Movie Tab II

Tools    

[/center]

Watched it and I'd agree with your rating, have you ever watched the TV show Tom and Jerry? I used to watch it on TV all the time then I was a kid and loved them, King-Size Canary is basically just like an episode of Tom and Jerry, even the characters are almost identical to those from it.
Ya it was a major childhood time of mine, and I did love it. Haven't revisited it, nor did I see the similarities, but ya that does make sense. Maybe it's why I enjoyed it so much

First Blood -
+ A classic is always a classic. Stallone's best performance ever as a psychologically damaged Vietnam War veteran.
Stallone fit the bill, because like John Rambo, he's never been good at conveying emotions.

Ya it was a major childhood time of mine, and I did love it. Haven't revisited it, nor did I see the similarities, but ya that does make sense. Maybe it's why I enjoyed it so much
Well not only do you have Tom and Jerry as the cat and the canary, but also Butch the dog

I honestly don't remember Butch the dog. I do remember Jerry's extremely fast Mexican cousin or something, and the house owner who you'd never see the face of. I'm just starting to realize how weird the show is. I have some old VHS tapes of it, but no VHS player

I do remember Jerry's extremely fast Mexican cousin or something
You're mixing things up, my friend. You're talking about Looney Tunes' Speedy Gonzales. He's not related to Jerry, at all.

IGT
"mip mip" and he runs away!!!

last movie watched was schindlers list...

"what are they gonna do??shoot you!!!

You're mixing things up, my friend. You're talking about Looney Tunes' Speedy Gonzales. He's not related to Jerry, at all.

Ya you're right, I was thinking of this guy

Heavenly Creatures (Peter Jackson, 1994)
++
Brilliantly bold and imaginative, written and directed with infectious energy and passion, two excellent performances and a darkly hilarious sense of humour. Instant favourite.

Crumb (Terry Zwigoff, 1994)
-
The Mighty Ducks (Stephen Herek, 1992)

Heathers (Michael Lehmann, 1988)

Grizzly Man (Werner Herzog, 2005)

Talk to Her (Pedro Almodovar, 2002) Review in Trade-off Tab soon.

Chuck Jones shorts from the Ebert list:
Duck Amuck (1953)

One Froggy Evening (1955)

What's Opera, Doc? (1957)
-

I honestly don't remember Butch the dog. I do remember Jerry's extremely fast Mexican cousin or something, and the house owner who you'd never see the face of. I'm just starting to realize how weird the show is. I have some old VHS tapes of it, but no VHS player
Yeh, the huge black woman who would always screech 'Thomas!'

That, and the cartoon Scooby Doo was basically my childhood in terms of TV

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
You the Living

The Acid House

Wittgenstein

Three Colours: White

Three Colours: Red

Attack the Block

Robocop

Young Guns

Farewell My Concubine

Avengers Assemble

I don't usually include rewatches, but I watched Star Wars Episode II: Attack of The Clones again for the first time since I saw it in the cinema and it was even worse than I remember. Everything is cgi. Everything. There's only one good line in the whole film. (Naturally my six year old son thinks it's the best film of the saga, because it's got the most lightsaber fights. I'd give it credit for at least knowing its target audience except that even he got bored during the bits with Anakin and Padme frolicking through meadows.)
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

You should let him see Revenge of the Sith then. It has way more lightsaber fights than Attack of the Clones.
Although you might think he's too young, as it is a rather dark movie.

Chuck Jones shorts from the Ebert list:
Duck Amuck (1953)

One Froggy Evening (1955)

What's Opera, Doc? (1957)
-
The first and last of those are classic. Have you seen Hare Tonic, Water, Water Every Hare and The Rabbit of Seville? I would rank those and maybe How the Grinch Stole Christmas the highest of Chuck Jones' filmography.

I'm very curious about this one (I've never heard of it before), can you tell us a little more about it? What kind of stuff does it cover? Any other thoughts?

Also:

I don't usually include rewatches, but I watched Star Wars Episode II: Attack of The Clones again [...] There's only one good line in the whole film.
Let me guess: "Don't let this kiss become a scar on my heart."

Here's what I can remember:

Side Effects (2013, Soderbergh):

What a well-crafted, clever and entertaining thriller this is. Catches you almost completely unaware after a terrific build-up. Nice atmosphere setting, subdued camera work, excellent soundtrack, and really good main character development. It does take a while to get going, but the slow burn is totally worth it and very necessary as well for cohesion and overall satisfaction.

Soderbergh is a chameleon who has turned his hand to many genres and types of films and came out inventive and successful a lot more times than not. He's said that this will be his last film, because he's tired of the medium. He's made the same 'threat' a couple of years back, but stayed very busy since. I sincerely hope he keeps going, because he's one of the most versatile directors of the past 20-30 years.

