The MoFo Bad Reputation

Tools    

For the longest time, I didn't even know I was getting or how to give reps until someone clued me in--I don't know much about the ins and outs of forums other than just posting messages. I don't often remember to check notifications and am not good at responding to private messages, just a klutz when it comes to computers. But it seems to me that punching thumbs up or down on someone's message doesn't tell the original writer much--someone agrees or likes what you said, but why? Someone disagrees, dislikes what you said, or just got up on the wrong side of the bed that day, and still you don't know why. Guess it serves some minor purpose but it's a far cry from a public exchange of ideas and opinions in the forum.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
No, but thanks for the compliment.

There's nothing wrong with getting to know each other. We share our faces, our children, our pets, our hobbies, some of our problems, what we're doing from day to day, etc . . . I'm not sure why that bothers you. If you'd rather not know any of us any better than what we think of movies, that's fine, but it shouldn't bother you any that we do.
The problem I have is the amount of rep given for these posts.

+15, and why do some members get little or no rep?

Some of the Movie Reviews are outstanding, time consuming.

+3 or less?

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ah, maybe a simple solution could be having reps in less movie-related sections being worth 'half'? That lets everyone do all the community-building that's another important bit of Mofo, but keeps the emphasis on the flicks

(I'll leave Yods to work through the headache of how 'halves' would work in practice )

People like pictures.

In all seriousness, you're right, reviews should be at least matching that total. But I don't mind that the pictures get rep; the way I see it, people here put a special value on sharing yourself. Thus, long stories about your life, wedding, personal experiences, etc, like pictures, are considered to be part of a group bonding that makes the more substantive posts more interesting.

I definitely see where you're coming from, though. I've worked pretty hard over the last couple of years to put more and more emphasis on user reviews, from giving them their own section on the Reviews page, to putting them on special individual pages therein. I mentioned this in another thread, but giving them even more exposure is the next significant project in line for the site. They'll be highlighted and emphasized more as time goes on, because I do think they're among the most important things here.

There should be social reputation and film reputation, i.e. misc chat, site stuff and bday/intros should be graded on a different scale to movie related comments but i interpret reputation to correspond to movie knowledge more that anything else.

why do some members get little or no rep?

Some of the Movie Reviews are outstanding,time consuming.

+3 or less?
I completely agree Loner. It's partly a popularity contest that's why. People who rep lots of users all the time, and have been here longer, invariably receive more rep back themselves. That doesn't mean to say those very same people don't make a worthwhile contribution to the site (in many cases they do)...but still...posters who aren't as prolific or well known often don't get as much rep for great posts as they maybe deserve. I think the lines between MoFo as a film appreciation site and a social networking site have become ever more blurred recently. Ultimately though it's down to the individual how they use the site, at least the flexibility's there.

Personally I'm for doing away with the reputation system all together. But I'd be lying if I said I don't like receiving rep; it's addictive and keeps people hooked on the site, which is why it'll never go anywhere. I just think there could be something better in it's place (or additionally), like an annual MoFo Oscars ceremony for the best reviews/posts etc; just a thought.

The bottom line is that I love the site. It's head and shoulders above all the other film forums on the net in my opinion. So the farcical rep system is a more of minor irritant than anything else

You'd have to ask the one's that give it out. Personally, people either like me or they don't, but I don't do anything to try to get them to. As in, I am who I am. I don't bullsh!t people. I'm not into popularity contests. I never have been.

Yes, I've received pretty much a record high amount of rep for my photo. I'd like to think that it's because they liked the joke concerning the final photo, and my need for moisturizer. I don't truly know why I received that much, though. Maybe because it took me over three years to finally post it. It'll probably be another decade before I post anymore.

You know what's funny? If you check the post ratings for the day the top five are all for posts in the "Movie Theme of the Week" thread. Pick an avatar, get rep.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I've got no problem with the pictures.

Some of the Movie Reviews are outstanding,time consuming.

+3 or less?
It only takes a second to look at a picture and click a thumbs up or even down... as the case may be. Reviews are a little more time consuming... I try to rep every review I read... the key word here being read... because I haven't gotten around to all of them yet and I am sure the same can be said for some of the other MoFos...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I have 35 negative rep points... one was just given to me yesterday by Rufnek for merely mentioning that I was experimenting with smoking recently. I'm not sure if I should be grateful for the neg rep or not.

