Movie Tab II

Tools    

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
WARNING: "superman spoilers " spoilers below
We do, it was in Superman II, which this is supposed to be in continuity with.

ah that makes more sense, ill have to rent it again

Superman Returns - 3/5

I prefer it to any of the originals, although I thought Kate Bosworth and Kevin Spacey were crap.

My DVDs

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
^^^really? Agree with you on the bosworth front but i thought kevin spacey managed well with it
I didn't think he added much to the character.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Last Year in Marienbad - pretty pretentious review here
(The short review = "Very pretty. Very pretentious." )

Cinema Paradiso
A touch overlong and overly-broad in scope perhaps, but this ode to a lost, formative, life creates a classy balance between nostalgia and bite. The cinema stuff is good too

Floating Weeds
Somehow very restrained, despite frequently centring on an ageing actor calling women whores. Great acting from the leads - and lots of familiar conundrums tied up in their curious traditions. (Intriguing being left not knowing whether you like or despise the main character as well )

Being There
Alright, and well made, but frankly very silly. Sellers is good and all, but the material didn't really work for me. A one joke film in many ways. At least the ending seemed to cheekily lampoon the whole concept.

Put me in your pocket...
Marilyn Hotchkiss Ballroom Dancing & Charm School (2005)
I really liked this touching story and it's well done. I wish a few scenes could have been cut or shorthened (feet scenes) and gaps filled in more (sister/step-brother relationship), but I still really like it...mostly due to Robert Carlyle. I have to admit, I haven't seen him in anything before....he was wonderful. I need to look up what else he's been in.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Police Academy
Police Academy 2
Police Academy 3

(Cause I'm on a nostalgia trip currently, and as stupid as they may be, I watched these a lot when I was a kid. Bobcat Goldthwait is strangely hilarious. "Don't make me flare my nostrils!")

I am having a nervous breakdance
Manderlay (2005 - Lars von Trier)

Not sure exactly what I think of it. I do think I like it more than Dogville, at least I wasn't irritated all the way through it up until the end. There are things about von Trier's filmmaking that I will always have problems with, but it has less to do with his skills as a director (or as an auteur - because he really is one) than about a differentiation in views and opinions. This time, however, it was the dialogue that bugged me a bit. To me it felt like a Dane writing a script in Danish, then translating it directly, word by word, into English. It gives a very un-naturalistic feel to the dialogue, but as Willem Dafoe said in the interview on the disc: that might not necessarily be a bad thing. The text might perhaps be the most important thing of this film. Anyway, I wasn't instantly wild about it, but I am still thinking about some of it. Which is a good thing.

Brokeback Mountain (2005 - Ang Lee)

Liked it. A lot.

Dom za vesanje / Time of the Gypsies (1988 - Emir Kusturica)

Fantastic film. The scene when Perhan, his sister and the others leave their village and the musicians play a farewell song was so beautiful... Lots of hillarious details, as in Black Cat, White Cat, like the turkey for instance... I have only seen Underground too besides the allready mentioned two films by Kusturica. This one was a bit rawer and colder, I think, even if Kusturica deals with these horrible issues with a lot of warmth and humour.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
Police Academy
Police Academy 2
Police Academy 3

(Cause I'm on a nostalgia trip currently, and as stupid as they may be, I watched these a lot when I was a kid. Bobcat Goldthwait is strangely hilarious. "Don't make me flare my nostrils!")
I've decided, after much thought, that the only truly funny thing in those films is the way the Commandant says "Many, many, many".

Apparently the actor based his performance on an old-school Russian comedian (who i think had royal blood, or something). Who knew

Originally Posted by Pidz
Time of the Gypsies...
Gah, i've been hankering to see that for ages. Hankering i tell you.

A system of cells interlinked
The Sixth Sense (Shyamalan, 1999) - Of course, I had seen this before, numerous times, but for some reason, this time around, it hit me a different way. I was riveted to this film. Love it.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Golgot
Gah, i've been hankering to see that for ages. Hankering i tell you.
Enough with the hanky panky allready! Just see it!!!

Kelly's Heroes 54/5
Clint Eastwood and Donald Sutherland....YOUNG!

The Omega Man 5/5
Good stuff - cant believe I havent watched it sooner.

Doh - just watched a wrenching short which involved a genuine set of Indian street kids, the main one of which had elephantitis (feet) - and i didn't catch the bloody film's name.

I recommend it anyway.

(If anyone else in the UK still up - there's a bunch of good shorts on BBC2 at the mo)

Miller's Crossing - 4/5 Excellent.