War of the Worlds
-
Munich
+
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
-
The Adventures of Tintin

I am the Watcher in the Night
I've never made a list of the best director's out there but if I did Mr Spielberg would feature pretty damn high. His ability to direct big, loud, Hollywood style blockbusters with heart and great characters is second to none (sorry Peter Jackson).

His also made some "smaller" movies which are as good if not better, namely Schindler's List and the highly underrated Munich.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Spielberg has made one masterpiece. Schindler's List.

He has, but it's Jaws, not Schindler's List. Having said that, E.T. is about as good as you get for the type of film it is. So, maybe, that should be considered, too?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
E.T. is pretty good but not even close to Schindler's List. Not even considering Jaws. A good movie but nothing else.

I saw The Color Purple yesterday and I was surprised at how remarkably well made it was. It's truly an inspiringly beautiful film to look at.
Despite a lack of subtlety during a few moments (in my opinion), I was constantly engaged with what was happening on the screen. I thought the ending was particularly great and resonating, even though it's fairly standard content-wise.

Albert's final send-off truly touched me. It made me wish that Spielberg had made more classic (John Ford-style) western films. I think his remarkable talent to capture strong emotions simply through imagery would've worked great in that genre. This film's fantastic feeling for old-fashioned imagery certainly proved that for me. It's a great pleasure to watch.

Spielberg is my favorite director of all time. Jurassic Park is the single greatest film I've ever seen, the technological aspect alone is amazing but that movie is also really near and dear to my heart. Saving Private Ryan is fantastic as well those are my two favorites of his.

then you got stuff like
Schindler's List
Jaws
Indiana Jones
ET
Catch Me If You Can

And I even liked War Horse and War of the Worlds, there's so many I could name but those are just my personal favorites.

A.I. is probably the only film by him I've seen that I don't like. I really hope Bridge of Spies is really good with him and Tom Hank.

I really like Spielberg, even if he hasn't made a great film in a decade. I've always respected how varied his work is. 2010s Spielberg rests on laurels way too much for me. He doesn't challenge himself or innovate, but the fact that Steven Spielberg is making a period drama is enough to get a pass from most people.

After Raiders of the Lost Ark and Schindler's List, I've found Stephen Spielberg to be rather overrated, actually. The first half of Jaws is not a good movie, as a for instance. And even when they get out to sea, it's rather uneven. The pirate theme in the soundtrack is a good case in point. Where there should be a heightened sense of danger, the soundtrack suddenly decides its scoring another movie. Close Encounters and E.T. relied on emotional manipulation, rather than good storytelling. The Indiana Jones sequels have all been pretty bad, actually. I don't want to knock the man, really, because I love Raiders so damned much. It's got its problems, but they're not many, or overpowering. One being that the Nazi's could be taken out of the film, entirely, without too much having changed in the story. They're rather superfluous, really. But their being there doesn't hurt the story, in any way, and it adds to the texture, the flavor, of the period.

Is he, in your opinion, the best director of all time? Though I want to say yes pointing to a certain genre perhaps, but not the best "director" of all time for pure films.

What do you all think ?
No. Not the best overall. But he is certainly one of the very best. He ventured into many genres. He's maybe the most versatile, maybe only behind Kubrick, imho. I think he's also very intelligent, especially when it comes to how to make a film that's both criticaly and financialy successful. I think the only flop was 1941, but I love that one too.

There is no denying Spielberg's talent as a director and there is also no denying his talent as a cinematic storyteller, but is he a director I blindly follow, see every film he makes because he directed it? No, directors for me in that category would be Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese, Tarantino, and the late Sidney Lumet.

This might just do nobody any good.
Decided to post this instead of starting a new thread:

Spielberg's "The Post" Gets New Cast Members.

This thing sounds amazing.

The film centers on the Washington Post’s decision to publish the classified Pentagon Papers in 1971.
Stars Tom Hanks as Ben Bradlee and Meryl Streep as Kay Graham, so start crossing out names for your Oscar predictions.

New cast members:

Sarah Paulson
Bob Odenkirk
David Cross (yes, a Mr. Show reunion in a political drama)
Matthew Rhys
Bradley Whitford
Carrie Coon (Streep's likely successor)
Jesse Plemmons
Alison Brie
Bruce Greenwood
Tracy Letts
Michael Stuhlbarg
Zach Woods

The movie will see a limited release on Dec. 22 and go wide on Jan. 12, 2018.

Stellar cast. I think there will be a lot of interesting turns in this one, since a lot of the supporting cast members are known for their more comedic roles. Day one watch, for sure.

Spielberg definitely knows what he's doing behind the camera and he is one of the best cinema storytellers out there, but when I think about it, his films don't have a lot of re-watch appeal. I will confess that I have never seen Schindler's List, but the only films of his that I never tire of re-watching are The Sugarland Express, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Catch Me If You Can.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Do people expect too much from Spielberg now? He'll deliver a good film, but people will seem to downgrade it because it could be better. War Horse is not a bad movie, but I constantly hear people say how unremarkable it is. Had it been directed from someone else, it would have been considered great.

I fall into this category as well, which is a shame. He constantly makes good films, but people hold him to a higher standard.

I prefer his Mexican equivalent anyway.

Suspect's Reviews

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Do people expect too much from Spielberg now? He'll deliver a good film, but people will seem to downgrade it because it could be better. War Horse is not a bad movie, but I constantly hear people say how unremarkable it is. Had it been directed from someone else, it would have been considered great.

I wanted to love this movie. Horses, war drama - totally me. Nup. Took me 6 attempts to get through it. I dont blame his direction, though. I didnt like the writing. Then I saw Adventures of Tintin and absolutely loved it.

This might just do nobody any good.
Lincoln and Bridge of Spies prove to me that he's still got it. I think the problem is in his "kiddie" work recently.

That's why I'm looking forward to The Papers more than Ready Player One.