Funny thing is the rep system here is the best moderator, and draw to this site. I got alot of rep points for my nature & film pictures but Im also getting a healthy clip of thumbs up for my posts now. Did I feel my rep was cheaper for my pics being the reason? Just a little, but I shouldnt have. Someones never going to be as articulate as many here, but could bring that charge to their posts anyway.

Im sure the lifeblood of this place could be the reviews not that Ive read any. Seriously when I went to the review section there were so many damn reviews I gave up at the gate. Probably the only reviews Id read on here would be Yodas (insight), Holden Pikes (passionate), and Sexy Celebrity (funny).

IMO the review section should exist but there should be a link from whenever a reviewer posts. Example - Yoda posts in the Forrest AIDs thread, someone likes what he wrote, sees the reviewer button/label thingy near his name, and youre transported to his latest reviews. Otherwise the review section is the mall during christmas season.

Final note. The future Fantasy Football threads should have all repping disabled. It will be obvious why when my team runs rampant on y'all.

Jk

Originally Posted by r3port3r66
However, the way some of you have been so insensitive about the passing of Michael Jackson, I'm encouraged to rethink my philosophy. Maybe rethink some of my MoFos...
Oh lord. I can't help but think that, despite my nice words about MJ, I might be one of the MoFos included. I mean, I am using an avatar of a gimp and saying it's Michael Jackson's former gimp. (Hey, I didn't make it Quentin Tarantino week the week that Michael Jackson died. Whatever comes out of my creativity comes.)

I'm often getting hit with negative rep for making some comment about a recently deceased celebrity, such as David Carradine. I don't know what to say except that humor is how I deal with grief. You should listen to me when my own relatives die.

My life isn't written very well.
Haha Jas'!

No, not you Sexy. I just got a little agitated when someone posted that MJ's passing is just like Elvis Presley's, then someone responded with "take that back--it's not the same!"(or something to that effect). It's exactly the same!

No matter what you think of MJ, he did the same if not more for the music industry than Elvis and probably more. And listen they both had their personal problems, and dare I say both entered "freak show" status.

It just seemed so insensitive, and I have to wonder why would people take that stance. I'm probably old and grumpy.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Thank you TONGO. I get it.

I should remind you that Pricilla was only 14 and Elvis 24, when they started their romantic relationship. Is that odd to you? Or do you approve of a 14 year old girl sleeping with a 24 year old man? But, when he died nobody brought that up.

All I'm saying is that MJ was no saint, but he did influence the music industry and some people are being very insensitive to his death. That's all.

Originally Posted by r3port3r66
I just got a little agitated when someone posted that MJ's passing is just like Elvis Presley's, then someone responded with "take that back--it's not the same!"(or something to that effect). It's exactly the same!

Excuse my ugly inner tattle tale ("Donna"), but I was the one who said that MJ is like Elvis Presley, and Destiny! () was the one who said "Take that back!". But it was all done in the MoFo Shoutbox on the day Michael Jackson actually died.

Thank you TONGO. I get it.

I should remind you that Pricilla was only 14 and Elvis 24, when they started their romantic relationship. Is that odd to you? Or do you approve of a 14 year old girl sleeping with a 24 year old man? But, when he died nobody brought that up.

All I'm saying is that MJ was no saint, but he did influence the music industry and some people are being very insensitive to his death. That's all.
No I dont approve, but it does pale in comparison to MJ. Jerry Lee Lewis married an underage cousin. Maybe its my hypocrisy or just what I can stomach Idk.

Oh yeah . . . It was me . . . and how is it the same? How everyone is feeling about this death, is nowhere near the same as how everyone felt about Elvis' death. For starters, you didn't have fusses about it, because of the guilty/not guilty child molestation thing.
So unless you all are talking about something else, it's not the same.

Well Destiny (OMG I Love you!) Elvis is Guilty of sex with a child. Sorry. I love you, did I say that already? The difference is that Elvis is guilty with having sex with a child, whereas MJ may be innocent ( I do have my opinion tho).

Anyway, back on topic...

I think its pretty hysterical how many folks are beginning to actually complain about receiving positive rep. What's that all about really? Buncha negative nelly's...