Top 3 grossing movies of all time, reasons

Tools    

Inflation means jack to me. In this day and age when piracy, illegal downloading and the speed of movies hitting the home video market, I'm surprised any movie makes as much money as they do.

Top 3 grossing movies of all time:

-Titanic

These movies have been made by great producers. And hence in spite of the inflation these movies have managed to hit the box office all over the world which is just incredible.

I get your point anikalamba, production value can certainly attract audiences. Not sure 2012 is the third highest grossing movie of all time though, I hope not anyway

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
^The Avengers is the third highest. According Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...grossing_films) 2012 is at number 47 when not adjusted for inflation. It was pretty successful but it didn't make nearly as much as anikalamba seems to think.

Most Profitable Movies, Based on Return on Investment is Paranormal Activity with $15,000 Budget.. earn 196,681,656 Worldwide Gross mean 655,505.52% Percentage Return

When discussing the movies you mentioned; Titanic, Avatar, Avengers, and wanting to discuss why these movies were so profitable, I think one has to take into account, the experience, more so then the actual type of movies, these marketing campaigns promised.

Titanic offered an exploration in the lives of its passengers during a horrible accident that happened in history. Personally, I didn't care for the movie, but I sure as heck remembered when it came out. I was in grade school and every girl saw that movie and actively pursued seeing that movie, and when that movie came out on double VHS, every girl in school rushed to Blockbuster to purchase it. For me, I can't see why a movie, in which you know the ending before even walking into it, was so successful. But, we all know how much of a box office draw Billy Zane is, i mean anyone who didn't pile the kids into the van for the release of The Phantom, or pick up a copy of SSX Tricky for Billy's voiceover work was truly missing a Zane-y experience. But in short, romance sells just as much as sex does, and women eat that up, and I guarantee you if a woman wanted to see Titanic, she wasn't going alone, this was a double jointed movie venture.

Avatar promised the experience of a adventure into a billion dollar 3D world. With James backing this up, its not that hard to see why this movie made the money it did. What cracks me up about this movie, is you should see the South Park episode that takes jabs at; basically saying the storyline is identical to that of Dances with Wolves, but with smurfs. Personally, I didn't really care for this movie either, I mean firstly, I'm not a fan of Sam Worthington, and anytime i see a movie with a quarter billion dollar budget, I don't really expect much story, all effects. So in short, I believe this movie was as successful as it was because it promised the viewer a full removal from the audience, an escape into a different world, something new. And I might be misinformed on this next part, but I remember hearing that after the movie was released and quickly gained popularity, there was a segment of the viewers who actually wanted to live in such a world and this created many online forums and groups of people who discussed how much better life would be to live in this created world.

Avengers. Very easy to see why this movie made a lot of money. I mean this is basic business. If one superhero in a single movie, can make a good amount of money, then what happens, when we add two, three, four, five superheros in one film! It also helped that the movie was pretty decent, and it rode the success of Robert Downey Jr's Ironman.

Something to note though, there is one common thing that each of these movies have, not only did they do well domestically, but if you look these movies they did just as, if not better financially overseas. Again basic business, you can only make X amount of dollars in one market (US), when you open your product to an international market...well then you stand to make much more.

There's two ways of looking at it.

GWTW had multiple releases and it is one of the reasons it beats movies like Titanic and Avatar when adjusted to inflation.Today's movies don't do well on re-releases.So does that mean we should DVD sales too to the BO money?

On the other hand,Avatar released in many countries.GWTW didn't have the opportunity to do so.Eve if it did,it wouldn't have done great.Unlike today,not many countries knew English very well back then.

Today's movies:

Advantage:
Release in many countries

Disadvantage:
Illegal downloads

Olden movies
Advantage:
Movies were the only source of entertainment

Disadvantage:
Not released in many countries

It's pretty much even.I don't think it's fair to compare to BO success of olden movies to today's movies

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Today's movies:

Advantage:
Release in many countries

Disadvantage:
Illegal downloads

Olden movies
Advantage:
Movies were the only source of entertainment

Disadvantage:
Not released in many countries

It's pretty much even.I don't think it's fair to compare to BO success of olden movies to today's movies
Strange that you listed illegal downloads as the main disadvantage of modern film releases. I think that only accounts for a small portion of it since film viewership peaked in the 40s. There was also radio in the 30s and 40s, but T.V. was the one major thing that lessened movies' grip on the public. The reason now is varied between T.V. and all other electronic devices (computer, video game consoles etc.)

