Meatwadsprite's Slow Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Ok, Chinatown, here's another movie I can understand why people might not be too crazy about it. It is one of those films that suffers if watched for the first time now because of its many imitators.

I think it was a solid, well made film, but it wouldn't top my my top 100 list, personally, although I know many people on here have it in theirs.

Sometimes I think I have to admire the way meatwadsprite really says what he thinks about a movie, with absolutely no regard for its classic status.

I think if you were more eloquent in your damning of the classics you might get taken more seriously. But I also think that if you watch more films you might appreciate some of the classics a bit more. And sometimes it does take more than one viewing. Especially if you aren't blown away by the visuals (note, one l in visuals). Like you, I was underwhelmed by Blade Runner first time around (very dodgy vhs copy) but now it is one of my all time favourites.

Sometimes I think I have to admire the way meatwadsprite really says what he thinks about a movie, with absolutely no regard for its classic status.
Does anyone wonder why film isn't taken seriously and why lots of people still don't consider it art?

People like this probably have nothing to do with it.....
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

A system of cells interlinked
Chinatown is pretty close to a perfect movie. Lacking visuals? You don't understand what the word means, you just don't. This is one of the most well shot films ever, so says anyone that actually understands cinematography. The screenplay is damn near perfect, and the performances across the board are legendary, from Nicholson, to Dunaway, to the monstrous J Huston...

Chinatown's screenplay is commonly used in film schools as an example of the best of the best, because it is. That is a FACT, and you cannot refute it, because it's already been decided by people who actually know.

That's ok, though. You just keep thinking you're right, and stay an inch or two out of kicking distance. Mankind has to know his limitations, after all.

Visualls : - there really are no great looking scenes at all.
I was kind of thinking when I read your review that you picked a pretty great looking scene to illustrate the film.

I don't agree with your assessment either but that's what makes the world go round. I'm sure you won't hold it against me that you wouldn't catch me dead in a Spiderman flick.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that anytime the Wad isn't the center of MoFo, he makes a derogatory comment or gives a low rating to a movie almost everyone else loves...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Too true, Cait.

Re: visuals. A film does not need to have special effects, or even expansive vistas, to have good "visuals." It's as much about framing and lighting as anything plainer, like sophisticated effects.

Re: speaking one's mind. I'm all for it, and have no problem with Meatwad disliking films I consider to be good (or great). What I have a problem with are the reasons he gives, which rarely make sense. There's always some weird claim like "nothing realy hapens" or "the charcters dont do anything."

Ok first Psycho then American History X and the Evil Dead, now Raging Bull,

you sir are worse then Hitler himself
How many times have you seen each film btw ?

And to Yoda - what dosen't make sense to you ?

Too true, Cait.

Re: visuals. A film does not need to have special effects, or even expansive vistas, to have good "visuals." It's as much about framing and lighting as anything plainer, like sophisticated effects.

Re: speaking one's mind. I'm all for it, and have no problem with Meatwad disliking films I consider to be good (or great). What I have a problem with are the reasons he gives, which rarely make sense. There's always some weird claim like "nothing realy hapens" or "the charcters dont do anything."
You forgot his favorite--"pacing problems".

maybe you should elaborate a little more like several people have asked you to, rather than using the catchall "sucky pacing" and assuming everyone will get what you're talking about.

I think part of the reason that your reviews fail to connect with me is that they often talk about certain aspects being needless or pointless without elaborating on why very much or examining why everything needs a point. As though plot efficiency has some sort of universal point outside of itself. I guess I'm guilty of being vague here too, I'll try and point it out next time I notice it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I just want to know if every film has to have the same kind of pacing to have "good pacing". I believe I mentioned this a month or two ago; something about that I enjoy fast-paced films, but not all stories are conducive to video-game pacing. Ikiru comes to mind. Plus, just because a film may start off fast and changes up for its own sake doesn't make it any worse than if it starts out slow and turns fast, or is flat-out languorous. I have seen plenty of hyper movies, especially lately, which almost kill the brain. The subject matter/technique should dictate the pacing, I believe.

As a separate question to Meat, have you seen L.A. Confidential and Mississippi Burning? I like those (even though I know some have a problem with the latter) as examples of movies with "No Boredom". I'm interested to hear what you think about their pacing.

Act 1: the start
Act 2: the middle
Act 3: the end

YAY

My life isn't written very well.
Oh! I got this one 7th:
and:
Act 1a: conflict

Act 2a: struggle

Act 3a: resolution

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

That term is only used in front of people who watch a lot of movies - maybe I should keep it out from this site ?
English is only used in front of people who listen to a lot of English - maybe I should keep it out from your thread?

Okay, I really need to put you on ignore. You're like a bad drug habit. I know its bad, but I keep coming back. MeatWad, help me!

I just know they're coming to kill me.
I'd love to see him review one of my movies...

Originally Posted by meatwadsprite
Trailer for "The Man Who Couldn't Smile When He Laughed" (1 viewing)

Plut : Fake movie trailer about a guy who can't smile when he laughs.

Storey : What storey? It's a fake film about a guy who can't smile when he laughs. How do you fake a movie? I'll tell you how - later. Pacing is too long for a fake trailer. All in all, BORING.

Visualls : Yeah - the guy can't smile when he laughs. That's a big movie error. If you're gonna laugh, you laugh with a smile. I can't beleive the filmmakers let that one slip through...

Sypnosis : This "MovieMaker" should quit while he's ahead.

Eh?

I just want to know if every film has to have the same kind of pacing to have "good pacing".
Yes , I belive every film should always have dialouge happening or something important being added into the story all the time. Long extended periods of characters doing nothing and shots of scenery are not something I want to see in a film.

As for L.A Confidential and Mississippi Burning. I hated them both - but I may like L.A confidential better the second viewing (defintly not Mississippi Burning though).

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Visuals only has one L

You are going to point out someone's spelling? and in case you didn't notice all the words are spelled wrong

Oh, I am chocking on Irony

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
How many times have you seen each film btw ?

And to Yoda - what dosen't make sense to you ?

American History X- once, because it is so disturbing, and can't help but cry in a bunch of scenes, can never watch it again.

Psycho- is million jillion a number?

Evil Dead- a million jillion times 2

Raging Bull- about 5 times, I am gunna re-watch it pretty soon