"Getting To Know You" Song Tournament

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Also, I seriously wanted to nominate this song (just because I love it so much ) or this song (the man's voice drives me insane with this one). I have a little bit of an obsession with him. I won't deny it. I love his voice. And after years of my mother saying to me "You'd better write to him", my reply of "Why? Because he's 81?" (and then keep changing the one to a higher number because this went on for years), and then she'd answer with "Yes", I finally "stalked" the man and got his autograph. Got it last year.

I love Vic Damone's voice too, (but I'm not obsessed with him).

All Night Long lost??? oh.
well, obviously it was mine. since it's from
Nightmare on Elm Street 2:
FREDDY's REVENGE

it's a really important song and represents me and all that stuff

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I kind of think that I am the only one in the world who is.

Thank God I didn't have to listen to the Backdoor Boys
Oh, it wouldn't have been that bad. But saying things like that just makes me even more tempted to throw one or two of their songs into one of these tournaments just to make you suffer.

ROUND 2 - DAY 3:

Linda Ronstadt - You're No Good vs. Leonard Cohen - Everybody Knows

Rush - Subdivisions vs. Johnny Cash - San Quentin

Billy Murray - K-K-K-Katy vs. Men Without Hats - Safety Dance

Henri Mancini - Theme from The Pink Panther vs. Golden Earring - Twilight Zone

Bobby Bland - Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City vs. Public Enemy - He Got Game

Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John vs. Elton John - I'm Still Standing

Weird Al Yankovic - The eBay Song vs. Bessie Smith - Gimme a Pig Foot and a Bottle of Beer

Madonna - Into the Groove vs. The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black

Eminem - Lose Yourself vs. The Scaffold - Liverpool Lou

We can't move on to ROUND 3 until everyone finishes voting, so here's an updated list of who needs to vote in which sets. (Some people accidentally skipped a day, so please check to see if your name is on the lists.)

DAY 2 - Gatsby

DAY 3 - Nostromo87 and Christine

DAY 4 - Gatsby and Nostromo87
Sorry! It was Chyp's dancing and the thought of HK's luxurious locks that distracted me

The Mark Wills song was my nomination. The song is all about everything that I grew up with, so it's like walking through a tour of my memories.

I can't count how many times I saw Star Wars in the theater.
Pac-Man was one of the few video games that I was addicted to in my youth.
I collected baseball cards, and spent hours sorting them.
I was only about 10 years old when Elvis died, so I didn't understand why it was such a big deal, but I knew how upset my Mom was about it.

I still have some of my 8-track tapes, and even an 8-track recorder that still works.
My family was the first on the block to get a microwave. (It was called a "radar range" back then.)
Didn't everyone pull the stickers off their Rubik's Cube?
I remember the Space Shuttle Challenger tragedy like it was yesterday. I was watching it live when it happened.

A lot of my friends had parties at roller skating rinks, but I never learned how to even stand on roller skates, so it was just a fun place to hang out with my friends.
I had a Matchbox-size black Trans-Am because it was such a cool-looking car. (I probably still have it somewhere.)

That song just brings back so many memories of my younger days.

Round 2 - Day 4

Buck Shot - Two Sheets vs. Culture Club - I'll Tumble 4 Ya

After the Fire - Der Kommissar vs. Metallica - I Disappear

Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back vs. Terry Cashman - Talkin' Baseball and the Mets

Stereophonics - Maybe Tomorrow vs. Ted Nugent - Fred Bear

Green Day - Longview vs. The Beatles - Penny Lane (Alternate Link for U.S.)

Nirvana - Something in the Way vs. The Yardbirds - You're A Better Man Than I

Mocedades - Eres Tu vs. Paramore - Daydreaming

The Rolling Stones - Jumpin Jack Flash vs. Jefferson Airplane - Somebody To Love

The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want vs. Billy Joel - Captain Jack

Nostromo87 said to skip his votes for DAY 3, so these are the winners and the losers of ROUND 2 - DAY 3. If your song is in the losers list, now is the time to tell us that it's your nomination. It would also be nice if you would tell us why you chose that particular song as one of your nominations. What makes that song so special that you chose it for this tournament?

ROUND 2 - DAY 3: - WINNERS!

