The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Trivia about Heat that I love... is the firefight scene...

Mann set up microphones around the city to record the blank firing guns... and they simply used the sound recording in the final cut of the movie instead of dubbing over the track with fake Hollywood gunshot sounds.
Along with the brilliant cinematography, it gives the scene huge impact when it actually sounds real as well.

This list is really interesting. Did not expect American History X to be here. I don't know Mofo at all. I thought I had a pretty good guess saying Fight Club would be the highest not to make it, I am certainly doubting that now.

Anyway, been a minute since I have watched either of these. For different reasons. I didn't dislike American History X, but it is so bleak I don't have any real desire to rewatch it.

I bought Heat a while back planning on a rewatch but it is so flippin long, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I like it though and will do that rewatch eventually.

Oh, and nobody is irredeemable, thank God!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Heat was pretty good the first time around. I still like the movie and it used to be in my top 100, but it's fallen a bit since.

Haven't seen American History X.

Were people just looking at the old list when they compiled their lists here? More than I thought showing up from that old one.

Welcome to the human race...
People still care about American History X? Okay, whatever.

Heat is an all-time favourite, but it wasn't in my top 25. Maybe it should've been.

I think Nick loves Mabel. Just look at the way he looks at her when he's calm. That's a look of love.
There are no end to the flaws of Nick's character and how he treats Mabel and whether he is the cause of her mental disintegration, but I don't see any reason to doubt his love. He is incapable of dealing with the demands this relationship is putting on him, and this is causing him his own sort of breakdown, because he wants to help but can't. He can barely help himself.

It's an extremely complicated relationship in one way, but very simple in another.

Seen (and own) both - much prefer Heat of the two and glad to see it turn up, American History X is still decent but am a little surprised to see it retain a place on the countdown tbh.

Seen: 25/32 (Own: 10/32)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
68. The Revenant (2015)
67. The Wizard Of Oz (1939)

Two films I've watched many times, own both on DVD and good to see both here. Neither made my list, but if expanded to a hundred, then yes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

22/29 seen
1/22 on clues (I'm done here, think point has been made...)
3/25 off list

#12 Young Frankenstein (14 pts- #77)
#10 American Beauty (16 pts - #79)
#22 Harold & Maude (4 pts - #90)

Most Michael Mann movies generally leave me lukewarm. Heat would fall into this category. I can't say I have any real complaints about it. It looks great, full of good performances, is a unique take on the genre. And I do like it. But, as a whole, I don't see why it is the Mann movie that seems to always rise to the top of the pile. Thief is pretty easily his best, from my metrics.

I think American History X is hot garbage. There are another couple of movies here that I don't like that much (Terminator 2, American Beauty), but this is the only one so far that I find to be legitimately bad. Maybe I'm missing something but it has the empty look of an arty perfume commercial, every narrative beat is predictable, the characters seemed pulled from a cautionary daytime special on the perils of racism and it has the most surface understanding of the cause and ultimate moral collapse of those who peddle racial hatred. Is it meant to be cliched to all hell, as some kind of comment on America's soap opera reality? Are we supposed to be ten steps ahead of everything that is going to happen, maybe as a comment on the inescapable fate of harbouring poisonous dogma? Maybe. I don't know. Obviously I must be misreading something here because, personally, I completely understand why the original director wanted to take his name off of it. A real turkey of social commentary.

Wow, miss a couple days and your 40+ pages and 700+ replies behind.
TIL; Airplane! is kind of a remake.
Quick catch-up: West Side Story would probably make my top ten fav musicals of all time, super classic! I expect one or two more musicals to make it. Only seen American Beauty once, in the theaters back in the '90’s and was really impressed back then, probably won't revisit though. Same goes for American History X. Stand By Me is a solid film that has been on previous versions of my 250. Metropolis is an important influential film for sci-fi and cinema in general but I respect it more than I love it.

# 32
Heat 1995 Directed by Michael Mann

^ Close to perfect crime drama that almost made my ballot.

Haven't seen Young Frankenstein or A Woman Under the Influence.

Seen: 25/32

Ballot:
2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day 1992 (71)
6. Enter the Dragon 1973 (97)
23. Star Wars 1977 (78)

Watchlist:
Suspiria, The Seventh Seal, The Castle of Cagliostro, A Man For All Seasons, Irreversible, Army of Darkness, The 10th Victim, Malena, Sunday in New York, Ikiru, Cabaret, Harold and Maude, 8 ½, Young Frankenstein, A Woman Under the Influence

Williams 3 - 0 Morricone

Oh, and nobody is irredeemable, thank God!
Yes! What kind of **** ass world would this be if people could never right the wrongs they have done? The idea of redemption can be one of the motivating factors which makes someone turn their life around. Why make it more difficult by classifying certain people as being beyond it?

shrugs

Haven't seen A Woman Under the Influence

T2 is very good. Just watched it again this past summer and there were scenes in it that I didn't remember at all then I realized it was the Director's Cut which had been sitting on my shelf for years and I had never watched it. I like this as much now as I did when I saw it in theaters. I prefer The Terminator but that's more about how much I love that one than any knock on the sequel.

Heat is outstanding.
but it didn't make my list. Top 100 definitely and my favorite Al Pacino role. He's just Pacino enough when he needs to be to make it fun ("GREAT ASS!") but not too Pacino to make it laughable. Greatest shootout ever.

American History X is also very good. It's not something I sit around and think "Ya know what I'm in the mood for? Some American History X." I think I've seen it about 3 times and that's enough. It also has a scene that is a pet peeve of mine in movies and it's when actors are playing a sport that they can't play. Especially if the movie is trying to be real. The basketball scene is, yeesh... I could go down to the corner park right now and find a half dozen, five foot tall kids on Christmas break that would break Nortons ankles and tear his team apart on the court. Again, just a little pet peeve of mine. It's a good movie.

Big fan of Heat although I think there are better Michael Mann films. Wasn't a fan of American History X and think I remember disliking the ending.

32/32 seen.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I didn't really appreciate Heat. Maybe I should give it another go someday, but it's not high on my list of films to revisit, honestly.

I did appreciate some of American History X. I can see why people love it and also why they really don't. I know there's a few people on here who really like it so not surprised to see it show up here.

Nice to see Heat on here. It's probably my favorite Mann. He's the best - and well, maybe only - director at depicting the mindset of the perfectionist workaholic and this movie best captures the consequences of that lifestyle.

A mildly interesting story: I actually went to the restaurant in L.A. with the iconic coffee scene and asked the host to seat me where De Niro and Pacino sat. He gave me a "great, one of those people" look, and I can't confirm if he sat me at the actual table, but he was nice enough to show me a list of restaurant bookings made by celebrities and even what they ordered.

I like Heat, but I'm not as big a fan as a lot of people. Granted, my appreciation for it has grown the more I rewatch it, it's a film I like a lot, but it's not a film I love.

American History X I haven't seen in 15-20 years, but even when I saw it, I wasn't a huge fan of it. I remember having some issues with its middle act, or something. I dunno, but I haven't cared enough for it to rewatch it.

Never seen Heat.

American History X used to be in my top 10 when I first got into film, but it fell out of my favorites list over time. It's not that I have any issues with it per se. Like, I think it's pretty good and all. I just haven't really felt any need to go back and rewatch it. I feel like I've already experienced the best it has to offer already. In my case, it was a gateway film that I fell out of touch with once I watched more classic films.

I think I've only seen Heat once. I did like it, but wasn't blown away overall.

I love American History X. A great film last time I checked.

Non were on my list though.