Other stuff I've watched with varying degrees of interest:

Amarcord (1973, Fellini):
+
Underworld U.S.A (1961, Fuller):

He's Just Not That Into You (2009, Kwapis):

Lola (1961, Demy):
+
Broken City (2013, Hughes):
+
Bellissima (1952, Visconti):
+
Gangster Squad (2013, Felischer):

Firecreek (1968, McEveety):

There are definite shades of Henry Fonda's turn of Frank in Leone's Once Upon A Time in the West in this film.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
You should let him see Revenge of the Sith then. It has way more lightsaber fights than Attack of the Clones.
Although you might think he's too young, as it is a rather dark movie.
I do think he's too young, it's a 12 rated movie so he'll have to wait a few years.

I'm very curious about this one (I've never heard of it before), can you tell us a little more about it? What kind of stuff does it cover? Any other thoughts?
Wittgenstein was... not your average movie (despite the average rating I gave it). It covers aspects of the life of the philosopher Wittgenstein. A martian shows up and has conversations with Wittgenstein. It's all very theatrical, like watching a play rather than a movie, visually very basic and lacking in background both in terms of the sets and the context. At only 75 mins long, it's worth a look, but if you haven't seen any Jarman films before I'd recommend Caravaggio over this.

Also:Let me guess: "Don't let this kiss become a scar on my heart."
Actually I thought, "If you follow your thoughts to their conclusion it will lead us to a place we cannot go" was the best example of snappy, believable dialogue...

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Nastassja Kin(s)ki

Fear Eats the Soul -

Paris, Texas -

5 Centimeters per Second -

The Mercenary (Corbucci western) -

Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears -

Garden of Sinners (anime TV series) -

Death Rides a Horse -

Starship Troopers (1997) by Paul Verhoeven

Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell (1968) by Hajime Sato

Rated X (2000) by Emilio Estevez
+

Life, and Nothing More... (1991) by Abbas Kiarostami
+

Two Solutions for One Problem (1975) by Abbas Kiarostami
+

Xtro (1982) by Harry Bromley Davenport
+

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) by Philip Kaufman

Goodfellas (1990) by Martin Scorsese

Blue Valentine (2010) - I like realistic films but sometimes I feel uncomfortable when the film I watch is just too realistic.This one is no exception and sometimes I feel that I watch movies in order to detach myself from reality,not to see it on screen.This drama is good modern romance movie but it isn't very much my type.One thing I really loved about it,is that it is so modern and yet it has so much depth.

Punch-Drunk Love (2002) - I was bored by this film and it basically has everything that I don't like in films.It seems too sentimental,too bizarre and I failed to connect with the characters.Although it's not a long film,I felt like it went for hours.It's not a bad film,it's just more a matter of taste.

Thelma & Louise (1991) - nice,interesting and adventurous film.Honestly,I liked it more the first time I saw it but enjoyed it now nonetheless.

Blow Out (1981) - I strongly preferred the first half of the film and towards the end I felt like it is dragging a bit.

Alien (1979) - I just enjoy that feeling when I watch a critically acclaimed film for the first time and I can easily see why it is praised.Loved everything about this sci-fi horror classic - the predictable yet entertaining characters,the great visuals,dark atmosphere,the alien itself and most importantly - the suspense which just couldn't let me be bored.I haven't seen Blade Runner in ages but I would say now,that Alien is the peak of Ridley Scott.

Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead Trilogy (1981 - 1992) - I can really understand why these films are liked by many people but,for me,it was just too cheesy. I liked the first part the most but overall those films were just over the edge most of the times.

Aliens (1986) - very very good sequel considering that even a different director made it but since I'm not a big fan of action sequences I didn't like it as much as the first film.The beginning was awesome,maybe just the characters were too cliche (reminded me of Avatar actually) but I felt that it got slightly worse towards the end.I think actions fans should prefer this one to the original.

In the Beginning...
Alien (1979) - I just enjoy that feeling when I watch a critically acclaimed film for the first time and I can easily see why it is praised.Loved everything about this sci-fi horror classic - the predictable yet entertaining characters,the great visuals,dark atmosphere,the alien itself and most importantly - the suspense which just couldn't let me be bored.I haven't seen Blade Runner in ages but I would say now,that Alien is the peak of Ridley Scott.
I watched this the other night too. Last time I saw it was probably 20 years ago, when I was about 9 years old... so basically too young to watch it without getting freaked the hell out, much less appreciate it as a work of cinema.

Now that I'm older and smarter, though, Alien surprised me. It's definitely a great film, a legitimate game-changer in science fiction/horror and visual effects. But I was struck by how inconsistent and occasionally problematic the camera work and editing were. It's clear Ridley had a great eye for cinematic storytelling, but was still learning how to technically execute.

I do really like how fluid the dialogue and character interactions were, though. It's almost like he gave the actors a bit of freedom to improvise their roles because he wanted them to feel real and not too superficially well-defined. And of course, the decision to use H.R. Giger's work as the focus for the alien ship and creature was absolutely right. The film's art direction, dated though it is, is still pretty flawless.

Hustle and Flow (Craig Brewer, 2005)

I'd avoided this movie for years (the story of a pimp trying to be a rapper? No thank you!) but decided to give it a shot after a recent rewatch of Brewer's Black Snake Moan (If you haven't watched Black Snake Moan, you need to). I get what the movie was trying to do - tell the story of a man in lowly circumstances try to redeem himself through his art - but I just couldn't find anything to like here.

-