
It'd certainly limit the freedom of genuine members who are new, but, well, stopping the starting of new thread would be part-and-parcel of that too.
But saying that, it'd be tougher to track spammers as the Now Showing would be a series of existing posts rather than a pile of odd looking thread titles.

Yeah, want people to be able to introduce themselves, a lot of new users have questions to ask, etc. I could program in exceptions for just those two forums, but it seems a bit much.

It's definitely a balance between stopping spam and making the site welcoming. Always open to tweaking that line, but if anything I lean towards easing the post count restrictions a bit more going forward. We can handle the spam fairly easily, so the only bad tweak would be one that resulted in a lot more.

So, I guess to quickly up the post count one would need to participate in the Miscellaneous Forums?

Reviews!
Do loads of reviews!

Welcome

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

So, I guess to quickly up the post count one would need to participate in the Miscellaneous Forums?
Eh, up to you, but it doesn't take that long to respond "normally" in other discussions.

Mainly, though, you could just post the review without the trailer. Trailers are easy enough to find and most of the threads for various films have them in there already.

Word Association for post count! My only posts in the Word Association thread where with a member who was temporarily banned and had set up a new account so they could PM me

Welcome man....
Word Association for post count! My only posts in the Word Association thread where with a member who was temporarily banned and had set up a new account so they could PM me
Hmmm... word association or review, word association or review? I am becoming insane with long periods of horrible sanity!
Word assotiation. It's much shorter. you can get 25 posts in less than 25 seconds. Or any other game practically.

Camo, aren't you the guy who tried to kill Don Corleone?
Yes. i killed him.