Disney Buys Marvel for $4 Billion

Tools    

Semper Fooey
I don't know if this is good for the publishing end, but I think Disney will make good movies. Fortunately, Micheal Eisner, the control freak, is no longer there to screw things up.

Seeing as how by the time they fully obtain the film rights, they will already have been pounded into the ground like a railroad spike, I have a feeling the television end is where we'll see the Marvel/Disney team up manifest itself.

...uh the post is up there...

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I am an old school comic fan, and although there are a few (very few) modern days books that are alright the comic book world for me took a nose dive back in the mid to late 90's. I already hate how Marvel has ran their company for the last decade or so, so I guess it can only get better right? I have enjoyed many of the movies however, so I hope that recipe does not get wrenched up.
That sucks man, I love Modern Age comics right now. Have you checked out Alex Ross' stuff? I hear that's some major nostalgic stuff for guys like you.

That sucks man, I love Modern Age comics right now. Have you checked out Alex Ross' stuff? I hear that's some major nostalgic stuff for guys like you.
Well there certainly are a few bright spots and I agree that his stuff is pretty good. But overall I just cannot get into it like I used to, and is is not for lack of wanting or trying too.

Well there certainly are a few bright spots and I agree that his stuff is pretty good. But overall I just cannot get into it like I used to, and is is not for lack of wanting or trying too.
Yeah, I know what you mean, that's why I travel off the beaten path from the big two a lot. Marvel's pretty good and so is DC, I read some of them but if you want originality read IMAGE Comics (I swear they don't pay me,) they've got a way better good to crap ratio of comics.

there's a frog in my snake oil
They're shopping this about over at b3ta. [Shield your eyes if you don't like swearing & a tendency to scrawl badly drawn pink penises on every other pic]

Some of 'em are brimming with wholesome family goodness tho

I wonder if Marvel being a prominent part of Universal Studios Islands Of Adventure theme park Orlando, FL will be affected? Universal is Disneys #1 competition in florida, and Universal has always made it known they want the top spot.

I used to collect comics, and Marvel has been a mess since they went public. Theyre business policies were fueled on focus towards quarterly returns, and creatively stagnant. Publicly owned Marvel about put an end to comic collecting, and especially the small business comic book stores by distributing their own books. This made the small store owner have to buy from 2 distributers - Marvel and Diamond who distribute DC and independents like Image. The strategy backfired, but they never corrected it. Say what you will about Disney but I think theyre incapable of running a business as bad as Marvel has their own. This is gonna be a good thing for Marvel.

The strategy backfired, but they never corrected it. Say what you will about Disney but I think theyre incapable of running a business as bad as Marvel has their own. This is gonna be a good thing for Marvel.
I think so too, but wil it be good for Disney?

I think so too, but wil it be good for Disney?
Actually I think it will. Disney knows how to put on a production be it whatever venue theme parks, restaurants, hotels, marketing. movies, and on and on. Their track record indicates they would (IF the Disney creative department has any say whatsoever of Marvels direction) probably have more of a handle of what the fans want more than Marvel. Basically Im saying Disney could handle Marvels characters better than Marvel. The Marvel universe is still the #1 potential money draw in all of comics. If Disney spends 4 billion in this economy then they have a plan, and theyre proven winners.

Banned from Hollywood.
so Disney buys Marvel..other than for moneymaking reasons i really dont see what the point is in this one, as both companies have totally opposite philosophies and characters...

I think I've said this before but just think about it, Disney appeals a lot to little girls, with the whole princess and magical aspect of Disney. They don't appeal much to teenagers or guys a lot. This is just them buying their way into that demographic.