Sound of Freedom (2023)

Tools    

This, please. I left another film site and came to this one chiefly because they have descended, over the years, into rancorous, non-stop political infighting and back-biting....I, for one, would vote to keep it that way.
I feel the same way and I'm glad to have a new member here who wants to share not smear. Hope you stick around you seem pretty cool to me

Pauline Kael's Hideous Mutant Love CHUD
I feel the same way and I'm glad to have a new member here who wants to share not smear. Hope you stick around you seem pretty cool to me

You smooth-talking devil, you. Take me.
"If it was priggish for an older generation of reviewers to be ashamed of what they enjoyed and to feel they had to be contemptuous of popular entertainment, it's even more priggish for a new movie generation to be so proud of what they enjoy that they use their education to try to place trash within the acceptable academic tradition." -- Pauline Kael

I just saw the box office receipts of this movie, which I still have not seen (I think I'm going to wait until it is available to watch at home), and it has apparently made $173 million in the U.S. since opening five weeks ago, which is more than the latest "Mission Impossible" has made to date. In my opinion, it is extremely unlikely that this film has made that much money from churches that have pre-bought tickets. I'd be very interested to see the break down of how much money was made from that method, so that we could definitively know how much it contributed to this total, but this appears to be a genuine, potentially grass roots, phenomenon, fueled by word of mouth, for a film that has struck a cord in this country. This is also a huge success for the film, given that it cost around $14 million to make. This is a really good data point that sometimes it's difficult to predict the success of a film. If you were to tell anyone, including the creators of this, in advance, that it would have made this much money, they likely would have told you that you were crazy and that that was a fantasy outcome!

I think people are maybe ready to make the trek back to theaters (or theatres) after Covid. Because this isn't the only box office anomaly currently happening.

I'm planning on watching this movie. Quick question: does it have unsettling moments? I don't mind them, I'm just asking since it's been deemed as powerful so I was wondering if it's because of some explicit scenes, apart from the subject matter in itself.

The first video I linked was apparently taken down for violating YouTube's terms of service. These terms, of course, are vague, selectively enforced, and almost never specified, let alone justified, in any given case, so we can only speculate as to why it was taken down.

I'm planning on watching this movie. Quick question: does it have unsettling moments? I don't mind them, I'm just asking since it's been deemed as powerful so I was wondering if it's because of some explicit scenes, apart from the subject matter in itself.
I haven't seen it yet although I'm looking forward to seeing it. It is rated PG-13, and evidently there are no graphic scenes. The subject matter is disturbing to say the least, but they've likely found a way to avoid the modern film making tendency for grossness.

This may be more evidence of an emerging schism in American patterns of consumption. A significant portion of the country has had enough of Budweiser and Disney and Target and Netflix. These are the people who flock to films like Top Gun: Maverick and stream Chris Pratt's The Terminal list rather than Netflix's Cuties.

It may be telling that this film is beating Indiana Jones. Indie is supposed to be a safe play. It's nostalgia fare, memberberries for millenials, bait for boomers. It's red meat and potatoes. But the masses did not come. Too big to fail franchises are failing. Billions of dollars are being lost. For years they've had a captive audience. Fill the trough and they will come. Now, the herd restless.

We're separating into two different Americas with two radically different visions of itself. We have two national anthems being sung at marquee NFL games. We have graduating college classes segregated by race at major universities. We have 1619 and 1776. We have June Teenth and July 4th. And we just saw Ben and Jerry's parent company Unilever take $2.5 billion stock hit over a tweet shaming the latter holiday. We not only have two different visions, but we don't like each other--thus the proposition is increasingly not "both/and," but rather "either/or." Consequently, it should not be surprising that media may also split with oddball films like this taking the top spot. In the old days, the right-wing counter-culture was relegated to Limbaugh ranting on AM radio. Now we have Jim Caveziel warning about adrenochroming kids in publicity interviews for a film marketed at churches which is beating out Harrison Ford in one of his most beloved roles.

Is this an odd blip in the culture wars or are we witnessing a shift this year?

This is very well said. Sad but true.

A system of cells interlinked
It may be telling that this film is beating Indiana Jones. Indie is supposed to be a safe play. It's nostalgia fare, memberberries for millenials, bait for boomers
Someone bumped this post, and I just realized my generation got skipped (as usual!) in your assessment. The forgotten generation, indeed!

You ready? You look ready.
Someone bumped this post, and I just realized my generation got skipped (as usual!) in your assessment. The forgotten generation, indeed!
yeah, but then y’all miss y’alls opportunity to rag about being left out

I was going for the alliteration with "bait for boomers." Nothing clever came to mind for Generation X. And seeing as how anyone over the age of 30 is a Boomer in the eyes of a Zoomer it seemed ecumenical enough. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to pack a Delorean full of cocaine.

You ready? You look ready.
I mean, Elon named twitter after y'all. What more do you need?!
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I am the Watcher in the Night
Its only after reading this thread that I realised this is an action film...not a documentary as a lot of the promos on social media had led me to believe. No idea if I will ever watch it then as it looks like low budget seagal fare.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

A system of cells interlinked
I tried to read that review, but I can't stand sites that have a dark background with white text, as it totally toasts my vision for a couple of minutes afterward. I got as far as "Old white people" and decided it probably wasn't a person I care about what they think/say.

I have heard the film has quite of bit of inaccuracy, for instance in its claims that child abductions are mostly random, when in fact the data (collected by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children) clearly shows it is more likely to be non-custodial parent or someone else the child already knows. This film clearly isn't a documentary, and I hope folks aren't taking it as such.

Also: Most films contain propaganda, and always have.