The MOFO Preliminary Discussion of the Top 100 Comedies

→ in
Tools    

Most of my cuts were either comedies I haven't seen in a long time (The Princess Bride, This Is Spinal Tap), films that I feel lean more towards other genres (When Harry Met Sally, Back to the Future), or films that I felt didn't need my help so I pushed them out in favor of other less favored ones. On this last category, the two cuts that hurt me most were Shaun of the Dead and The Cabin in the Woods, two horror comedies that I love.

Two that I had in the vicinity, and wanted to acknowledge some way were Barking Dogs Never Bite and In The Loop. Great comedies both of them.

Most of my cuts were either comedies I haven't seen in a long time ...This Is Spinal Tap)
Aw man.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

If this film makes it, I am retiring from the countdowns.
I thought you might say that Nah don't retire yet, wait until that other one makes it...Geez I can't think of the title, it's the French one where the guy acts like a caveman and just grunts the whole picture.

If this film makes it, I am retiring from the countdowns.
I asked people, "are you sure you want me to cast a ballot for this thing?"
That seems like that's on the rest of you for saying, "yes."

The trick is not minding
I thought you might say that Nah don't retire yet, wait until that other one makes it...Geez I can't think of the title, it's the French one where the guy acts like a caveman and just grunts the whole picture.
Themroc

I forgot Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I had written out a tentative list and then lost it by the time I went to actually vote and somehow Roger got forgotten. Looking at my ballot, I'd probably cut my #24 (even though overall I love it way more than Roger Rabbit), shift my #10-23 down a spot each, and put Roger at #10.

Oops.

The trick is not minding

I had written out a tentative list and then lost it by the time I went to actually vote and somehow Roger got forgotten. Looking at my ballot, I'd probably cut my #24 (even though overall I love it way more than Roger Rabbit), shift my #10-23 down a spot each, and put Roger at #10.

Oops.
Oh geez. I totally forgot about that too!
I think it’ll still appear, but man…what an oversight on both of our parts. 🙁

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Most of my cuts were due to an initial list that was around 100 movies. I cut lesser known, old comedies as they most likely wouldn't make the countdown anyway. I wanted my votes to count. A few of those I cut were:

Zero Hour! (1957) not even made as a comedy but one of the funniest films I've seen, thanks to the stone serious Sterling Hayden. I think some know this:

This film is parodied in Airplane! (1980), so much so, that the producers of that comedy bought the rights to this movie and used some of the dialogue word for word.

You didn't think Airplane was funny, but you thought Zero Hour! was one of the funniest films you've seen?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Oops.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit was one of my last few cuts. It would have made my list if it was a top 30.

You didn't think Airplane was funny, but you thought Zero Hour! was one of the funniest films you've seen?
True dat!

Oh, I did remember Who Framed Roger Rabbit, funny movie but like so many I had to cut it to get down to a mere 25.

“How the hell you get the beans over the frank?”
lol the zipper scene makes me laugh every time

"We got a bleeder!"

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Two days after the ballots ended, I watched The Palm Beach Story (1942) for the first time. If I had seen it earlier, it would have definitely made my top 25.

I considered putting Robocop (1987) on there, but decided it leaned too much into other genres to qualify (at least in my mind).

Personally I was surprised by how quickly I cut the Edgar Wright movies out of my ballot, it seems like I somewhat outgrown them.

I realize only now I didn't think about The Death of Stalin or In the Loop at all. Regrettable.