A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

My BFF's teenage son is in his first semester of film/media school and last night I got to watch his video essay on the history of horror films. (Melies to Aster in 6 minutes! It was a quite a ride.)

Later, when I offered him some old dvds I was getting rid of, he eagerly snatched Freaks and The Changeling. One of us!

Dangit. Can't wait to watch Patrick "Dry Toast" Wilson vs the Elder Gods

H.P. Lovecraft's Most Iconic Horror Story Being Adapted Into Movie By James Wan

James Wan is officially making The Call of Cthulhu. The movie will be based on the iconic 1928 H.P. Lovecraft short story of the same name, which follows a man named Francis Thurston who investigates a cult that seems to be involved in worshipping the ancient cosmic monster Cthulhu. The story is the first appearance of the iconic entity, who would later be referenced frequently in Lovecraft's works, as well as works by other prominent authors including Robert Bloch and Stephen King.

My BFF's teenage son is in his first semester of film/media school and last night I got to watch his video essay on the history of horror films. (Melies to Aster in 6 minutes! It was a quite a ride.)

Later, when I offered him some old dvds I was getting rid of, he eagerly snatched Freaks and The Changeling. One of us!
You got rid of Freaks?!

This kid is in the club, you are OUT!

I suppose if you've ever wanted your Lovecraft rendered as tepid, lukewarm water...
What annoys me most is that this will no doubt be it for high profile Lovecraft for the foreseeable future. If it fails we won't get any more and if it succeeds we're in for a decade of Wan-verse movies

What annoys me most is that this will no doubt be it for high profile Lovecraft for the foreseeable future. If it fails we won't get any more and if it succeeds we're in for a decade of Wan-verse movies

To try and be positive about this (I know, I know, it doesn't become me), Wan will almost definitely get attention, and then maybe eyeballs, which could lead to greenlighting other efforts to adapt his work.

Not to say any of them will be any good either. As is pretty clear, this isnt easily adaptable material. It might simply always work better on page than on screen.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer

It's disappointing that Del Toro couldn't get Mountains of Madness off the ground. That could have set the bar for a big budget Lovecraft movie. Just call up James Cameron and get a loan - he can afford it.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

To try and be positive about this (I know, I know, it doesn't become me), Wan will almost definitely get attention, and then maybe eyeballs, which could lead to greenlighting other efforts to adapt his work.
Agreed, I'm just afraid we're going to let Wan make all of them

I forgot the opening line.

SPEAK NO EVIL - (2022)

My parents were two extremes. My mother would immediately pounce on someone doing something wrong, either to her, her family or anybody else really - she had an acid tongue, was in the military, and had an iron will. She could reduce men to tears. My father though - he was polite to a fault. He'd let so many things slide, just to keep the peace. He had his limits as far as insult and injury go, but he'd overlook so much in his desire to both be accepted and lessen any friction. Speak No Evil is about that, and about where we find ourselves in general, as a society pertaining to Western culture. A Danish family is invited to spend the weekend at their new friend's place in Holland - mother, father and daughter meeting the parents of a young, mostly mute boy. From the very start there are subtle things wrong with these friends and the way they treat the Danish trio. To say more would be to infringe on your enjoyment of the film if you haven't seen it. Speak No Evil escalates to one of the most horrific finishes to a movie I've ever seen - so be warned that it's hard to sit through. In the end though, it encourages you to think about where lines should be drawn - who's right and who's wrong and why is there so little clarity in the world today? It might even encourage you to be clear, forthright and stand your ground when you know something is wrong. You'll be too afraid not to, in any regard.

Udo Kier? : No

Jump Scare Meter : 0/10
Discomfort : 9/10
Art : 5/10
Weird : 7/10
Fun : 7/10
Interesting : 7/10
Enjoyable : 8/10
Exciting : 7/10

Overall : 7.5/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Thanks to the flu (curse you, Flu B!), Takoma family Christmas is being postponed a few days.

Thus a new Christmas Eve tradition of watching Event Horizon and eating granola and wondering if any hardware stores will be open tomorrow so I can get materials to patch some drywall.

All I have to say about Event Horizon right now is . . . well, someone clearly saw and enjoyed the first two Hellraiser movies. I love how they literally take one of the most iconic lines ("I have such sights to show you") and just sidestep it into ("I have so many things to show you."). See also: people hanging from hooks, a bad guy with black eyes and a pattern of cuts all along his head,
WARNING: spoilers below
oops, we opened a gateway into hell
, etc.

I think I'd rather watch this on a loop for two hours than watch Event Horizon again, to be honest:

Victim of The Night
Since this is where I live I will post it here. I am certain this is somehow Horror-related.

Christmas In Connecticut is threatening to overtake The Bishop's Wife as my favorite Christmas movie! Eek!

Since this is where I live I will post it here. I am certain this is somehow Horror-related.

Christmas In Connecticut is threatening to overtake The Bishop's Wife as my favorite Christmas movie! Eek!
Una O'Connor is in CIC and Elsa Lanchester is in TBW. I'll allow it.

(I've somehow seen neither.)