The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I watched Punch Drunk Love many years ago and all I remember is that I didn't like it. Considering how much I generally dislike both Adam Sandler and Paul Thomas Anderson, I am certain that a rewatch would not improve anything.

I think Monsters, Inc. is great and it was on my shortlist. It's super imaginative and really funny, but I just couldn't find room on my ballot for it.

Seen: 14/28

My Ballot:
6. Hedwig and the Angry Inch (#91)
25. Surf's Up (One-Pointer)

Have seen so far: 7 - Monsters Inc was alright, I only seen bits and pieces of Punch Drunk Love
Have not seen so far: 21

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Now it’s a party! Punch Drunk Love was my #7. Yes, I’m in the bag for PTA but, also, Punch Drunk Love just rocks. So much nervous energy enhanced by a super cool score. Humor in almost every scene. PSH killing it. A sweet love story at its core. I love it more each time and I just watched it about a month ago. Great film.

I like Monsters Inc quite a bit but, unfortunately, I think my days of gushing over and rewatching animated movies are behind me. Even the ones I like are just kind of there when I put them on now.

I've seen and enjoyed both films, but neither made my ballot. Punch-Drunk Love, though pretty good, is one of my least favorite Anderson films and Monsters Inc is a pretty good, albeit middle-of-the-pack Pixar film which was released in the middle of their golden age.

It's worth noting that, up until this point, the distance in points between each entry hasn't been more than 2. We've also had three 2-way ties, three 3-way ties, and one 4-way tie, which should give you all an idea of how close AND spread out the votes were. That will continue for a bit and it won't be until way further along that votes will spread out more.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. Monsters Inc. is solid, but it's one of those films that I've practically watched to death on account of younger relatives so I never feel like rewatching it. Punch-Drunk Love is another one I've given at least a couple of chances to win me over (and I was planning on doing so again with a full PTA rewatch in the lead-up to Licorice Pizza) but so far it hasn't clicked. Maybe once I get around to that full rewatch, but we'll have to wait and see.

Monsters Inc. is delightful. For all the **** I’ve given the aughts Pixar really was in its prime this decade. Monsters Inc didn’t make my list because I already had three other Pixars on it.

PDL is fine.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Monsters, Inc. is poignant, exciting and funny with great vocal performances by Crystal and Goodman.
Punch-Drunk Love resonated with me because the Adam Sandler character reminded me of one of my best friends and his family, so the fact that I could get into the idea of my friend having a positive romantic fantasy was appealing to me. If I didn't have a friend so similar to that character, I'm not sure that I'd buy into the "outrageousness" of the entire story.
Neither made my lisr.

One I've heard of and the other I actually seen, yeah

Seen Monsters, Inc...not my favorite Pixar but like most all Pixars well made.

I've heard of and have wanted to watch Punch Drunk Love for the longest time. The reviews are usually real positive for it so I'm guessing it's a good one.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is decent enough but I'm not a huge fan. No problem wth it being on this list, of course, it has a good following. I haven't seen The Devil's Backbone. I'm just not into horror/thriller types of movies. I do like del Toro, though so I should give it a shot. Every October I'm all "okay gonna watch a bunch of horrors leading up to Halloween" but do I? No. I do want to be cool and get 100% (or high 90%) watched on this list so maybe I'll knock off this and The Decent, get in the holiday spirit.

Monsters, Inc. is upper tier Pixar, not top tier, though, that would be reserved for the one I voted for and a few others. Punch Drunk Love, PTA can do no wrong, right? At least in my book. Maybe Magnolia.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

P.T.A.'s Punch-Drunk Love was #30 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List. PIXAR's Monsters Inc. was #83 on that list as well as #7 on the MoFo Top 100 Animated Films List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
• For a long time, I've not paid attention to Punch-Drunk Love though I've noticed its popularity among the crowd. Finally, I saw it about a year ago mostly because of the name of Paul Thomas Anderson who is one of my loved new generation filmmakers.
Not bad movie, probably my #49 of the 2000's.

• As for the Monsters, Inc., no matter of the strong advertising since its release, I still don't have interest.

Seen 11/28.
--
My list:
#9. Amores perros [#81.]
#14. The Man Who Wasn't There [#84.]

