Why are modern movies still good but modern pop music not?

Tools    

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i don't see why the ability to play instruments should be where the line is drawn on who has 'real' talent - what about Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey to name a few? these are all huge examples of huge talents who have had enormous influence on pop music. none of them play any instruments, but they were performers with huge sets and dance routines, much like Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Katy Perry, or Taylor Swift, really. and regardless of whether or not auto tunes was used in older music, i think basically everyone knows that studio albums are often smoothed over and edited when need be. which is why sometimes people complain about seeing a live performance vs. listening to the album at home. how is that really any different?

listening to a song you like on YouTube is kinda similar to when people used to mainly listen to all the popular songs that came on the radio - it was a jumping off point to hear the most popular songs that were being played over and over again. do you really think that if someone is a fan of Nicki Minaj and Anaconda, they really never will bother to check out her other music? that's just silly. kids today are just as into listening to music and exploring their favorite artists as they were back in the 60s or whatever. i don't see why technology would change that. i know that when i find a song i really like by someone, one of the first things i do is check out their other stuff. i don't think you're giving people enough credit here.
i'm quoting myself here because you conveniently didn't respond to it, 90sAce. shall i assume you've changed your stance and are in agreement with me then?

One of the lesser known bands was "Crumbland" .. they opened for "Disturbed".. in Finland.

Edit: another band that isnt popular at all here in the US.. I would say less than 1% actually know of them... and I learned of them from a German friend at a Finnish band's forum

They are a mix of old time cinema music with rock lyrics.
Most great music always was from European countries. This hasn't changed so far.

Music is a lot like cartoons. The ones from when you were between 7-14 are the best ever, the ones from before you were born are the overrated ones, and the ones from after you turned 21 are terrible.
As a hardcore fan of both music and cartoons I would say that about 90% of my favorite music is from before I was 7 and most of my favorite cartoons are from either after I was 14 or before I was 7.

Though I guess what you say is mostly true for more casual listeners of music or watchers of cartoons.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
This whole thread is based on the lie that modern movies are still good.
I'm seriously about to start reading everything you say when you talk about films in Eeyore's voice.

i'm quoting myself here because you conveniently didn't respond to it, 90sAce. shall i assume you've changed your stance and are in agreement with me then?

Nah I'm saying that I feel there's an over-abundance of medicore music on the airwaves today, not that talented artists don't exist.

I think it's easier today for artists with less talent to get noticed via the internet, and the advent of digital downloads means that music is being produced in greater abundance with a younger demographic as the primary target audience, hence it's becoming more commercialized and about "selling catchy singles" than about talent - since a 13 year old with Itunes isn't very hard to please.

Here's another doozie.

90 lb hipster chick trying to act "gangsta" - I seriously thought this was a joke at first but apparently it's for real - this makes Vanilla Ice look badass in comparison.

A few atrocious songs (that shouldn't have become popular anways,I call it the Yotube effect) like the one above shouldn't be the reason why mainstream music should be heavily critcized. Yes, music 2010 onward sort of sucks compared to the earlier decades in my opinion, but that's just my case, because I prefer prog rock/jazz and right now the music trend is not focused on the two. Art is subjective and will always be that way.
That song is bad, yeah I agree - lol

But that was actually an indie track which just happened to go viral on Youtube; what sucks is that we have mult-million dollar record companies producing tracks just as bad or worse than this, and managing to sell millions of downloads on Itunes nonetheless

The decline of American music market:

And note that it's not corrected for inflation and for the increasing population of the US: revenues of the music market declined from 17 billion in 2013 dollars to 6.4 billion. Since population increased by more than 10% per capita expenditures on music collapsed by like 70%.

The same decline occurred all across the world thanks to internet downloading. Though in Japan the decline was smaller than in the US, still significant.

As result since the year 2000 there was a decline of the "super artist" that means those super famous bands who sell hundreds of millions of albums are not emerging anymore: So bands like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and Pink Floyd which sold over 200 million records are not appearing anymore. Who is the biggest music icon of the West of recent years? Taylor Swift, how many records she sold? 40 million. That's nothing!

The decline of American music market:

And note that it's not corrected for inflation and for the increasing population of the US: revenues of the music market declined from 17 billion in 2013 dollars to 6.4 billion. Since population increased by more than 10% per capita expenditures on music collapsed by like 70%.

The same decline occurred all across the world thanks to internet downloading. Though in Japan the decline was smaller than in the US, still significant.

As result since the year 2000 there was a decline of the "super artist" that means those super famous bands who sell hundreds of millions of albums are not emerging anymore: So bands like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and Pink Floyd which sold over 200 million records are not appearing anymore. Who is the biggest music icon of the West of recent years? Taylor Swift, how many records she sold? 40 million. That's nothing!
And what has she put out other than 100 different singles about her ex-boyfriends?

Welcome to the human race...
And what has she put out other than 100 different singles about her ex-boyfriends?
Every major single off 1989? "Blank Space" in particular is supposed to criticise the media and people who stereotype her as "the woman who sings about all her exes".

Every major single off 1989? "Blank Space" in particular is supposed to criticise the media and people who stereotype her as "the woman who sings about all her exes".
Didn't think you were a Swift fan - thought you were more of a Buddy Holly type.

i honestly think that if some folks had been born in the 70s they'd be saying disco is the "best music ever" and that "only old people" disagree

This is for you 90'sAce.

Thing is I "grew up" with the same styles of music as everyone else listened to - but when I discovered the "older stuff" I enjoyed it more.

So it's not just bias toward "what I grew up with" - I really prefer a lot of the styles (especially rock) of the 80s, 70s, to the styles which became popular starting in the 90s and on into the 2000s and beyond.

I actually agree with 90's Ace that it's true mainstream British-American music has declined. It's actually a consensus among many people and economic evidence supports that hypothesis: Per capita expenditures on music in the US was around 40-60 dollars from 1970 up to 2000, after 2000 it collapsed from 60 dollars to 20 dollars. As a result major rock/pop groups emerged in smaller quantities after 2000.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
You're not suggesting that this is a reason though, are you? Because the number of movies made per year by Hollywood is continually dropping as well. There's a splintering of markets right now, between TV, Movies, Music, and hugely the Internet.