I like these films - suggest others i might like.

Tools    

Hello all, i'm hoping that after scanning through the following list, some of you experienced movie lovers might be able to point me in the direction of similar ones;

Contact
The Man From Earth
Good Will Hunting
Jurrasic Park (Dont diss )
Sunshine
Pi
Beautiful Mind
The Core

My interests do extend beyond this type of film, but i'm in the mood for them for now.

I'll try to summarise attractive themes: Science, Scientists, Academia, Genius, Mathematics, Research expeditions, and, perhaps the most apparent theme is that of. . Global Significance? That is, the plot of the film centers around some event which would/will effect the entire population of earth, in one way or another. Not exactly a "Disaster Movie" necessarily, though i do enjoy them.

I am not interested in personal dramas, nor pure action films.

Hopefully someone gets the idea, thanks in advance to any who reply.

Contact/Sunshine -- try Solaris by Soderbergh
Pi -- try Memento and Primer.

Some of the same themes that attract me, as well.

I'll try to summarise attractive themes: Science, Scientists, Academia, Genius, Mathematics, Research expeditions, and, perhaps the most apparent theme is that of. . Global Significance? That is, the plot of the film centers around some event which would/will effect the entire population of earth, in one way or another. Not exactly a "Disaster Movie" necessarily, though i do enjoy them.

Children of Men (2006 - Alfonso Cuarón)
12 Monkeys (1995 - Terry Gilliam)
Solaris (1972 & 2002 - Tarkovsky & Soderbergh)
The Andromeda Strain (1971 - Robert Wise)
A Boy and His Dog (1975 - L.Q. Jones)
The Satan Bug (1965 - John Sturges)
When Worlds Collide (1951 - Rudolph Maté)
The Quiet Earth (1985 - Geoff Murphy)
Miracle Mile (1988 - Steve De Jarnatt)
Last Night (1998 - Don McKellar)
Until the End of the World (1991 - Wim Wenders)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Who has seen "THE NOTE", literally the best TV movie ever. I think it just came out on DVD but I can't wait until Christmas time. I must have saw the film at least 20 times while it was on last season. I think this is going to be my new CHRISTMAS STORY.

Logan's Run yeah = that one.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
28 Days Later (the same guy made Sunshine)
Serenity
Pitch Black

Registered Creature
Ghost in the Shell. Sci-Fi thriller.

And after that... Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence.

Put me in your pocket...
Good Will Hunting
Beautiful Mind

I am not interested in personal dramas, nor pure action films.
Have you seen Proof (2005) or Finding Forrester (2000)? Eventhough they are personal dramas, they fall in the academia catagory. Since you've listed Good Will Hunting and Beautiful Mind, I thought you might like them.

Alot of people didn't like 21 for one reason or another, I happened to enjoy it since I have tried counting cards on a few occassions..

The Thing.. I like the Kurt Russell version as well as the original.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I have seen every film yous offered, though, other than Finding Forrester and 1 or 2 of the older ones given by Holden.

I am a student, and over the past couple of years i seem to have exhausted all available resources. It's a pain in the ass trying to find a decent film which i havent already seen.

if you like the core youmight like dantes peek. anothr good daister moive is volcoan with tommylee jones.

there's a frog in my snake oil
if you like the core youmight like dantes peek. anothr good daister moive is volcoan with tommylee jones.
Nah, peeks into too much science.

---

Holds' list is esteemable as always. On an esoteric tip I'd reco Herzog's The Wild Blue Yonder. Doesn't fit the mood you required, but hits on some of the themes.

---

PS, why is it students always seem to know everything? I sense a threat to humanity.

I can't think of anything else. PI but you already have that listed, innit.