Sick and tired of sequels ruining classic movies.

Tools    

It's not the disappointment. For me, it's A) the sheer unnecessity of a sequel/prequel/remake, B) the complete and utter disregard for the fans of the orginal pictures and C) the fact that every time I watch the orginal I have to think about A & B and how much the sequel/prequel/remake/filmmaker sucks. There are other reasons, too, but those are the three biggies, I think.

And, again, for films or series of films with dorky mythologies, it's a doubly egregious .... slap.

Can I say ".... slap" on the Movie Forums?
Okay, your point A is pure opinion, your point B speaks to film (particularly prequels & sequels) being a business to most who make them versus a labor of love (beyond the original with a few exceptions), and C if you'd take my advice and ignore them you'd be better off cause then they'd stop making them and you wouldn't have reason to suffer.

And D). I won't edit your post but Yoda might

Wait a minute. AVP was good? I thought everybody (except for me and the little travelocity gnome guy) hated that flick.

The third Terminator was pretty good too btw.

Classics should have plot driven sequel that at least stays true to some elements of the original. If they release a sequel to your average movie and it fails you do expect it.

Predator 2 was pretty good but I wouldn't say it was on par with the original. It didn't bomb the franchise though like T3.

Wait a minute. AVP was good? I thought everybody (except for me and the little travelocity gnome guy) hated that flick.

The third Terminator was pretty good too btw.
Who said AVP was good ? If it was in my post I referring to the Predator and Alien movies that came before it not AVP itself.

What did you like about T3?

Classics should have plot driven sequel that at least stays true to some elements of the original. If they release a sequel to your average movie and it fails you do expect it.
But a lot of them do, its just that they are not always what you expect them to be yeah? That doesn't necessarily mean they are bad, maybe they are just bad for you. I can think of several sequels that were highly enjoyable. Predator 2 was fantastic too.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
If Godfather 1 and 2 can survive part 3, any film can survive a bad sequel.
What seems to be suggested upthread is that the people who made the bad sequels were coasting, cashing in on the work of those who did the classics. I suppose that happens in some instances, but the fact in the business is (and this may sound familiar) you're only as good as your last film. So I just don't think people are going into the making of these things as casually as has been suggested.

But a lot of them do, its just that they are not always what you expect them to be yeah? That doesn't necessarily mean they are bad, maybe they are just bad for you. I can think of several sequels that were highly enjoyable. Predator 2 was fantastic too.
In the case of the movies I mentioned, its not just a plot twist or a new direction but a lack of quality acting, writing, director etc. Sure T3 has some good action scenes but does it measure up next to T2, no. That isn't hard for any adult to see. The Godfather series is a classic example of this.

What sequels can you think of ?

Anyone who can think of good sequels post them please.

Two have already been mentioned and they are both excellent. Predator 2 and Godfather 2. I can name off several but I'm already losing interest. There are several threads about this type of topic. Like this one and this one.

Scan through those a bit and I'm sure you can find some of what you may be looking for.

Two have already been mentioned and they are both excellent. Predator 2 and Godfather 2. I can name off several but I'm already losing interest. There are several threads about this type of topic. Like this one and this one.

Scan through those a bit and I'm sure you can find some of what you may be looking for.
Yeah they are but your not paying attention, since we have discussed both of them and both of the films you mentioned had poor sequels following them.

Im here to just discuss in this thread and see what people think but thanks for the links.

Sub-standard sequels to classics, however bad they themselves are, don't ruin the originals for me. They may offend me on a very fanboy level, but in some cases these inferior products make me cherish the classics even more. Another thing these ill conceived movies do is force me to question the logic and heart of those responsible for breathing life into our beloved stories in the first place, only to sell them out for a quick buck and a minute under the sun. And before any of you ask, I am not talking about Spielberg or Lucas...

Alright, maybe I am.

Im here to just discuss in this thread and see what people think but thanks for the links.
Technically Powdered Water is correct in directing you to existing threads as here at MoFo we tend to like to compartmentalize our discussions in this way. I let your thread slide because you said you wanted to discuss a specific few films versus having a wider argument that's perhaps already been covered in the threads that PW linked you to.

Originally Posted by Sam
I suppose that happens in some instances, but the fact in the business is (and this may sound familiar) you're only as good as your last film. So I just don't think people are going into the making of these things as casually as has been suggested.
That's really the salient point in this discussion. Hollywood film is a business at its heart and sequels are only spawned by the commercial success of an original.

All that said, this discussion at its heart is about opinion. Personally, I love the Friday the 13th franchise as well as the Halloween franchise in all of their terrible splendor. I think Powdered Water and myself, in particular, are big fans of bad movies so perhaps that mind set allows us to be a bit more forgiving. As for other great sequels, I think ExorcistIII is a better film than the original Exorcist though I love both of them. I even like ExorcistII though I don't expect any public support on that one.

A system of cells interlinked
In the case of the movies I mentioned, its not just a plot twist or a new direction but a lack of quality acting, writing, director etc. Sure T3 has some good action scenes but does it measure up next to T2, no. That isn't hard for any adult to see. The Godfather series is a classic example of this.

What sequels can you think of ?

Anyone who can think of good sequels post them please.
There are multiple threads about sequels that are as good, almost as good, or better than the original film, but I will list a couple here:

Aliens - Although the first film is my personal favorite, most folks seems to like Aliens the best. It is certainly a fantastic film, and regarded as one of the better action sci-fi films ever made by many.

X2 - This one is better in almost every way than the original, IMO.

The Empire Strikes Back - Again, I like the first Star Wars the best, but this one is considered to be the most well directed film of the bunch, and also the more dark and operatic film, as well.

T2 - I notice you skip over comparing T2 to the original, while lambasting the third film (rightfully so, IMO). T2 another example of a general consensus I have noted in that it outshines the original. I disagree, personally, as I like the gritty tech-noir feel of the first, but T2 is clearly well liked, and is considered to be a groundbreaking film. It is certainly well liked.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - The director's cut of Star Trek:The Motion Picture made it a much better, more concise, and better paced film, but Star Trek II is still much better.

A Shot in the Dark - Not a direct sequel to The Pink Panther, but it is the second Clousou picture, and I think you would be hard pressed tyo find someone that likes the first film more than this one. Superior in almost every way. One of my favorite Sellers films.

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - The best of the trilogy, hands down, and it's the third film in the series.

The Road Warrior - I certainly like the second film more than the first.

Bride of Frankenstein
- Hard to top the first film, but alas, this does it.

Clear and Present Danger
- A loose sequel to, and better film than Patriot Games.

Exorcist III : Legion - This is one of my favorite suspense/horror flicks of all time. I won't say it is better then the original, because it probably isn't, but it is DAMN good. This is a great set of films for this topic, because The Heretic is quite possibly one of the worst films I have ever seen, but it in no way tarnishes the first film, nor the third, IMO.

Evil Dead II : Dead by Dawn - Half sequel, half remake, it is the definitive Evil Dead film.

The Dark Knight - The most recent Batman film is the best of the bunch.

So no - sequels don't ruin the originals in many, many cases, IMO.

The only problem I have with sequels is when there gets to be to many. For example, the Halloween series. I think there are 8 films in the series (not including the remake). That's way too many. If filmmakers are going to make a series of movies, make a good, solid trilogy at most and then stop. I have already hears rumors of a Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and Spider-Man 4. They just need to stop. Spider-Man 3 was bad enough as it is, there doesn't need to be another one.