Hurt, trained, come back.

Tools    

I'm trying to make a list of movies that the main character gets hurt either physically or emotionally by an individual or a group, goes through some major training by another character, and then comes back to beat or even defeat the individual or group that hurt them in a physical way. I will give some guidelines and examples.

Training has to make the largest difference. Not a new weapon or special power they didn't have before.

And the training must be after the main character first gets hurt by them, not during or after.

The training has to be something they got from someone and not just training to top off what skills they had before the conflict. So no the Last Starfighter.

All 3 things must be shown in the movie and not just implied. Initial hurt, training, come back.

There must be a physical confrontation when they make their comeback. So no Joe Somebody.

After training the enemy they defeat must be the same ones that personally wrong them earlier. Ender's Game won't work.

And it must be purposeful training by a specific individual the makes the biggest difference. Not having prior training and then having an Awakening Plus being around a culture that teaches you things by letting you stick with them. So sorry no Dune.

It's okay if those three requirements are through a set of sequels. Like Luke being defeated by Vader in one movie and then after training defeating him back in another. On the other hand Anakin and Dooku doesn't work because we do not get to see all the training that Anakin got between episode 2 and 3.

Please with your movie specify the antagonist that causes the incident and gets beat. We can assume which protagonist.

The Karate Kid (Johnny)
Never Back Down (Ryan)
Batman Begins (Criminals)
Edge of Tomorrow (Mimics)
Star Wars (Vader)
Sidekicks (Randy)

Have you seen "Peppermint" from 2018?
Well I looked it up and it looks pretty good. The question is did she get trained by someone or did she just train herself?

One of the reasons for me making this list is to watch some movies to help me get inspired for a book I'm writing. It has to include a mentor or a trainer that makes the biggest difference in the person's competency thriving. This does qualify for a different story I'm working on though.

My point is to get more inspired than it is by copying things anyways.

I wonder if you'd count The Dark Knight Rises, or what happens with Magneto in X-Men: First Class?

I wonder if you'd count The Dark Knight Rises, or what happens with Magneto in X-Men: First Class?
I love Batman movies but after Batman Begins the other to get kind of fuzzy since there's so much going on in them and I haven't seen them as much. Which part are you referring too?

And I'm afraid I only saw that X-Men movie one time. You'll have to refresh my memory

The Drunken Master '78 (Thunder Leg)
I haven't seen that one but my martial arts instructor mentioned it once as a good movie. So I'm going to try to track it down and see it sometime

Everyone that's been helping me on this thread. Thank you so far and also you may want to note that I have at least a few other lists that I'm also trying to compile on other threads that are just as fun as this one.

I love Batman movies but after Batman Begins the other to get kind of fuzzy since there's so much going on in them and I haven't seen them as much. Which part are you referring too?
Bane breaks Bruce's back and imprisons him in the same pit he escaped from. Bruce recovers, escapes and manages to beat Bane physically.

And I'm afraid I only saw that X-Men movie one time. You'll have to refresh my memory
Erik (Magneto) gets revenge on all the people who were responsible for killing his family and torturing him in Auschwitz – and one in particular.

This is partly due to being 'trained' and then assisted by Charles Xavier, which allows Erik to fully harness his powers.

Bane breaks Bruce's back and imprisons him in the same pit he escaped from. Bruce recovers, escapes and manages to beat Bane physically.

Erik (Magneto) gets revenge on all the people who were responsible for killing his family and torturing him in Auschwitz – and one in particular.

This is partly due to being 'trained' and then assisted by Charles Xavier, which allows Erik to fully harness his powers.
These are good examples for inspiration. Doesn't fit the criteria perfectly but it still works out very well for stuff that can give me ideas. Of course without copying it.

They get hurt and recover and make a comeback but not so much due to additional training.