Linda Ronstadt - You're No Good
Johnny Cash - San Quentin
Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
Golden Earring - Twilight Zone
Bobby Bland - Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City
Elton John - I'm Still Standing
Weird Al Yankovic - The eBay Song
The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
Eminem - Lose Yourself

ROUND 2 - DAY 3: - LOSERS

Leonard Cohen - Everybody Knows
Rush - Subdivisions
Billy Murray - K-K-K-Katy
Henri Mancini - Theme from The Pink Panther
Public Enemy - He Got Game
Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
Bessie Smith - Gimme a Pig Foot and a Bottle of Beer
Madonna - Into the Groove
The Scaffold - Liverpool Lou

These are the winners and the losers of ROUND 2 - DAY 4 for the matches that already have a clear winner. If your song is in the losers list, now is the time to tell us that it's your nomination. It would also be nice if you would tell us why you chose that particular song as one of your nominations. What makes that song so special that you chose it for this tournament?

ROUND 2 - DAY 4: - WINNERS!

Culture Club - I'll Tumble 4 Ya
After the Fire - Der Kommissar
Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back
Ted Nugent - Fred Bear
The Beatles - Penny Lane (Alternate Link for U.S.)
The Yardbirds - You're A Better Man Than I
Mocedades - Eres Tu
The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want

ROUND 2 - DAY 4: - LOSERS

Buck Shot - Two Sheets
Metallica - I Disappear
Terry Cashman - Talkin' Baseball and the Mets
Stereophonics - Maybe Tomorrow
Green Day - Longview
Nirvana - Something in the Way
Paramore - Daydreaming
Billy Joel - Captain Jack

We're just waiting for Gatsby to break this tie, and then we can move on to ROUND 3.

The Rolling Stones - Jumpin Jack Flash vs. Jefferson Airplane - Somebody To Love

This tie-breaker is for GATSBY ONLY right now, but if he doesn't break the tie within the next few hours, we may have to find someone else to break it.

As most of you guessed, the NY Mets song was my nomination. (Probably the easiest guess in the whole tournament. )

I've been a New York Mets fan since I was about 3 years old, and I've stayed true to them through all the ups and downs. (Sadly, there were a lot more downs than ups over the years. ) Unfortunately they didn't win the World Series this year, but I'm proud of how far they did go.

I actually wanted to use the 2008 version of that song, but I liked the video for the older version better, and I just assumed that I was the only one who would notice the difference in the songs anyway.

Angel's Son was mine. I just wrote a long post and sat here re-reading it for 10 minutes but then decided to delete it. It was too personal and probably too sad for others to read. Anyway, the title of the song doesn't relate to me but the feelings and the lyrics do. My mother passed away earlier this year after a seven year battle with cancer:

You were fighting everyday
So hard to hide the pain
I know you never said goodbye
I had so much left to say

K-K-K-Katy by Billy Murray

I have to tell you guys that I very much enjoyed seeing this song make it to the second round. I didn't think it would make it past the first (I knew that it definitely wouldn't make it into the third). So this was a nice little surprise for me.

Why did I choose it? I am a woman., and the song title is a woman's name. So, if you can't put the two together as to why it was chosen, well, that is not my probem.

I kind of think that I am the only one in the world who is.
I just seen Vic Damone last night in the musical Kismit (1955) he sang 'Stranger In Paradise' with Ann Bltyh, have you seen that film?

I just seen Vic Damone last night in the musical Kismit (1955) he sang 'Stranger In Paradise' with Ann Bltyh, have you seen that film?

I saw the beginning of Kismit recently, but I was interrupted and I still haven't had a chance to watch the rest of the movie. Hopefully I'll get around to it soon.

If we can ever do a tournament with songs from musicals, then I have a good one from Kismet. I think that would be fun.

I would love to have a tournament with songs from musicals, but I don't think most people would pick songs from classic musicals, so it wouldn't be as much fun as you think.

You needn't ask me that question. I think he is quite cute as the Caliph.

I would love to have a tournament with songs from musicals, but I don't think most people would pick songs from classic musicals, so it wouldn't be as much fun as you think.
Were you thinking that it should just be songs from movie musicals? Honestly, I have a list of 16 songs already just in case this should ever happen (actually, my list is a tiny bit longer than 16 ). But I only considered 4 that were from movies. All the rest were originally on Broadway. And a decent amount weren't from older musicals. I still think they would be nice songs to nominate, though.