Illegal downloads greatly hurt DVD sales.

In the US, particularly, DVD sales declined from 25 billion dollars in 2005 to 8.8 billion in 2011. Films and TV series today make part of their profits on DVD sales. Family Guy wasn't cancelled permanently thanks to strong DVD sales.

Still theater gross in the US is much higher than in other countries in proportion to their entertainment expenditures.

In Japan, for instance, film is not that big if compared to other forms of entertainment:

Book (fiction and non-fiction) sales: 750 billion yen
Manga sales: 500 billion yen
Videogames: 350 billion yen
TV anime: 200 billion yen
Theater gross: 180 billion yen

In the 1950's movies were much more popular in Japan than today, when film admissions were around 1 billion compared to less than 200 million today. In the US the total number of admissions in the late 1950's and today is the same at around 1.5 billion tickets. The population almost doubled though.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future

In the US, particularly, DVD sales declined from 25 billion dollars in 2005 to 8.8 billion in 2011. Films and TV series today make part of their profits on DVD sales. Family Guy wasn't cancelled permanently thanks to strong DVD sales.
Yes, illegal downloads hurt DVD sales, but DVDs haven't been around for 20 years whereas the great decline in movie going happened decades earlier than that, so I don't think they're the main influence. Illegally downloading is also illegal (I got that from the name) and thus a large portion of the population opposes it (I've gotten many a lecture).

Still theater gross in the US is much higher than in other countries in proportion to their entertainment expenditures.

In Japan, for instance, film is not that big if compared to other forms of entertainment:

Book (fiction and non-fiction) sales: 750 billion yen
Manga sales: 500 billion yen
Videogames: 350 billion yen
TV anime: 200 billion yen
Theater gross: 180 billion yen

In the 1950's movies were much more popular in Japan than today, when film admissions were around 1 billion compared to less than 200 million today. In the US the total number of admissions in the late 1950's and today is the same at around 1.5 billion tickets. The population almost doubled though.
Why always Japan? Why not Brazil?

Another thing that is really hurting the movie industry is their now quick turnaround on movies going from the theater to DVD. Used to be a time when a movie took a year to get on home video. A movie could have legs in stay in the theaters for a lot longer then they could today.

Now a days the turn around for a movie from theater to DVD is like 4 months or so, so a lot of people are just staying home and waiting to rent or stream it on Netflix. That is really cutting into their profits in the theater.

Back in the old days,movies used to be the only source of entertainment.People used to see it again and again.In India,there have been numerous instances of movies running upto one year even in the 70's or 80's.A few happened in the 90's as well.One popular movie ran for 2 years in the 40's.Nowdays,the movie rarely runs for 1 month.I am sure that's the same with Hollywood too.

Back in the old days,movies used to be the only source of entertainment.People used to see it again and again.In India,there have been numerous instances of movies running upto one year even in the 70's or 80's.A few happened in the 90's as well.One popular movie ran for 2 years in the 40's.Nowdays,the movie rarely runs for 1 month.I am sure that's the same with Hollywood too.
Yes it is.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Inflation means jack to me. In this day and age when piracy, illegal downloading and the speed of movies hitting the home video market, I'm surprised any movie makes as much money as they do.
Pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

Suspect's Reviews

For arguments sake I'd like to stick to the top 3 grossing movies of all time (Avatar, Titanic, & the Avengers). What makes them so special as to be in the top three?*
as had already been mentioned, you have to take into account inflation.

but on top of that, to try and answer your question, i think the public masses are super drawn to these movies that feel like these BIG EVENTS and have a super-new special effects feel to them.

Titanic, Avatar, & the Avengers all fit this model. when they came out, they just felt so BIG that you wanted to go see what it was all about