Would I Like This Movie?

Tools    

Ive never seen Brokeback Mountain. Like the actors, and the director is pretty solid. Just figured being creeped out by 2 guys tonguing and rutting each other would hold much appeal. Is the movie mostly that? Is there a good story or smart dialogue? I did enjoy Love and Death in Long Island, and Boys Dont Cry, so its not a gay thing. Is the movie just about 2 guys intimacy or is it a more well rounded story?

This might just do nobody any good.
It's a pretty beautiful movie. Much more about lost opportunities and facing uncertainty that "2 guys tonguing and rutting".

It's actually surprising. None of the parodies or endless jokes about "the gay cowboy movie" factored into my first viewing of it.

And for what it's worth, it has Ledger's best performance. (suck it, Dark Knight)

Ive never seen Brokeback Mountain. Like the actors, and the director is pretty solid. Just figured being creeped out by 2 guys tonguing and rutting each other would hold much appeal. Is the movie mostly that? Is there a good story or smart dialogue? I did enjoy Love and Death in Long Island, and Boys Dont Cry, so its not a gay thing. Is the movie just about 2 guys intimacy or is it a more well rounded story?
Good question, Tongo.

It does have a rounded story. I just had a hard time with the idea that, if a guy isn't gay, yet had feelings of closeness & love for another guy, he would give in to sex so easily. It would just be a matter of discipline. Being in love with someone doesn't automatically equal sex. I had male friends that I truly "loved", yet sex never drew into it. I had female friends I fell in love with where sex never drew into it (for various reasons - maybe they were already attached, etc.)

Now, I could see maybe in a situation of imprisonment or being marooned on a deserted island, where maybe even apparently straight guys who realize their odds of ever reconnecting with the outside world again (or maybe even surviving beyond a couple years) are extremely slim, they might turn to homosexuality just as a form of contact.

But married guys away from their wives on a summer job?

I don't want to give away spoilers but a big question in the movie is...
WARNING: "Spoil this!" spoilers below
Are these guys gay? They claim they're not - this is just a case of two soul mates meeting and falling in love... but of course the only way to express it is via anal sex, because apparently true love can only ever be expressed through some sort of sex. The question, I guess is left up to the audience. But IMO, these guys were both closeted homosexuals living out facade lives - which is what made them so unhappy that they had to sodomize the first guy they're left alone with for any length of time.

Ive never seen Brokeback Mountain. Like the actors, and the director is pretty solid. Just figured being creeped out by 2 guys tonguing and rutting each other would hold much appeal.
Sure, if you like getting creeped out by gay guys making love, go for it.

Sure, if you like getting creeped out by gay guys making love, go for it.
Sexy, I can't look at THIS thread, and your latest avatar, and the look on Jake's face, and the position he's in... without imagining that poor Heath is behind him and they've finally gotten away on that holiday "fishing trip"!

It's a pretty beautiful movie. Much more about lost opportunities and facing uncertainty that "2 guys tonguing and rutting".

It's actually surprising. None of the parodies or endless jokes about "the gay cowboy movie" factored into my first viewing of it.

And for what it's worth, it has Ledger's best performance. (suck it, Dark Knight)
Cool. Thats definitely a yes vote, and understanding what I meant.

Good question, Tongo.

It does have a rounded story. I just had a hard time with the idea that, if a guy isn't gay, yet had feelings of closeness & love for another guy, he would give in to sex so easily. It would just be a matter of discipline. Being in love with someone doesn't automatically equal sex. I had male friends that I truly "loved", yet sex never drew into it. I had female friends I fell in love with where sex never drew into it (for various reasons - maybe they were already attached, etc.)

Now, I could see maybe in a situation of imprisonment or being marooned on a deserted island, where maybe even apparently straight guys who realize their odds of ever reconnecting with the outside world again (or maybe even surviving beyond a couple years) are extremely slim, they might turn to homosexuality just as a form of contact.

I don't want to give away spoilers but a big question in the movie is...
I didnt read the spoilers. Ok Steel, I know you dont sleep with your male friends unless maybe theres a deserted island situation, but do you think I should see the movie? You gotta ask what that "maybe" entails? If your stuck on an isle with Justin Bieber, are you all up in that, or if its Charles Durning, mmm, not so much?! jk

Cool. Thats definitely a yes vote, and understanding what I meant.

I didnt read the spoilers. Ok Steel, I know you dont sleep with your male friends unless maybe theres a deserted island situation, but do you think I should see the movie? You gotta ask what that "maybe" entails? If your stuck on an isle with Justin Bieber, are you all up in that, or if its Charles Durning, mmm, not so much?! jk
As Gary Johnson might say (after being told what Allepo is...)
Yes, okay, got it.

It's an engaging you movie. It's drama. Once starting, you'll probably want to see how it turns out.

But it is a downer. In fact, I found it a very depressing movie. So make sure you're not in the mood to be uplifted. It's not like a pro-gay rights movie that will leave you cheering for the victimized gay fellow who finally sticks it to the man or anything like that. (Men get it sticked to them, but not in that way.)

Pluses: you get to see a pre-break down Randy Quaid!

As Gary Johnson might say (after being told what Aleepo is...)
Yes, okay, got it.

It's an engaging you movie. It's drama. Once starting, you'll probably want to see how it turns out.

But it is a downer. In fact, I found it a very depressing movie. So make sure you're not in the mood to be uplifted. It's not like a pro-gay rights movie that will leave you cheering for the victimized gay fellow who finally sticks it to the man or anything like that. (Men get it sticked to them, but not in that way.)

