I Need a Quick Review

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Garrett
If... and O Lucky Man!
O Lucky Man is one of my old favourites, Malcolm McDowell is great as the Ambitious Coffee Sales man, It is a surreal journey Keep your eye out for a very young beautiful Helen Mirrim The soundtrack is great.

I also like if

Domino- everyone seems to dislike it, but i really want to see it especially since i enjoyed Man on Fire. So, worth a buy?

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Domino- everyone seems to dislike it, but i really want to see it especially since i enjoyed Man on Fire. So, worth a buy?
It wasnt terrible. I would have enjoyed it alot more if not for the shaky camera work that got very very annoying as it continued doing so throughout the entire film. Gave me a huuuuuuuuuuuge headache. Worth a rent definitey though and you can decide from there. I found a couple scenes in it especially funny involving the two chaps (Ian Ziering aka Steve Sanders and Brian Austin Green aka David Silver) from Beverly Hills 90210 who played cameos and appeared to make themselves out to be a couple wusses.

Did anyone see the matador with Pierce Brosnan, it was a comedy about a hitman who started to be depressed because when his birthday came up he realized he didn't have any friends.A thums up. What do you think?

Originally Posted by thehulkzinger
Did anyone see the matador with Pierce Brosnan, it was a comedy about a hitman who started to be depressed because when his birthday came up he realized he didn't have any friends.A thums up. What do you think?
Hmm, it was ok I guess. Some humour in there with some good one liners in there. Basically, he's kind of having a breakdown from doing what he's doing and gets himself in trouble by missing on a hit. Still not sure if there is a moral to the story itself actually. I'd say it's worth a go to but maybe just wait till it arrives on dvd. The downside is that it had the problem with sexual exploitation of minors by foreigners and kind of poked fun at it in a way.

Originally Posted by thehulkzinger
Click HERE.

And the R1 release date for The Matador is April 25th.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Couple here I need some thoughts on...

Sine I love Mulholland Drive, and am about to take in Persona this evening, I wanted to get some thoughts on the following (apparently like) films, which people have recommended to me...

Morvern Caller

Chelsea Walls

Ain't seen it, but heard Morvern Caller is quite hard to get hold of, but i've liked what i've seen from Lynne Ramsay.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Couple here I need some thoughts on...

Sine I love Mulholland Drive, and am about to take in Persona this evening, I wanted to get some thoughts on the following (apparently like) films, which people have recommended to me...

Morvern Caller

Chelsea Walls
I really liked Morvern Callar a whole lot, most especially Samantha Morton's amazing performance. It's most like Anotnioni's The Passenger if you want to compare it to another film, and not like Persona and Mulholland Dr. at all, really. But still good and worth seeing.

I've never bothered to sit through Chelsea Walls, which despite a pretty amazing cast I found tedious and couldn't even finish it on cable TV. And from what I saw and know of it, it ain't in the Persona mold either. Whoever told you so, I'd stop getting movie recommendations from them.

If that's what you're itching for, check out Bob Altman's Images (1972) starring Susanna York and Polanski's Repulsion (1965) starring Catherine Deneuve.

Put me in your pocket...
Has anyone seen The Vertical Ray of the Sun(Mua he chieu thang dung) (2000) directed by Anh Hung Tran? I checked it out, but my time has been so stretched lately I'm not sure if I should make the time to watch it or just take it back.

Has anyone seen Honey for Oshun?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Has anyone seen Honey for Oshun?
I tried to watch it once....but I fell alseep a third of the way through. What I had seen of it though, I wasn't tempted to try and watch it again. Could just be me. Have you seen it yet?

Originally Posted by Aniko
I tried to watch it once....but I fell alseep a third of the way through. What I had seen of it though, I wasn't tempted to try and watch it again. Could just be me. Have you seen it yet?

Thanks.... no, haven't watched it yet... but I had a feeling... I bought Birth and got Honey for Oshun free...

