Anime appreciation thread

Tools    

Just a perhaps-thought-provoking bit of trivia since both Totoro and Grave of Fireflies have been mentioned on this page: they were originally released as a double feature (with Totoro playing first, I believe).

anyone watch hunter x hunter? awesome awesome awesome

-Hattori Hanzo

Have not watch . what is awesome there can you explain the story of that show. well i hope that would very horrible movie.

miyazaki is a god. my childhood could not have been complete without totoro

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I enjoyed Death Note up to a point. My son turned me on to it. He insists on watching it only in Japanese with English subtitles. He says the ones with English dubbed in have terrible voice actors.

A system of cells interlinked
I tend to agree with most Anime, with a few exceptions. Gasarake has a decent dub, as does Lain. For the most part, though, they tend to be pretty bad.

Registered Creature
Ugh, double post. :/

Registered Creature
Ugh, another double post. :/ Sorry.

Registered Creature
Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's often regarded as one of the greatest (if not, THE greatest) anime of all-time. And it actually has a pretty good dub.

I also like Hayao Miyazaki's films, such as Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. Isao Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies takes the cake though for being the best anime movie. For me.

Someone Save Us College Kids
Any REBORN! fans out there?

Is anyone up on fan subs? I know they aren't legitment and there are licensing issues, but a lot of genuinely good shonen aren't aired in the U.S. Plus it takes too long for the dubbing, Id rather read the subtitles than wait two weeks, for an Americanized version of something made in Japan.

I enjoyed Death Note up to a point. My son turned me on to it. He insists on watching it only in Japanese with English subtitles. He says the ones with English dubbed in have terrible voice actors.
Death Note was pretty cool, the actions and script was well thought out and had some really good twists in there.

I also prefer English subs because the Japanese voice actors have so much more emotion. The English voice actors tend to be very flat or overdo it. I hate how they butcher up the names, I cringe everytime I hear it.

I haven't watched Hunter X Hunter but read a lot of it back in the height of my manga-reading days. The anime stops after the Greed Island story, right? Probably for the best as the comic seems to have stalled out for the last several years on the current story + the author's apparent lack of interest/illness/whatever is keeping him from meeting deadlines. I think the part that I liked about it was that sometimes the protagonists can be real dicks in that manga. Like, the protagonists of most manga (especially little-boy manga) are dicks anyway, but in that one they just are and don't make a huge deal about convoluted back story (to make it ok for them to be dicks -- ooh tragic past wah wah) and stuff. They just are. Not sure if that's true, just an impression I had while reading it (and a lot of other manga), where I would gradually come to realize I hated everyone, but it took a while longer with that one. Anyway it's a fun read, I especially like some of the villians, imaginative/original fight-mechanics/super-powers and some decent artwork (I recall it not using much [any?] screen-tone-type fx, which is nice). Later on, in typical Yoshihiro Togashi fashion it progresses into laziness.

If you liked Death Note you might also try Gantz, it's a bit more trashy but also a bit more wild and unpredictable. I liked Gantz a lot. Wouldn't mind catching up on that one, kind of miss my addiction to bad manga sometimes.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im not a Anime fan to be honust, ive seen a few Guyvour and thought it was ok. But I borrowed Afro Samuri off my brother in law really loved it! Also the game looks awesome too.

Did the second season of Afro Samurai air yet? Thought it looked good, my only complaints were that it was a bit short and Samuel L. Jackson gets really annoying.

My Anime List
The above link is slightly out of date but that's my anime lists thus far.

My special favourites are...

Akira
Ginga Densetsu Weed
Cowboy Bebop
Genocyber
Devilman (ignoring Amon one)
Guyver
Patlabor
Samurai Pizza Cats
Vampire Hunter D
Princess Mononoke
Planetes
nice one, hey one I recomend is "Escaflowne",theres a movie and a 26 episode series (Visions of escaflowne)
Really worth a watch

besides that I recomend to every Anime watcher:
A Tree Of Palme,
Origin,
Brave Story,
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time,
Escaflowne - A Girl In Gaea,
Metropolis,
Summer Wars
Tales From Earthsea
Spriggan
Steamboy
Tekkon kinkreet
(Ive posted some of these in other anime threads,I hope its ok?)

some of these have been mentioned but are worth mentioning twice imho.

Tales From Earthsea was a steaming pile of dung compared to the other Ghiblis. Namely because Miyazaki's son was at the helm instead of him. Utterly disappointing film.

A friend of mine once said of Steamboy "if Michael Bay did anime". I tend to agree. Bombastic and uneven. Great visuals but very messy.

I believe it's 7:30 pm where you live! I just woke up two hours ago.

Shinkai is a very distinctive, original director who shares a lot of directorial similarities to Anno. In The Place Promised in Our Early Days, I even see some similarities to Hou's editing. Anyways, I think a lot of his editing style as similar to NGE's if you look at how he alternates pillow shots and wide shots. I love his light pink color schemes and "natural" lens flare/glint style. It's some of the most beautiful anime I've ever seen. Not beautiful in the intricately beautiful sense, but in the simple beauty of light and composition.

Since we're talking about it, you should try Shinkai. I dunno. Most people say that to get someone into anime, you should show them Akira, but sometimes I think it could be just a really beautiful film like 5 Centimeters Per Second that could win them over (weird wording, sorry). I've already suggested this on another thread, but maybe try Summer Wars. You'll almost certainly like it.