should we consider tv series movies too?

Tools    

Movie definition:

A film, also called a movie or motion picture, is a series of still images which, when shown on a screen, creates the illusion of moving images due to the phi phenomenon.

technically tv series are movies, but most people dont consider them to be so.

A system of cells interlinked
Movie definition:

A film, also called a movie or motion picture, is a series of still images which, when shown on a screen, creates the illusion of moving images due to the phi phenomenon.

Ah, so the news is a movie? A football game is a movie?

NO.

Certain TV series are definitely "movies". The only way they're really different from theatrical films is that the stories are told in a different kind of format (most of the time).

Ah, so the news is a movie? A football game is a movie?

NO.
These are not written and directed. Essentially TV series like Seinfeld are a collection of short comedy films, while stuff like Haibane Renmei is a 5 hour long film divided into 13 pieces.

MUBI lists several TV series as movies for instance Kaiba, Fanny and Alexander and Lain.

wanabe movie critique
I say NO!-

Movie definition:

It's a different viewing experience with a TV series or programme but it would be silly to ignore it exists when talking about films; same with other media.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
They are becoming as good as movies, better even given that they have much more time to flesh out their stories. Game of Thrones for example, effects are near enough as good as films too.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
True Detective is fantastic, even has movie stars in it, and its about 8 hours long. Just about as good as any comparable serial killer movie.

I can imagine an argument for both sides of this one. A movie is what it is because it has to limit its story to what you can do in one film. In the case of series like Star Wars, The Dark Knight, etc you are still talking about individual films and individual stories that include some of the same characters. However I agree with Gandalf26 when he says TV's are improving and while they are not movies they may provide some opportunities that Movies Can't. My favorite was Carnival. That was a great story with great characters, cinematography, and other film elements. In the case of Carnival and some of the other great TV series like Twin Peaks, or whatever you like You are able to extend the story as long as you can keep the audiences attention which becomes the creative challenge of a TV series. The other great challenge of a series is the cost. They canceled Carnival when it was just getting rolling because of the cost. looking foward to American Gods and the new Twin Peaks.

While there are obvious differences in pacing and such, I do consider tv shows as a medium of watching movies. It's one story spread out over different chapters.

Like with movies in the 20's, tv has grown a lot in recent years and has become accepted as an art form.

I like great tv shows and great movies equally. They are just two sides of the same coin to me.

I am the Watcher in the Night
No. Just no.

If we started taking everything so literally...damn

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

As a fan of British Mysteries that I have to watch via Netflix, I would probably consider some of them movies.

Midsomer Murders, Inspector Morse, and Dalziel and Pascoe are all 90 minutes long and have a complete ending, not leading into the next episode; these I would consider movies.

The average American TV show, I would not consider a movie.

As a fan of British Mysteries that I have to watch via Netflix, I would probably consider some of them movies.

Midsomer Mureders, Inspector Morse, and Dalziel and Pascoe are all 90 minutes long and have a complete ending, not leading into the next episode; these I would consider movies.

The average American TV show, I would not consider a movie.
There is the example of productions like the Granada Sherlock Holmes, where there were five film-length episodes between series; stories like The Last Vampyre and The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Another relevant point is that there was a period with the BBC's home video releases in the Eighties and early Nineties when they used to edit out the closing titles for certain programmes, making a feature-length edition. Doctor Who for example was regularly issued as a film-length edit from the usual 4–6 25 minute episodes, but this negated the device of its well-known cliffhanger endings as well as forcing an awkward mash-up of all the episodes' closing credits at the end of the tape. I, Claudius was also released without its episodes' end titles. The result was very unsatisfactory and ultimately you weren't seeing the programme as it was intended.