Has anyone seen Bullet for the General, is it any good?

Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
Has anyone seen Bullet for the General, is it any good?
I like Bullet for the General. It's definitely one of the better non-Leone Spaghetti Westerns. But the truth is, none of the other few hundred movies in the "Spaghetti Western" subgenre are anywhere near the level of Sergio Leone's movies. So if you're expecting something as good as For a Few Dollars More or The Good, the Bad & The Ugly, you're going to be disappointed. If you realize it's more in the line of Death Rides a Horse and the first Sabata, A Bullet for the General is a pretty good flick.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I like Bullet for the General. It's definitely one of the better non-Leone Spaghetti Westerns. But the truth is, none of the other few hundred movies in the "Spaghetti Western" subgenre are anywhere near the level of Sergio Leone's movies. So if you're expecting something as good as For a Few Dollars More or The Good, the Bad & The Ugly, you're going to be disappointed. If you realize it's more in the line of Death Rides a Horse and the first Sabata, A Bullet for the General is a pretty good flick.
Oh don't worry I'm not expecting a Leone. Most of the Spaghetti Westerns I've seen are pretty poor, but I've heard it's one of the best.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
If that's what you're itching for, check out Bob Altman's Images (1972) starring Susanna York and Polanski's Repulsion (1965) starring Catherine Deneuve.
Ahh, excellent advice, thanks. I have seen Repulsion, which was great dark stuff. I will pop Altman's Images into my Netflix queue right now!

Thanks for the mini reviews.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Henri Langlois: The Phantom of the Cinémathèque

Any takers?

Originally Posted by Escape
Saw this last night hearing both positive and negative reviews.

First scene was cool. It was about 5 minutes of non stop camera action without cutting to another shot. Such as the way it was done in the nightclub scene in The Goodefellas, except this one was a much slower pace and very little talking.
Yeah, I liked the opening too. It was so slow though that I was getting impatient and anxious, but at the same time built suspense and kept me wondering afraid I would miss something.

Ok, the story had its slow moments with the lovey dovey talk between Viggo Mortensen and Maria Bello, the chick from "The Cooler" and "Secret Window" who were husband and wife in the film. Perhaps they were trying to show the strong bond they have as they, especially her, truly believed and thought they knew each other.

There were nude and sex scenes thrown in that didn't really need to be there and if somebody thinks they did need to be there, then i'd really like to know why.
I can see why they would throw those in, but I agree that they didn't seem necessary to me at all. At these points I could feel almost the entire audience kind of lose interest. They came to see something violent, and it IS what they got, but they hadn't expected such mildly graphic sex scences thrown in.

Ok, now we fast forward to the volent scenes. Way too graphic and unnecessary. Who wants to see a guys face half blown off. I mean, one could say that when your dealing with the underworld of the crime syndicate that this does take place and the director is trying to get the audience to feel how when things go bad, they really go bad but i just don't know.

Also, the fight scenes between Mortensen and the bad dudes didnt flow naturally. There seemed to be too wide a gap between the reactions of certain indiviuals to believe it's realism. I mean if one person is beating on another with about 5 or 6 consecutive punched to the nose, why is the other guy with a gun, just standing there watching, then only decide to shoot when his intended target is now focusing on him. All the scenes weren't like that but enough to get my goat.
Yes, the violence was so graphic, lol. I was completely caught off guard when they showed the guy with half his face blown off. I liked that about this movie though. The title completely got me, I came for something violent, and this was just that. I think this was the first violent movie I've seen that didn't hold back too much on all the killing scenes and I liked that.

I really started to get into the film about 3/4 way through only to come to an ending that was just laughable. As a matter of fact, many of the movie goers, myself included, were either laughing or bewildered when it ended. I can't say why however i would like to, but if not for this, i could have given it a 7/10 but instead i'm giving this move a 6 at best.
That's funny because when I went to see it, the entire theater laughed at SEVERAL parts including the end, lol.