Recommend an uplifting, light film?

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
By mentioning that I should mention a movie, haven't I technically mentioned it?

Yay for unnecessary usage of semantics!

Happy New Year from Philly!
For more sweetness and light Amelie style you can not go wrong with many of the Hollywood films of Leslie Caron and Audrey Hepburn. They have the same gamine style and beauty as Audrey Tatou the star of Amelie and Hollywood used that quality to good advantage in these movies.

Leslie Caron:

Gigi
Lili
Father Goose
An American in Paris
The Glass Slipper I have never seen it; but I have heard good things about it.

Audrey Hepburn:

Roman Holiday
Charade
Sabrina
Breakfast at Tiffany's
My Fair Lady
Funny Face
How to Steal a Million I can not recommend this one personally as I haven't seen it, but again I have heard good things about it.

Semper Fooey
For sweeness and light there is Shirley Temple, but even as a kid I couldn't stand her pictures with the exception of Little Miss Marker. She is still really small in that one and hasn't patented her annoying schtick and it has the best adult actor to co-star with her, Adolph Menjou, the definitive Sorrowful Jones. It is far better than the two remakes with Bob Hope and Walter Matthau.

Say Honey has anyone ever told you that you got a little thing for Ms Barrymore

Anyways, if there is one film that is guaranteed to raise my spirits and put me in a great mood it's The Warriors. I've only just realised how much I adore that film. Everything about it rocks, from the Cyrus' Martin Luther King style speech to the omniscient radio lady, the film just has so much energy is fun in the purist sense.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
You Can't Take It with You (1938)

It's a fun family comedy by Frank Capra, who I consider to almost always be uplifting to me. James Stewart, Jean Arthur, and Lionel Barrymore are terrific and this is an excellent film all around.

I'm not sure exactly what to make of the "uplifting, light" criteria (comedies only, drama, musicals, what???), but generally I'd say take a look at Charade (1963), A Hard Day's Night (1965), What's Up, Doc? (1972), The Three Musketeers & The Four Musketeers (1974 & 1975), Heaven Can Wait (1978), Breaking Away (1979), My Favorite Year (1982), All of Me (1984), The Princess Bride (1987), Hear My Song (1991), The Man Who Knew Too Little (1997) or The Straight Story (1999). That's a pretty wide group to choose from, all fitting what it basically seems you're looking for.

Or not.
I'd vote not on Charade, a few too many murders take place to call it uplifting or light.

Say Honey has anyone ever told you that you got a little thing for Ms Barrymore
Who told you about that?

Anyways, if there is one film that is guaranteed to raise my spirits and put me in a great mood it's The Warriors. I've only just realised how much I adore that film. Everything about it rocks, from the Cyrus' Martin Luther King style speech to the omniscient radio lady, the film just has so much energy is fun in the purist sense.
I completely agree. In fact, I wish I'd thought of it just so I could've been the first to mention it. I've been championing this film since I was about 8 or 9. My friends prefered The Wanderers... They were wrong and they still are.

I know it gets a lot of clog, but I really like this, too.

Flash Gordon of course. One of the best campy popcorns flicks ever.

Also:

The aforementioned Starship Troopers
Jurassic Park - all of 'em
King Kong ~ the newest one
All the Pirates films.
2012 ~ yeah it certainly needs some popcorn to get one through it, but nonetheless very popcornish.
Cliffhanger
Vertical Limit
Armageddon
The Cube
Transformers - both
The original Superman films

oh and so many more -

Welcome to the human race...
Honeykid's post just reminded me of why I almost never watch Drew Barrymore movies.

On the other hand, I prefer The Warriors to The Wanderers too.

Honeykid's post just reminded me of why I almost never watch Drew Barrymore movies.
Really? I know I'm biased but, IMO, 50 First Dates, Everyone Says I Love You and Fever Pitch are good films. Though Never Been Kissed, The Wedding Singer and Ever After aren't among my favourite films of hers, I know a lot of people who not only like them, but would say they're good films. Maybe you should take a look at a couple of them next time you want a light hearted film.

On the other hand, I prefer The Warriors to The Wanderers too.
See. You're not all bad.

Who told you about that?

I completely agree. In fact, I wish I'd thought of it just so I could've been the first to mention it. I've been championing this film since I was about 8 or 9. My friends prefered The Wanderers... They were wrong and they still are.

I know it gets a lot of clog, but I really like this, too.

Yeah man, can't go wrong with Warriors. What was your favourite gang btw?I have never even seen The Wanderers. Never even heard of it until you mentioned it

Speed is a good popcorn flick. I like it's 'race against the clock to stay alive' premise, and it has been copied in many later films in some shape or form. Plus can we say Sandra Bullock?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Young in Heart
Come to the Stable
People Will Talk
(1951)
The Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
Jewel Robbery
Heaven Can Wait
(1943)
The Importance of Being Earnest (1952 and 2002)
It's Love I'm After
A Little Romance
Rudy
Porco Rosso
Greyfriars Bobby
To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything, Love Julie Newmar
Once
Hail the Conquering Hero
Song of the South
Wall-E
Up
Meet Me in St. Louis
Blithe Spirit
If I Were King
Hairspray
(2007)
Astaire-Rogers Musicals
Singin' in the Rain
Queen of Hearts
The Kid
(1921)
Dumbo
For Heaven's Sake
(1926)

Semper Fooey
For uplifting, light films, don't watch any movie from these directors:

Sam Peckingpah
Erich Von Stroheim
Wes Craven
David Cronenberg
Bernardo Bertolucci

For uplifting, light films, don't watch any movie from these directors:

Sam Peckingpah
Erich Von Stroheim
Wes Craven
David Cronenberg
Bernardo Bertolucci
ANY is a strong word, and really doesn't fit here.

First of all, it's not "pecking"pah, it's Peckinpah. Second of all, I think both The Ballad of Cable Hogue and Junior Bonner are fine entertainments that are just about completely devoid of the kind of brutality Sam is most often identified with, instead infused with genuine elegiac atmospheres.

As for Wes Craven, he directed a passion project called Music of the Heart which is the very definition of "uplifting", a based-on-a-true-story drama starring Meryl Streep (who was Oscar-nominated) as a dedicated violin teacher.

Bertolucci's Stealing Beauty has some serious themes, but is by far the lightest in his filmography, a dramatic tone poem about the intertwining of love and sex that launched Liv Tyler's career.

But that's the danger of using a word like "any".
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yeah man, can't go wrong with Warriors. What was your favourite gang btw?I have never even seen The Wanderers. Never even heard of it until you mentioned it

Speed is a good popcorn flick. I like it's 'race against the clock to stay alive' premise, and it has been copied in many later films in some shape or form. Plus can we say Sandra Bullock?
Indeed we can say Sandra Bullock.

As for my favourite gang, obviously it's The Warriors. But that's probably not what you meant, so it's the Baseball Furies.

Also, as for uplifting Peckinpah (as well as qualifying for the mindless popcorn angle of the thread) there's my favourite Peckinpah film.

i recommend UP!

or any pixar movie for that matter, they always make you feel better

Facing the gaints
you should check out BLindside.