MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

The Wailing is SO GOOD but didn't vote for it

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is a classic it's good but didn't make my list

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Never considered Body Snatchers horror, just sci/fi.

As for The Wailing....that runtime...yeesh

Welcome to the human race...
The '56 Invasion is a thoroughly respectable piece of sci-fi/horror, maybe the quintessential '50s sci-fi movie (and possibly horror movie), and one that held up very well on a rewatch last year. I did not vote for it, though.

I didn't vote for The Wailing either, which I suppose is a fine movie but maybe a little overhyped.

Another of mine has been revealed. I was creeped-out and intrigued by Invasion of the Body Snatchers after first watching it on television as a kid and my admiration has only grown over the decades. The alien body snatching subgenre has been a favorite ever since. I have a thread dedicated to it HERE, and Don Siegel's adaptation of Jack Finney's story is the prototypical benchmark. Even with the compromised happy ending the sutdio insisted on - so brilliantly remedied by the ending of the 1978 sequelish version - it remains a powerful, fun classic.

Whale's The Invisible Man is wonderful but just missed my cut, and as highly as I regard Clouzot's Les Diaboliques I didn't consider it to be firmly enough in the horror genre to include. It is one of the best suspense pictures ever.

I have Invasion of the Body Snatchers as my eleventh pick. I originally had it as 1 but a pod was placed next to my choice overnight and as it slept I awoke to find two identical ones.

HOLDEN'S LIST
11. Invasion of the Body Snatchers [1956] (#70)
13. Antichrist (#82)
15. It Follows (#78)
23. Near Dark (DNP)
25. Trouble Every Day (DNP)

"I never knew fear until I kissed Becky."
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Jeez, I have some catching up to do in this thread!

I love that version of Body Snatchers. It's another from my 100 but don't really think of it as a horror film so didn't include it on this list. I can agree it can be seen that way though. It just doesn't feel it to me.

Obviously I haven't seen The Wailing.

When I first saw it, I thought that The Wailing felt a good hour longer than its actual runtime, but that ultimately didn't impact my overall opinion of the film. It almost adds to the experience in a way. I wasn't entirely sure how I felt about the film when I finished watching it, and it took some time afterwards before I was able to appreciate what I had seen. I had it on my list at #17.

I meant to rewatch Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but I didn't get around to it. Either my watch list was too long, I didn't spend my time wisely, or a little bit of both.

Seen: 23/32
My List: 3

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

I don't think I've seen this version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (most likely only seen the one with Donald Sutherland and even that's a long time ago). The Wailing is quite mixed bag for me. It's so Korean in both good and bad; too long, too much comedy but at the same time very good looking film with some great atmospheric scenes. And that little girl is damn good. Never even considered to put on my list though.

Seen: 25/32

List Intermission

I am going on vacation to the beach.

I'll be away from my visuals-generating computer until Sunday, April 7th, we'll resume the list then with #66 and #67.

This isn't a late April Fool's joke.

We've been going hard at this.

Make merry by all means, I'll check in from my phone when I can.

Nostromo

Enjoy your trip to the beach!

Just keep an eye out for any sea creatures, sinkholes, and creeps preying on college students. If you do see anything horrific, make sure to film it for us.

List Intermission

I'll be away from my visuals-generating computer until Sunday, April 7th, we'll resume the list then with #66 and #67.

Nostromo
Have a nice trip!

The Wailing is a stunning horror film that steadily builds its intensity with a bizarre tone that's hard to nail down. Had it at #17.

My List
#11. Onibaba (Kineto Shindo, 1964)
#17. The Wailing (Hong-jin Na, 2016)
#22. Raw (Julia Ducournau, 2016)

Enjoy your trip Nostromo

Unregistered User
Another good set in Invasion of The Body Snatchers and The Wailing. Already been said but the runtime is an issue with The Wailing and after loving The Chaser I was expecting bigger things, so maybe my expectations were too high. I also couldn't get any of the comedy at all.

Invasion of The Body Snatchers is excellent and I'm sure caused quite a stir with the audience when released. I rate it a
but it didn't make my list.

List Intermission

Nostromo

The Wailing is the hardest part.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've seen 8 of the first 32, which is pretty much what I expected since I'm no horror guru by any means.

Is there anyone else that would have included Us on their list? Just thought that movie was dope.