Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Man on Wire (2008)

-

Going in, I felt like I didn't care about some nut walking a tightrope, so big points to this documentary for keeping me very interested. It turned out to be quite exciting, and seeing the construction of the Twin Towers and their overall involvement was rather moving*as well. I would have given an extra half popcorn if he fell.

Welcome to the human race...
Munich -
or
, not quite sure yet

There are good parts, and there are bad parts, and it's probably a bit too long for its own good.

Bad Words (2013)

An adult man, through a loophole, participates in the national spelling bee for children

Jason Bateman nails it with precision -- foul-mouthed, wickedly sarcastic, and very bright. He expertly gets under his young opponents' skins, infuriates the spelling bee executives, and seriously pisses off the parents. The dialogue is most excellent, raw, smart and funny.

At first this premise might sound gimmicky, and in another world would land as a Saturday Night Live sketch, but it was handled masterfully by all involved. It has meat, will keep you interested -- a perfectly balanced comedy-drama. Great supporting players, particularly young Rohan Chand and Kathryn Hahn. I really liked this one.

4.7 Antidisestablishmentarianism's out of 5

Sounds good,made a note of this one.

Unregistered User

Altered States (1980)

William Hurt stars as Edward Jessup, a professor who becomes obsessed with sensory deprivation through the use of a water tank. Various hallucinogenic drugs are consumed and it all goes quite psychedelic and at times really bizarre. Some of the effects are a bit dated and the pacing at times slow but if you have a taste for trippy sci-fi-horror with goat headed men then this is the film for you. The fact that Ken Russell directed this comes as no surprise.

Blissfully Oblivious
Pixels...

So I gave Pixels a shot yesterday and I've seen the reviews and I thought maybe they're just being hard on Adam Sandler and maybe if I give it a shot, maybe I'll get some enjoyment out of it. Well all I gotta say is...

BELIEVE THE DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!

Now I'm going to just get this out of the way. The pixelated characters were decent. I got to the battle with the centipede and that actually was really cool to watch. Alright good thing out of the way.

I watched this "comedy" for fifty six minutes and I did not laugh once and I've got a pretty easy funny bone. The jokes made no sense. There's a scene where a grown a$$ woman is drinking alcohol out of a sippy cup and it's not just any grown a$$ woman...it's Michelle Monaghan!!! An actress who has made intelligent career choices in the past (Source Code, Gone Baby Gone, True Detective, freaking Due Date...AN ACTUAL FREAKIN COMEDY!!!!! BENIIEE F***** HANNA!!!!) and you're telling me that she agreed to act that scene out? Now I know why she was on the floor crying! She wasn't acting! They had a gun pointed at her head!!

I knew I should've turned it off right there but I said no! I'm going to keep on watching this crap and for the rest of the time I forced myself to watch this failure of it's genre, it was nothing but eye rolls, exasperating sighs of disappointment, and yelling at my tv. At one point, I had my face in my hands, rocking back and forth, and just begging for it to make me laugh.

The laughs never came.

You sell your film as a comedy, your job is to make people laugh! Your movie can be about whatever you want it to be! JUST MAKE PEOPLE LAUGH!!! When people aren't laughing, guess what?! You're film is not a comedy and you should be sued for false advertisement Happy Madison!

And Peter Dinklage? What were you thinking?! You are a golden globe winner! You're the reason I'm still watching Game Of Thrones and you're just like..."Screw it! Why not star in a film that may ruin the careers of everyone involved?!" Fortunately, Tyrion's still bada$$ enough to over look this plight on cinema and your performance was the most believable out of everybody but...DAMMIT MONEY!!!

And what's up with Josh Gat slapping guys a$$e$ when it's been clearly established that he's obsessed with a "female" video game character? Just what?!

Look I'm not going to keep going like this. This movie's horrible. Don't waste any form of money on it or thought for that matter. It's not worth it and I am now officially throwing both Happy Madison and Adam Sandler in my **** bucket where they'll reside forever along with Eli Roth and Uwe Boll. Congrats Adam!! I hope you enjoy the critical hell you've made for yourself...

JACKA$$!!!

The Magician (1958)

Max Von Sydow leads a small, traveling performance group that specializes in magic with a supernatural flair. They arrive in a town where some people believe in them, and some think they're scam artists, which is what they may be. They are required to prove their legitimacy before performing for the public.

This is most definitely a lesser film from director Ingmar Bergman, but it is still a pretty amusing watch. I didn't like Von Sydow's performance/character as much as I normally do, but the rest of the cast made up for it.

