Oscar's Best Actress (2006)

Tools    

Who will win Oscar's Best Actress (2006)?
0%
0 votes
Judi Dench, Mrs. Henderson Presents
36.84%
7 votes
Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
15.79%
3 votes
Keira Knightley, Pride & Prejudice
0%
0 votes
Charlize Theron, North Country
47.37%
9 votes
Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line
19 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The Nominees

Dame Judi Dench as Laura Henderson, Mrs. Henderson Presents

Felicity Huffman as Bree, Transamerica

Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennett, Pride & Prejudice

Charlize Theron as Josey Aimes, North Country

Reese Witherspoon as June Carter, Walk the Line

You may not have seen all five of the films, but vote for who you think will win Best Actress at the 78th Annual Academy Awards. Or vote for who you wish would win, even though you suspect it'll go to somebody else. Let's discuss the Academy's choices, whether you agree with them or not.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Lets put a smile on that block
Keira Knightley??!! I am shocked and appalled. This woman can act as much as i can give birth. And thats only a teensy bit.

I've seen two, North Country and Walk the Line. I don't see Theron winning. She was good but it was no Monster. Witherspoon has a better chance but Joaquin was superb and he's going to lose to Hoffman.

Dench looks wonderful in the clips I've seen of Mrs Henderson. She may get it for the age factor (and talent as well.)

Knightley, no chance. She'll have to prove herself again to be considered.

Huffman, the likely winner. A terrific actress in a demanding role. And she can go "neener neener" to the other desperate housewives.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Two former Oscar winners in this group: Dench and Theron. While she was an acknowledged talent in the UK since the '80s, America didn't really notice Judi Dench until the later 1990s. But once the Academy did start honoring her, they haven't stopped since. This is already Dame Judi's fifth nomination, all in the last eight years. She has two other Best Actress nods, for Mrs. Brown and Iris, and two as Supporting Actress, with Shakespeare in Love and Chocolat. Her lone win came in Shakespeare, which is one of Oscar's shortest performances to be honored - she's on screen for all of about eight total minutes as Queen Elizabeth. I haven't seen Mrs. Henderson Presents, but only because it hasn't opened here yet. But judging from the kind of momentum the other nominees have, it doesn't look like Judi has much of a chance of winning this Oscar night. No worries, as clearly the Oscar voters like her an awful lot and she'll be back again.

Charlize Theron just won two years ago for her transformative performance in Monster. Her work in North Country is certainly not that same level of acting. I can't see them bestowing another statue to her already, and really I'm a bit surprised she was even nominated. But it goes to show how few good lead roles there are for women each year...or at least how small the field is that they draw from for nominations. I thought there were lots of more extremely worthy performances to choose from, I guess the Academy voters just didn't see enough of them: Maria Bello in A History of Violence, Miranda July in Me and You and Everyone We Know, Joan Allen in Yes, Patricia Clarkson in The Dying Gaul, Claire Danes in Shopgirl...they were all great. And so was Gwyneth Paltrow in Proof, easily a much more impressive performances than Shakespeare in Love, who somehow got lost in the shuffle this year. But hey, let's give the nod to Charlize. I guess. Doesn't matter, as she's not going to win anyway.

Keira Knightley's slightly suprising nomination, coupled with last year's supporting nod for Natalie Portman, tells you who the Academy has pegged as the most promising actresses of the under twenty-five set. She's not going to hear her name called to the stage this year, but for a nineteen-year-old who came out of nowhere a few years ago in Bend it Like Beckham and Pirates of the Caribbean this is a pretty cool ride to be on. But I have a better chance of winning Best Actress this year.

It is definitely a two-woman race.

Reese and Felicity, both first-time nominees, have split or shared just about every major award leading up to the Oscars. The 29-year-old Witherspoon has been acting in movies for about fifteen years now. She might have been nominated in years past for Election or Freeway, but her performance as June Carter Cash is definitely the highlight of her career thus far, and from learning how to sing (which she did very well in the movie) to matching the intensity of Jaoquin Phoenix on screen, she definitely deserves the nomination and to be in the running to actually win it. Fans of Walk the Line will feel it was a bit snubbed by not garnering noms for Picture, Director or Screenplay, and since Philip Seymour Hoffman is such a clear favorite against Phoenix if the voters want to reward the movie come Oscar night, Reese would be the way to do it.

