Holden & mafo at Movie Forums

→ in
Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
What about the scene when Montgomery Clift and John Ireland admire each others guns?

It's still a few years before The Duck is given his Oscar for True Grit
Little Bill Daggett: Duck, I says.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Just popped in here and I must say, this is a great thread. Too bad you can't do side-by-side posts.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

A system of cells interlinked
Bump - You guys doing up another flick soon?

How about Breakfast at Tiffany's?

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Bump - You guys doing up another flick soon?

How about Breakfast at Tiffany's?
I'm all for it. I love that movie though I can't completely look at the film the way I did before I went to NYC.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Yeah, The Shootist is up there. It's the perfect way for Wayne to have gone out on film, and Don Siegel does a good job mixing wistful nostalgia with some of the myth-breaking of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Footage from Red River is used in the opening, as well as bits from Rio Bravo and El Dorado, in establishing Wayne's character's exploits in younger days. It also wound up as the final Western for Jimmy Stewart, The Duck's Liberty Valance co-star who made his mark in the genre mostly in flicks made by Anthony Mann.
I think The Shootist is great in that it's somewhat reflective of Wayne's real life situation, though apparently he didn't know he had cancer until after he made the film. I appreciate the "going out in style" idealogy of the movie. Jimmy Stewart's line "If I had half the courage that you do, I would not die the death I just described," gets to me quite a bit.

I remember I must have been about 13 or so when I first saw The Shootist and it really made me think about death quite a bit.
Another great moment is when Wayne says to Bacall, "I'm a dieing man afraid of the dark," after basically beginning her to go riding with him in the countryside.

Like Red River it shows a vulnerable and unperfect John Wayne, though the two are very different films of course. Red River is my favorite film of all time. I just now went through and read mark's and holden's posts.

You two going to do another one of these or what?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'd like to, and I saw Holden on here a minute ago, so let's hound him to death until he does it!!

Bump, HOLDEN!!! Where you at? I require an explanation Mr. Pike...

The Film Festival won't be finished until this Sunday, so I'm rather busy until then. But if you want to fire up another topic, go ahead, and I'll start noodlin' on it.

What about a discussion of a single director, actor or subgenre of film? I know there are plenty Mark and I respectfully disagree on, and a bunch more we more or less see eye to eye on.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
No rush, I hope. I just went through some dormant threads and bumped a few I might want to do before I take off to the Undiscovered Country.

If we want to "respectfully" get bloody, we could do John Cassavetes. If we want to go where we mix it up a bit more, we could do Sam Peckinpah. "Post-modern" European cinema (4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, Revanche, Festen) could be really polarizing, but I hope in an interesting way.

Holds, do you have any specific names or ideas?

Cassavetes or Peckinpah, you guys discussing either one sounds pretty interesting to me.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Don't suppose there's any chance of this thread being brought back to life, is there? Would love to hear you two talk up some more classics. A discussion on a director or subgenre sounds great.

I know, this was actually pretty interesting. Maybe you can discuss some films that came out recently that you two might've enjoyed?