Time Lapse

So, I just watched this movie (don't ask how) and what can I say I enjoy it, I guess I love the movies where the end is the missing part that holds everything together, I am not sure if you may understand me , like the end explains all the rest of the things, this usually happens in time-machine movies which I could say I love. I could associate this felling with 12 Monkeys, but I like Time Lapse way more, and the end is as disturbing as amazing and sorprising. With that said, it was a great movie that I would watch again but I think it depends on the person who is watching it (And I am not just saying that because I am afraid of comments that don't agree and would say my taste in movies is awful . Yes you know I am talking about you >:3!)

And a strange thing happen to me with this movie, I don't know HOW it was on my movie list, I really don't remember where did I get the name. It's like my future me give me the name of the movie as it was so Awesome!

That movie was funny. Jason Bateman plays that sarcastic a-hole role perfectly.

Last movie I watched was Maze Runner 2. These sort of movies aren't normally my cup of tea but the girlfriend likes them. We saw the first one together and it was eh. Below average. The sequel, for what it's worth, was a little better. Action scenes were pretty good, including a cool glass window scene that I won't assume was ripped directly from Jurassic Park 2.

I'll give it a 2.5 out of 5.

Edgar Allan Poe

Welcome to the human race...
The 39 Steps -

Pretty solid even though it's pretty obvious what parts Hitchcock would refine with later movies.

The Lone Ranger (2013)

Fun Western take on the old radio serial and television series. I was a fan of the series as a kid and the movie, although with a few variations, didn't disappoint me. Both Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer are very funny (even though the series was a drama) and the action and acting are top-notch. Lots of good actors in support here, especially William Fichtner as Butch Cavendish, the Ranger's main nemesis. Since there were no credits at the start of the movie, I knew I recognized the actor playing Cavendish, but with all the scars and withered skin they put on Fichtner's face, I was shocked to find out it was him. The cast also includes Tom Wilkinson, Helena Bonham Carter, Barry Pepper, Stephen Root, and the beautiful Ruth Wilson, whom I'd never heard of before this film. The horse playing Silver steals every scene he's in, which is no reflection on the actors but an appreciation on how well the horse is trained. The big action is mainly in the first third and the last third, but the middle is great and focuses on Tonto's past quite a bit. Good stuff.

Jupiter Ascending (2015)

Thrilling, fast-moving sci-fi adventure, with Mila Kunis a young Earth woman who finds out she may be connected to royalty from other planets. While on Earth, she is rescued by an alien hybrid (played by Channing Tatum) who takes her on a dizzying spin across the skyline of Chicago, aided by gravity-repelling boots he wears, stealing an alien ship that's attacking them, and free-falling towards the ground in the city. This comes in the first thirty minutes and almost made me cross-eyed trying to keep up with every bit of action in this sequence. I had to watch it twice to pick up everything. It slows down a bit as they meet up with Sean Bean, a friend of Tatum's who is stationed on Earth. Things pick up again very fast as Kunis is kidnapped into space with Tatum going for the rescue again. Once she meets the royalty on other planets, she learns a lot about her life or supposed life. No fair giving it all away, because even at this point, there's plenty to find out, and see, as the visuals are outstanding. And this is one of the few movies I've seen in a long time where
WARNING: spoilers below
Sean Bean lives!
Really enjoyed it.

Unregistered User

Cobra Verde (1987)

Madman Klaus Kinski is as demented as ever in this story of an infamous bandit named Cobra Verde and his adventure that lead him from Brazil to Africa. In what would become the last collaboration between Kinski and director Werner Herzog, it was evident that there were 'problems' behind the scenes. The flow of the film wasn't as steady like normal from Herzog and Kinski seemed even more crazy than usual. His descent into even more madness rivals that of Aguirre, it really is a sight to behold. It does however have amazingly shot scenery and the work with the extras is particularly impressive due to the huge numbers alone. What Herzog does have a knack for, is how to end a film and again in this, its as devastating as it is fascinating.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)

Pretty enjoyable. It's pretty hard to criticise a film as knowing and self-aware as this one - casting Harry Palmer and a couple of the guys from Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy in a spy spoof, with Samuel L. Jackson as the cheeseburger-eating comic book villain, gleefully chewing up cliches and stereotypes and spitting them out again, and breaking the fourth wall, "this ain't that kind of movie". Occasionally it slips down the cracks between comedy and drama, not having quite enough of either, and there are times when, just like in Kick-Ass, the action stops being fun because it's just too violent. Not in a Tarantino fountains of blood kind of a way, but in an oddly uncomfortable kind of way, especially the violence or threatened violence towards children.

I think I enjoyed the spy spoofing all the more for having recently watched SPECTRE.