Movie Tab II

Tools    

Well it's partly just knowing Richard Farnsworth was dying of cancer and in real pain during filming, and would blow his brains out afterwards, but even on its own terms as a story the movie feels pretty painful to me.

All the vignettes are open-ended enough that you can think they end happily if you choose to. You can also interpret it as a bleaker personal journey into darkness than Apocalypse Now, because the main character is convincing as a guy who actually tries to do and see good things in the world but it's ultimately not in his control.

Princess Mononoke (1997) - Another Ghibli film, another very enjoyable experience.
The emotions generated by this movie were so powerful that I was unable to sleep for two days after I truly grasped this movie when I watched it for the second time. I don't understand why similar movies failed to touch me as remotely as strongly. Remains the most powerful emotional experience ever induced by a movie that I experienced.

Let the night air cool you off
The emotions generated by this movie were so powerful that I was unable to sleep for two days after I truly grasped this movie when I watched it for the second time. I don't understand why similar movies failed to touch me as remotely as strongly. Remains the most powerful emotional experience ever induced by a movie that I experienced.
I can't say that it hit me as hard as it did you, but I am certainly a fan. I've seen Totoro, Nausicaa, Kiki's Delivery Service, and now Mononoke, which Miyazaki do you suggest I go with next? I was thinking Porco Rosso.

Rio Bravo (Hawks, 1959)

The Marriage of Maria Braun (Fassbinder, 1979)

The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer, 2012)

The Lady From Shanghai (Welles, 1947)

Into the Abyss: A Tale of Death, A Tale of Life (Herzog, 2011)

World War Z (Forster, 2013)

An Autumn Afternoon (Ozu, 1962)

***** I remember:

The Internship (2013, Levy):

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done (2009, Herzog):
+
The Year of Living Dangerously (1982, Weir):

Heist (2001, Mamet):
+

And a revisiting of some of Soderbergh's work:

Out of Sight (1998):

The Informant (2009):

Ché: Part I:
+
Ché: Part II:

Full Frontal (2002):

Kafka (1991):
+
Traffic (2000):

Magic Mike (2012):

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Cannery Row (David S. Ward, 1982)

Mrs. Soffel (Gillian Armstrong, 1984)

The Sentinel (Michael Winner, 1977)

The Rock (Michael Bay, 1996)
-

Murder, My Sweet (Edward Dmytryk, 1944)

The Eye (David Moreau & Xavier Palud, 2008)

Are Animals Actors? (No Director Listed, 1945
-
The Hitcher (Robert Harmon, 1986)
-

Lady in the Lake (Robert Montgomery, 1947)
+
Mad Monster Party? (Jules Bass, 1967)

The Falcon in Hollywood (Gordon Douglas, 1944)

The Sea Hawk (Michael Curtiz, 1940)

The Reef (Andrew Traucki, 2010)

In the Shadows (Ric Roman Waugh, 2001)

Misery (Rob Reiner, 1990)
-
Cloud Atlas (Wachowski Sibs., Tom Tykwer, 2012)
+

Legend (Ridley Scott, 1985) Theatrical Release:
Director’s Cut:

Give a Girl a Break (Stanley Donen, 1953)

The Picasso Summer (Robert Sallin [& Serge Bourguignon], 1969)

Basic Instinct (Paul Verhoeven, 1992)
-

Nice to see Misery and Basic Instinct getting such high ratings from you.

I've seen Totoro, Nausicaa, Kiki's Delivery Service, and now Mononoke, which Miyazaki do you suggest I go with next? I was thinking Porco Rosso.
Pretty much. You can't go wrong with any of his movies from 1984 to 2004.

Les Miserables

Please, stop the songs, please... Though the film themes are very cool and stuff but the quality of the music was very poor. I don't generally like musicals very much but these songs were quite horrible. Sweeney Todd was much better (another relatively recent musical).

The Impossible

Very standard disaster survival movie. It truly tries to manipulate your emotions with mixed results.

The Spirit of the Beehive
+

A tale of cute Spanish speaking children and Frankenstein. Interesting how medieval like Spain still was in 1940. Indeed, it was the poorest major country in Western Europe at the time. The film is a study of childhood and remembered me of Fanny and Alexander in that regard.

Fanny and Alexander

Over 300 minutes of pure Bergman soap opera. I watched this on an extra large TV this time. One of the greatest TV series ever made. The heavy decoration in earth 20th century upper class European houses and apartments is also very impressive.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Argento's Deep Red was an eyecandy visually and an ultimate giallo camp stylistically.

The Piano Teacher
(2001) -

The Woman Who Powders Herself (1972; short) -

Deep Red (1975) -

The Seventh Continent (1989) -

Cemetery wthout Crosses (1969) -

Few of Us (1996) -

Playtime (1967) -

+
Danger 5 (TV series) -

Luther (TV series) -
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Les Miserables

Please, stop the songs, please... Though the film themes are very cool and stuff.
You did know this was a musical before you watched it, right? (Actually it's more of an opera than a musical, since there's virtually no spoken dialogue).

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't like musicals either but that rating seems rather unfair.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I agree with you, Guap on Spirit of the Beehive, but Les Mis is a musical.

I can see someone coming away from The Impossible with that critique, but I actually quite liked it. I thought the acting was really strong from the leads and Ewan McGregor surprised me with the amount of emotion he put into his role.

Les Miserables

Please, stop the songs, please...
**** else did you expect when you started watching it?

You did know this was a musical before you watched it, right? (Actually it's more of an opera than a musical, since there's virtually no spoken dialogue).

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't like musicals either but that rating seems rather unfair.
There are vastly better musicals (Sweeney Todd, for example). The songs were not good according to my tastes.

There are vastly better musicals (Sweeney Todd, for example). The songs were not good according to my tastes.

Agree to disagree. I hated Sweeney Todd but was pleasantly surprised by Les Mis.

And obviously the intention of your statement wasn't that clear.

I can see someone coming away from The Impossible with that critique, but I actually quite liked it. I thought the acting was really strong from the leads and Ewan McGregor surprised me with the amount of emotion he put into his role.
The acting was very good. However, I though that the whole plot and writing felt a bit too transparent for me. Thus, the film failed to be effective: instead of feeling anything I was thinking about the intentions of the writer/director.

Competent acting is a necessary but not sufficient condition for a good movie.