Pluses: you get to see a pre-break down Randy Quaid!
Ah, ok. Yeah I wasnt a fan of The Ice Storm. If it leaves you feeling like that, then Ill pass.

If your stuck on an isle with Justin Bieber, are you all up in that, or if its Charles Durning, mmm, not so much?! jk
Sorry to always have a story attached, but I swear they're all true.

Several years back I was on line in a bookstore with a friend. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a magazine cover with such a demure, nubile and alluring looking face on it immediately said, "Look at that cute girl on that magazine."

Then I squinted to study it further and found that it was a photo of Justin Bieber. So I said, "Oh my, that's no girl, it's Justin Bieber." With that, a girl in line behind me started cracking up! In between laughs she said, "He is cute though!"

So... yeah, maybe Bieber (although I hear that no one could resist a good hug from Charles Durning)!

TONGO, you hate me so much, you have me on Ignore User, you go around telling everybody that, yet you're suddenly in the mood to watch Brokeback Mountain?

I just had a hard time with the idea that, if a guy isn't gay, yet had feelings of closeness & love for another guy, he would give in to sex so easily...

Because apparently sexuality is totally black and white. You're either straight or gay and there's nothing in between. Also being married to a person of the opposite sex means you're hetero and there's no such thing as a beard. Right.

We're talking about a movie set in Wyoming in the 1960s. They may claim to be straight, but it's clear that Jack definitely isn't since he seeks sex from other men as well. Ennis's sexuality is a little more complicated but it seems natural to me to want to engage in sex with someone with whom you've fallen in love.

In any case there isn't a whole lot of actual sex in the film, or nudity for that matter. There's a pretty far away shot of the two men jumping naked into water and a pretty close up shot of a topless Anne Hathaway, but I don't remember any other scenes. You'll find more graphic homosexual sex scenes in Game of Thrones than you will in Brokeback Mountain.

Because apparently sexuality is totally black and white. You're either straight or gay and there's nothing in between. Also being married to a person of the opposite sex means you're hetero and there's no such thing as a beard. Right.

We're talking about a movie set in Wyoming in the 1960s. They may claim to be straight, but it's clear that Jack definitely isn't since he seeks sex from other men as well. Ennis's sexuality is a little more complicated but it seems natural to me to want to engage in sex with someone with whom you've fallen in love.

In any case there isn't a whole lot of actual sex in the film, or nudity for that matter. There's a pretty far away shot of the two men jumping naked into water and a pretty close up shot of a topless Anne Hathaway, but I don't remember any other scenes. You'll find more graphic homosexual sex scenes in Game of Thrones than you will in Brokeback Mountain.
Thank you MV, that helps clear the clutter what I thought to expect. Im more put off from seeing it now because its supposed to be a "downer" rather than it being a gay love story. Oh, I liked The Birdcage too. Never saw Xena Warrior Princess though.

I think the reason this movie sticks in my memory is because of Heath Ledger. Its not like Ill see him in anything else now, so I was curious.

Im more put off from seeing it now because its supposed to be a "downer" rather than it being a gay love story.
You can't handle the fact that
WARNING: "Brokeback Mountain" spoilers below
Jake Gyllenhaal dies?

Originally Posted by TONGO
Oh, I liked The Birdcage too. Never saw Xena Warrior Princess though.
?????? Xena -- you're thinking it's a lesbian movie? Not sure how Xena: Warrior Princess gets connected to The Birdcage.

Originally Posted by TONGO
I think the reason this movie sticks in my memory is because of Heath Ledger. Its not like Ill see him in anything else now, so I was curious.
So it saddens you to see Heath Ledger, knowing he's dead?

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
I thought the movie was a beautiful, well-told story. Acting is phenomenal. Jake and Heath are two of my favorites.

My only concern with it is that it might cause guys (or girls for that matter) who have a close friendship to question whether they're actually homosexual, even though sex had nothing to do with their relationship prior to seeing it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Michelle Williams is also topless. The cinematography and music are aces too. It's moving if a bit slow at times.

Did you read my spoilers, Vicky? I basically agree with you, but didn't want to publicly express my opinion on the movie's key question for those who haven't seen it yet.

The characters are obviously not straight, maybe bi, but not straight. The lesson is you'll never be happy as long as you try to pretend you're something you're not.

I'm glad for this thread because I've wanted to discuss this film since I've seen it - which was only last year.

Honestly, this isn't even one of the better Jake Gyllenhaal movies to me - Brokeback Mountain.

I do like it, but in terms of Jake Gyllenhaal, not his best movie. This is more of a Heath Ledger movie.

Did you read my spoilers, Vicky?
Yes, I read your homophobic "spoilers."

two soul mates meeting and falling in love... but of course the only way to express it is via anal sex, because apparently true love can only ever be expressed through some sort of sex... which is what made them so unhappy that they had to sodomize the first guy they're left alone with for any length of time.
Again, it's clear that Jack is gay and that Ennis is not the first man he's been with. Also, again, you have to consider the setting of the film. Wyoming, 1960s. Jack knows what he is but is actively hiding it because being out would've been dangerous. Ennis probably doesn't know, but it's clear that he's a very repressed individual emotionally, which would suggest sexual repression as well. The two men find themselves alone in a secluded area and, after spending quite awhile together, they grow close and things start to happen. It seems like a pretty natural progression of events to me. It's not like they got up on the mountain, yelled "Woo-hoo, we're free! Bend over boy!" and started going at it.

Maybe you don't always feel the need to have sex to express love to someone, but love and sex are something that are intertwined for many people and the movie's not about you.