Crawling out of a huge bore hole in the ground after your back has been broken, remind me how one of the characters in my stories is last seen by his enemies being carted off to the hospital to intensive care in the next time they see him a year later he takes them all on at once beating them all at their own individual combat expertises.

I haven't seen that one but my martial arts instructor mentioned it once as a good movie. So I'm going to try to track it down and see it sometime
Your Shifu is wrong it's a great movie, if you watch it twice a week starting now, and mimic the training and styles you will be able to beat your instructor in about 4 months..

Your Shifu is wrong it's a great movie, if you watch it twice a week starting now, and mimic the training and styles you will be able to beat your instructor in about 4 months..
Haha. That would be something 😋

He is a 7th degree black belt in Kajukenbo. A martial art known for its difficulty and practicality and especially in my lineage of it.

You have to earn your white belt in it. For my second belt (yellow) which was still a beginner I was dragged through the mud and punched because I didn't take my belt from my instructor like I meant it.

When he was a yellow belt he fought off three Marine MPs that were trying to beat him up, him using grab defenses against their punches. Of course this is before Marines learned mcmap. But even then it's mostly their aggression it helps them out since mcmap is only a few weeks of training.

And kajukenbo focuses on controlled agression too.

His instructor kicked him through a wall around then too.

In my lineage by the time you earn a black belt in kajukenbo you have the proficiency, knowledge, and skill of at least having 5 black belts in the various styles that make up Kajukenbo. And be tougher than most black belts in other lineages or Arts.

I'm a black belt but he's a 7th degree. I can easily take out most black belts I can run into one on one. But he can take on many of those same black belts multiple at a time.

It would have to be an astronomically profound movie divined by gods to pull that off. Like the power of an elder scroll or days in a matrix download of martial arts.

lol.. yeah in a way it is divined by gods, the 8 drunken gods to be precise and the antagonist is sort of a martial arts legend..pls watch asap..

Marines are tough indeed specially the ones that have taken extra krav maga lessons. But if you master your own style and combine that with a little MacGuyver ingenuity and creativity anyone can be beat.

lol.. yeah in a way it is divined by gods, the 8 drunken gods to be precise and the antagonist is sort of a martial arts legend..pls watch asap..

Marines are tough indeed specially the ones that have taken extra krav maga lessons. But if you master your own style and combine that with a little MacGuyver ingenuity and creativity anyone can be beat.
Krav maga and Kajukenbo are sister martial arts. So marines with that are defenitely on my aim to kill if get in a serious fight, list.

One reason I avoid conflict. I don't wanna kill or be killed. But when you face someone would have serious martial art like that, when things get serious they get deadly. Of course he'll deadliest make some depends on the specific lineage of their Kaju or Krav.

Both kajukenbo & Krav maga Kim about around the same time coincidentally for different reasons. But they are very similar. Both of them are mixed martial arts made of many others but focus on it being mixed for real conflict practicality as opposed to winning championships with the rules. Most of the time.

They're both intense and utilize aggression. Neither are afraid to do things that would be illegal in competition like gouge people in the eyes or elbow their spines. So that's their reflex and instinct when the targets are there.

I do not know about their Kiais but in my specific lineage of Kajukenbo I can take the full force punch of any man to the gut and shrug it off with mine. I even had one guy sprain his wrist hitting me there. My Sifu had do you state trooper who fractured his wrist with the same thing.

Even within kajukenbo I do not see that with other lineages.

Would The Karate Kid qualify here? Or the Jake Gyllenhaal film Southpaw? Or no mention of the Rocky francise? I'm thinking Rocky III specifically.
Karate Kid is one of the examples I gave my original post. So yes ☺ . Both the original and the reboot work. So I always thought the reboot should have been called The kung fu kid haha

Rocky 3 I believe so. He did beat Rocky earlier and he had to train some more, and then beat him in the end. Although it was to top off his training. I like even more the movies where the training they show in the movie makes more difference than what they had before.

I haven't seen those other movies but I'll have to look into them now. Thank you.