Second Life

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
A friend of Mine linked me to this site the other day. It is a very interesting program that is sort of a world simulator. Not really a MMORPG, but it sort of feels like one It is sort of like The Matrix, I guess, sans the evil machines using you as a battery. You do create a character, like an RPG, but there are no quests to go on or anything like that. People can start to accrue L Dollars, which can actually be converted into real money at a later date if you like. People run businesses, hold events, chat, and many other activities in a 3d world. You can even go to the movies and buy virtual popcorn, and the program then streams the DVD movie to your comp to watch, as well as about six billion other things to do. I am a total newbie and don't know much about it, except that is seems pretty interesting.

I have an account on the world and will be tinkering around with the features etc for the next couple of weeks. Though tI would tell the other MoFos about it.

Second Life

Oh, almost forgot to mention. The install and the membership are free.

I have an account and my dude is named Tyrion Callisto

Maybe see some MoFos around in the matrix...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Blimey. Looks like those Sci-Fi cyberworld dreams are becoming a reality eh? Snow Crash, only without the mind-manipulating 'talking in tongues'. (That comes later )

Still...funny old world... 'Cats' charging around on snowmobiles wearing nothing but their fur and some imaginary jewellery... denigrators releasing massive self-multiplying 'viruses'... fund-raisers that genuinely generate cash for the Red Cross's Katrina efforts... business dealings, enterprises and bizarre initiatives (you could almost imagine Yods running his own baseball team in there - and making a profit )... 'movies' being made, and watched... people meeting up in self-styled enclaves and on designer mountain tops...

I can almost imagine what the MoFo island would be like in such a place. How odd

I have looked into another world, and seen that the days of 2D animal avatars are numbered

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I'm afraid to look into this...it sounds like something I would get addicted to. Let us know if it's worth it.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Yeah, the whole idea of having another life to manage makes me wary n'all. That and the thought of trolls being able to move mountains as well

Still, i might dip in and have a look. Altho i'm happy for Sedai to be the exploring-astronaut for now. If he never comes back we'll know he's been batteryfied. (Which is OK, coz then we could mount a MoFo rescue raid )

I have yet to explore deep enough to rish any sort of addiction to set in, and yes, I thought of how Yoda could get involved and set up some sort of business.

Seems like a place for people like him. I am just wandering around marvelling at how well i actually matched myself with my avatar. I had a cup of coffee with a friend from AZ and he said it was creepy how much my Av looked like me. More reports later...

In the Beginning...
Blast.

I've tried to register three times now, and I'm not receiving the verification text message on my phone. The only other option is giving them my credit card information, which I'm reluctant to do. I want to play.

I was going to check it out but the site is down right now...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Sleezy
Blast.

I've tried to register three times now, and I'm not receiving the verification text message on my phone. The only other option is giving them my credit card information, which I'm reluctant to do. I want to play.
Yeah, unfortuantely, a CC number is required for ID purposes only. I used my debit card, and they are a reputable enough company, so I am not too worried about it.

So far, it is very interesting, but has a steep curve to really figure out what is going on.

As for playing it, it really is sort of a simulated world, and to play anything, you need to find another user created game inside the world to get into. This could be anything from chess, to keno, to a MMORPG, all created by users in the world. It's quite daunting so far. I have flown about quite a bit, and I have seen a ton of interesting places and things, but I don't know what any of it means. I feel like I am in a William Gibson book...

As for the vid card, I am alwasy on top of that stuff, as I game a ton, and have a pretty new Nvida Rig running in both my machines.

Have fun!!

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
FYI: You need to download their application and you have to have a Nvidia Geforce 2 or better graphics card ar ATI Raedon 8500or better graphics card.
I have a Radeon X300. Is that good enough? I know don't know anything about video cards.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Yeah, unfortuantely, a CC number is required for ID purposes only. I used my debit card, and they are a reputable enough company, so I am not too worried about it.
If you say it's safe, then I'll give it a try in the next day or so. Still, it's scary that you don't know who's looking at your card, and that you could be taken advantage of. Big Brother says...that would be doubleplus ungood.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I have a Radeon X300. Is that good enough? I know don't know anything about video cards.
Yep, if they're minimum is an 8500, the x series is several generations past that. Shouldn't have any problems.

As for the game itself, I haven't played it but I've read tons of stories about very inventive things that happen in game. Sounds pretty cool.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I don't know a thing about them. I'll have to go home and see what I have, because I don't even know that. I had the info about Second World because they emailed to ask why I haven't signed in, yet. I didn't know how to say "because I can't download the software to my work computer" without sounding like a complete slacker, so I just passed on the pertinent info.

The video card I can handle... but I don't do the plastic right now...

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
If you have text messaging enabled on your cell phone (assuming you have a cell phone, that is), you don't have to put down any CC information to get verified.

Unless your phone just inexplicably refuses to accept incoming text messages like mine does...

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
It's free, your card will never be charged. It is for ID verification only.

I will also add this. It is much, much safer to use your credit card online than it is in a store. Most stores still use shabby 64 bit encryption, while pretty much everything online is now 128 bit. No other person ever touches your card, like a clerk would in a store, so there is no chance of someone copying down your number for later use (which happens quite a bit in stores). As long as the business is a verified entity, there is absolutely nothing to worry about, at all.

Now, as stated before, if you have a virus on your computer that logs your key entries, there is a danger of someone getting onto your computer directly (not through Second Life or any other verified vendor), through your network, and snagging not only the number, but your ATM pins, or any other online banking that you have done where you enter passwords/card info. That is certainly a danger, but, just keep your machine clean.

Also, A debit card is totally fine to use, and your credit line is never in danger even from the loggers, just your checking account. If you run your Checking as thin as I do, there is little to no danger...

I got on for a few minutes and did some more exploring yesterday. Crazy place, the Second World...

It's free, your card will never be charged. It is for ID verification only.

Sorry, I should have explained a little better… I don't have a credit or debit card… ...have never liked credit cards (don't faint ) and due to the fact an ex-someone else had access to my account, I cancelled my debit soon after Katrina… and just haven't gotten around to re-ordering another one… but I might try the text thing when I have a few minutes…