--
(seen one pointers 3/38)

Not on my list Top 100 movies I'd support:  

Punch Drunk Love was good but also my least favorite PTA, that is until Inherent Vice came out. I could use another viewing.

Seen Monsters a couple of times and I like it ok.

Critics

Critics thoughts on our #74, Monsters, Inc...

It currently has an 96% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 8.1/10 score on IMDb (with 861,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★ and said:
"Monsters, Inc. is cheerful, high-energy fun, and like the other Pixar movies, has a running supply of gags and references aimed at grownups."
Meanwhile Chuck Rudolph, of Matinee Magazine, said:
"Even with all the good cheer on display, this represents the first instance in which Pixar's ability to produce a thoroughly magical experience hits a brick wall."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @MovieMeditation said:
"Here is a movie that seems to monstrously increase in quality with every new viewing. I always liked it, certain aspects I loved, but I do really think this is one of the very best movies from Pixar, which makes it even worse when the general response isn’t quite up there with the likes of Toy Story and such. Because this movie did for monsters in the closet what Toy Story did for toys on the floor and moreover the concept for Monsters, Inc. seem even more ingenious than what came before."
On the other hand, @Citizen Rules said:
"I liked Monsters, Inc. I thought it was well done, well animated, with some real talent doing the voices. I was really into the first couple scenes, but then when the film switched to a fight against good and bad and became an action-adventure chase, it lost me. And yet people love chase scenes in all types of movies, but not me. Thus Monsters, Inc. isn't really a film I enjoyed and yet I could see how people could love it."

Knock, knock. Who’s there? My number #9 and that is the amazing Monsters, Inc.

The first one from my list too. I think it’s one of Pixar’s best. The concept is brilliant and original, the humor is lovely, the pace great and the heart is huge. And that door climax is stunning still to this day. So much fun. My last rewatch was practically so perfect it was almost scary.

One should know I do love me some PTA. He’s my favorite working director, but this one just missed the cut. I love the film though, make no mistake. I’m glad to see it on the list though it’s probably too low.

I haven't seen Monsters Inc since I was a kid, I'd like to rewatch it, I have good memories of it.

Punch Drunk Love is an interesting movie, I think the themes it tackles are important and the film treats them effectively. However, it's not a very enjoyable movie, I've seen it twice and I never really enjoyed myself. Also, the films looks very good, the cinematographer did well, the way Sandler dresses, the decision of making him work in something that looks like a storage unit makes the film visually memorable which is a good thing (even though not enough to make it a film I really like).

I saw Monsters Inc. when it was new, but didn't think much of it. My favourite thing was a toy of the villain my little brother had, that had spider legs that actually moved around. I don't actually remember much about the film other than a whole pile of closet doors though.

I haven't seen Punch-Drunk Love. Despite having watched a number of Adam Sandler films, I really don't like him as an actor, even when he has a more serious role like in Uncut Gems, so I probably won't ever watch it unless I have to for a HoF or something.

Seen:
13/28

My List:
08. Mother (2009) - #96
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
16. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #76
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

Critics

Critics thoughts on our #73, Punch-Drunk Love...

It currently has an 79% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 7.3/10 score on IMDb (with 157,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★½ and said:
"In voice and mannerisms he is the same childlike, love-starved Adam Sandler we've seen in a series of dim comedies, but this film, by seeing him in a new light, encourages us to look again at those films. Given a director and a screenplay that sees through the Sandler persona, that understands it as the disguise of a suffering outsider, Sandler reveals depths and tones we may have suspected but couldn't bring into focus."
Meanwhile Derek Adams, of Time Out, said:
"The film looks good and has its funny moments, but too often one senses Anderson straining to impress."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @Ezikiel said:
"This film is a romance masterpiece, Paul Thomas Anderson has created one of my favorite love story films... His screenwriting is wonderful... This film will always stand out in my mind as, a great romance story, Adam Sandler's best performance, and yet another Paul Thomas Anderson masterpiece. Best film of 2002."
On the other hand, @Iroquois said:
"I'm more than ready to write this off as my least favourite PTA film by a considerable margin. Sandler is used to good effect, but it's at the expense of virtually every other actor in this film. Writer-director PTA cares enough to shoot this film with extreme clarity but the writing leaves a lot to be desired and makes the film a chore even when it barely reaches the 90-minute mark. Basically, I can see that there is something of worth about this film but I still struggle to actually like it."