Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Kingdom of Us

Sad how children have to inherit the bad traits of their parents.. I wish there was more information on the dad. I thought the best part was when one daughter says "In every video, he was so sad, and we were laughing and running around".. There wasn't much information on the mother, who says things like "I wasn't perfect" or "There are two sides to every story" after one child reads the suicide note (though the audience doesn't know).. She never mentioned why she loved him, and it seemed like she wanted to pretend she never married the guy.

I'd recommend watching this even though I don't think it's very good.

Power Of Attorney (Howard Himelstein, 1995)
+
Difficult to defend but not unwatchable imo

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Wonder Woman (2017)

This starts so well but the end is a bit meh. I enjoyed a lot of it - everything about the island at the start, the world war I setting, the dialogue between Diana and Steve, Gal Gadot, Lucy Davis, Wonder Woman being Wonder Woman. It's just that the longer it goes on the more it loses plot and personality which is a shame. Good, but in a year of superhero saturation, not amazing. (Although at least DC have actually got a female superhero as the lead in her own movie, unlike Marvel.)

-

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Please can Doctor Strange use his time bending powers to send Taika Waititi back in time to direct the first two Thor films as well?

Murder On The Orient Express, really enjoyed it! My review is up on my channel if anyone would like to check it out. Never read the novel or watched the tv series or any other adaptation for that matter, so can't compare... But I really did like it. Lost some of the tension and suspense that it did a really good job at building during the first two acts, but overall very enjoyable and pulled on the heart strings. I gave the movie a B+.

Welcome to the human race...
My Father Die -

imagine being Pierce Brosnan and helping co-produce your son's movie about a guy who wants to kill his abusive father

The Old Dark House (1932, James Whale)

A very enjoyable 'spooky house' horror comedy flick with Boris Karloff. Some hilariously quirky/creepy moments in this one.

"Have a potato!"

Stand-In (Tay Garnett, 1937)

Nice enough romantic comedy drama that doubles as a satire

Unregistered User

Night On Earth (1991)

Another Jarmusch, another near masterpiece! Shown in 5 vignettes of taxi rides in different cities, all 5 are quite different but very funny, even the one with the saddest story ever told. My favourite was New York which had me laughing the whole entire time.

Fantastic film.

Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980)

Directed by Rainer Fassbinder I found this quite tough to get through. I couldn't do more than one episode per night barring the last two which were total chaos beyond words.

+

All I have to say is... best movie I've seen in 2017, and an instant action classic! Everything about this movie is great... the perfect example of a brutally violent film being a piece of art. Highly recommend!

10/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Night On Earth (1991)

Another Jarmusch, another near masterpiece! Shown in 5 vignettes of taxi rides in different cities, all 5 are quite different but very funny, even the one with the saddest story ever told. My favourite was New York which had me laughing the whole entire time.

Fantastic film.

Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980)

Directed by Rainer Fassbinder I found this quite tough to get through. I couldn't do more than one episode per night barring the last two which were total chaos beyond words.

+
Fine movie, I love Mattii Pellonnpaa (driver in Helsinki).... I was thinking about Berlin Alexanderplatz as a replacement show once I'm done with Northern Exposure.

Unregistered User
Fine movie, I love Mattii Pellonnpaa (driver in Helsinki).... I was thinking about Berlin Alexanderplatz as a replacement show once I'm done with Northern Exposure.

He played his part brilliantly. So emotive. I think you would like Berlin Alex. Give it a go.

Tomorrow, When The War Began (Stuart Beattie, 2010)
+
Mediocre YA fare for the illiterate

L'Atalante

Liked this but didn't love it. I liked enough about it that i recognize Vigo's death at 24 as a blow to cinema; even though i wasn't in love with this i think it was a very good first effort and that there was possibly great stuff to come from him. I understand alot of the praise for this comes from its influence on later cinema particularly the French New Wave. That's a movement i haven't explored that much yet so i'm looking forward to returning when the influences are more apparent to me. The film definitely got better as it went on, Pere and Juliette's bonding scene where he was showing off his tattoo's and stuff was incredibly endearing. Beforehand i kind of expected Pere to play some sort of villain role, was definitely surprised when Jean turned out to be the bad guy and also that his over the topness didn't bother me he may have been my favourite charactr actually. My favourite scene was probably in the bar with the magician , it was so fast moving with great music and that guy was really talented; was like a Chaplin scene or something. It also cemented how much of a humourless, jealous a-hole Jean was, that was the first time i truly felt Juliette's regret coming through. It was implied in the scene he hit her earlier but her smiling and having fun with that guy while also feeling nervous about letting this on because of Jean was what really did it. Thing is that guy was definitely overstepping his bounds so Jean's reaction was somewhat justified it was more how angry, controlling and devoid of pleasure he came across except when he got Juliette alone to try and manipulate her back onto his side, was pretty creepy. That was a problem for me i never really believed in their relationship so despite finding a fair amount of the last twenty minutes beautiful the music and underwater scene in particular, i was never rooting for them which hurt my enjoyment. Anyway good film.

+

You can't win an argument just by being right!

All I have to say is... best movie I've seen in 2017, and an instant action classic! Everything about this movie is great... the perfect example of a brutally violent film being a piece of art. Highly recommend!

10/10
I havent finish this yet but i agree, its very good. So is Bone tomahawk.

I havent finish this yet but i agree, its very good. So is Bone tomahawk.
Didn't see Bone Tomahawk yet. But after viewing this, it's on my short list. Hopefully I get to this week, but definitely will watch it sometime this month.

Boldly going.
Transformers: the last knight
4/10.
I should have given up on this series a long time ago. Ended up fast-forwarding though most of it. Just shows how even a good actor like Anthony Hopkins can't save a bad movie. The only thing this series has going for it now is that the U.S. military gets to show off its tech. Do 13 year-old boys still like this series?

This might just do nobody any good.
I thought Bone Tomahawk was pretty lame. There’s a pretty graphic moment and that’s about the only thing that stood out.

2/3 of it verrrrrry slow (like drive) which I really like because for me it makes me super tense because I know payoff is coming, then boom!

The pay off in BT is Holy Ef!!!

Please excuse my potty mouth. This endng left me very shaken and disturbed, Doc

I thought Bone Tomahawk was pretty lame. There’s a pretty graphic moment and that’s about the only thing that stood out.
The end , Saunch?