Felicity Huffman is forty-three, with most of her best work before this year coming on television (I fell madly in love with her and her talent on the brilliant but short-lived "Sports Night"). Transamerica is her first leading role, but it is a stunning performance. Playing a man who is one operation short of making the full transformation into a woman, it's a role that could have easily been overwhelemed by histrionics and prosthetics. After the initial shock of the opening scene of how different this beautiful woman looks as the character, you hardly notice again for the entire film that Felicity is acting, or doubt that this person was born a man. You can draw a comparison to Hilary Swank's Oscar-winning performance in Boys Don't Cry, the kind of believeability she brings to the difficult role. It's very impressive work, on a techinical level and an emotional one, and Felicity pulls it off perfectly.

As much as Reese is beloved and as great as she was as June Carter, I think the Oscar voters are going to look at the two women and give the slight edge to Huffman. The work is great, plus Witherspoon will be back as a nominee another year. She's not yet thirty, and she already has a proven track record as a box office draw in comedies, so she's going to continue to work and get better roles because of Walk the Line. As great a job as Felicity does in Transamerica and as successful as "Desperate Housewives" is, who knows the next time she may get another showcase role in a feature film again? And don't forget, the Academy is made up of a whole bunch of actors and actresses who work in television and dream of getting their big break in film. For many it never comes, so when they do have an opportunity to reward one of their own, they take it. And Felicity is married to one of the most respected actors in town in William H. Macy, another element that tips the scales in her favor since the only thing the voters like more than seeing the joyous recipient on stage is seeing their famous spouse in happy tears in the audience. It's all going to factor in to Felicity Huffman's name being called on Oscar night.

Holden is probably right... but Reese got my "wish vote"... she was awesome in Walk the Line ....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I'd rather see Witherspoon win it than Huffman. Mainly because that movie was made basically to get awards. Probably four people in the whole country will see that movie, and three of them are seeing it now, not last year.

District B13
I have not seen a single one of these movies. I've wanted too, but I just haven't seen them.

In any event, I'm abstaining from voting but I think we all know it will be a Huffman/Witherspoon victory.

I loved Keira Knightley in Pride & Prejudice. I think she made the whole movie. Her performance was just stunning in an avergage movie. Reese Witherspoon will most likely take home the Oscar for Walk The Line which was also a brilliant performance.

I'm sure the Oscar will go to Keira Knightley as her film is derived from a more traditonal work. Also Pride and Prejudice was quite a captivating film.

Originally Posted by ecardica
I'm sure the Oscar will go to Keira Knightley as her film is derived from a more traditonal work. Also Pride and Prejudice was quite a captivating film.
Really? How sure? Wanna make a bet?

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Keira Knightley??!! I am shocked and appalled. This woman can act as much as i can give birth. And thats only a teensy bit.
Too funny.

I'm going with Charlize Theron even though I have watched none of these flicks.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike

Felicity Huffman as Bree, Transamerica

I voted for Reese Witherspoon she did a great portrayal of June Carter Cash. And her singing was great to.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I've only seen Pride and Prejudice. And the other performances would have to be really bad not to beat Keira's. She's pretty, but she's not a great actress...at least, not on current form.

Put me in your pocket...
I basically like Keira Knightly...but I'm still shaking my head as to why she was nominated. She was ok in Pride and Prejudice...but as I said in another thread...she didn't win me over like Jennifer Ehle did in the 1995 mini-series.

I dunno...after seeing Gwyneth Paltrow in Proof...I'm wondering why she was passed over for Keira's performance.

Here to support the villians.......
Witherspoon should win it, Huffman will be her most likely candidate but I can see Reese picking it up from what I have heard she was wonderful in Walk the line.